Topics

DSO

Dan Reynolds

I am thinking very hard about upgrading my oscilloscope.
I have an Iwatsu 60 MHz, 4 channel that I purchased off eBay. It works fine. I got some 'Chinese' probes off eBay as well and they work great.

So why do I want to upgrade?
Well, partly because I'm not really that good with an o'scope. Seems strange to upgrade right? Well the newer DSO scopes with LCD screens are super smart. Some will 'autorange' for you and not only that - the most important thing is they tell you the frequency and voltage of the signals you're looking at.

Ham radio is my hobby, not my livelihood and I do enjoy learning all I can - to a point. When it becomes work I'm not quite as interested. The flip side is an o'scope is one of the most handy tools you can have.

Which is why I'm at this crossroads.
Seems to me a DSO (a cheaper DSO, one of the Chinese models) will actually help me learn more and let me enjoy my building more. My number one ham activity is building.

This is the one I'm considering: http://goo.gl/7rJKB
Warning - this is an eBay ad...
I don't expect this to be a Tektronix. I don't expect it to be perfect. I've seen some reviews of their other products and most seem to like their stuff (Hantek). I think my main concerns are bandwidth and samples per second. Well and cost of course! Another thing, this particular seller has a 99.9% positive rating. I'm assuming if they sold junk it would catch up with them. And I've been watching this thing for months. I've read the blogs, EEV, forums, eHam, etc. I know that the Chinese DSO's are the hot ticket now for engineers. But I'm not an engineer, I'm a hobbyist.

You don't have to talk me into one, I've pretty much accomplished that. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same thought pattern and has purchased one and it has helped you. Or what do you think?

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Phil Anderson

Hi Dan. My old 50 MHz Techtronics scope died on me a couple of years ago but I liked it too because it was so basic.

I decided to buy a new Tech and to my surprise when it came it had the Tech label on the front but it was clearly built in China. I must admit that I do like some of the new-fangled features like FFT, which allows you to obtain the frequency response of a circuit you are working on; that's very handy when working with filters. Also, I was able to plot the frequency response from my YEASU FT450D in the various CW settings..............

However, I know what you mean about the techy nature of these new gadgets. While I now like this "modern" scope, it did take some time to work my way through the manual and get used to the 30 buttons and many menus!

Reminds me of my new YEASU FT-450D with all of its buttons and menus. When it comes to a QRP rig, I find I want the minimum number of controls on the front panel!
So I know what you mean.

Hey, go for that scope! 72, Uncle Phil in Lawrence, KS

Dan Reynolds wrote:

[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Dan
Terry and Bert both bought new scopes at Dayton last year, I can't remember the brand, but they will sing dance and take names almost!!
Hopefully they will chime in on the subject!
72
Johnny

On Friday, June 7, 2013, Dan Reynolds wrote:

[...]

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

if your interested.
 I purchased this one about 7 months ago.
Best money spent in log time <http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/owon/sds-series/sds7102.htm?gclid=CLzOnuGP07cCFQfl7AodNDoAYg>

--
Wiol ono

Dan Reynolds

Thanks for all the information from all of you. I do appreciate it. And I got a lot of positives on the reason to want a DSO.

I've pretty much settled on a Hantek DSO5072P DSO. It is a 70MHz bandwidth, 1Gs, 2CH. It has a 7" color screen (WVGA 800x480). I've been corresponding with a guy on EEVBlog who has modified the "family" of scopes that the main boards come from to the 200 MHz model. And figured out how to modify the input circuits to allow the best performance up to 200 MHz.
Not sure that I'll do that but it is an option if I want it to work for some 2 Meter work...

I chose the Hantek primarily for the price but I do like it's UI and the screen layouts. Many have said that the build quality on the Hantek's is chintzy and toy-like but I don't care about that. The same basic board is used in two or three different MFRs DSOs. The main difference is the amount of memory depth it has. Which also doesn't matter that much to me. After all I'm replacing an analog scope. Any memory depth will be better than what I have!

Thanks again guys.
73
Dan - KB9JLO