QRP SSB

Dan Reynolds

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Johnny AC0BQ

He Dan
You know, the last time I checked SSB Is ham radio too!
Congrats Dan, nice job!  I am assuming you we're Qrp?? Hi hi!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Friday, August 2, 2013, Dan Reynolds wrote:

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Dan Reynolds

QRP 24 hours every day! Hi, hi!
Just bagged S54ZZ, Simon, in Slovenia, 4850 miles!

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

He Dan
You know, the last time I checked SSB Is ham radio too!
Congrats Dan, nice job! I am assuming you we're Qrp?? Hi hi!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Friday, August 2, 2013, Dan Reynolds wrote:

**

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag
because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote
from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300
miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR
but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Walter - K5EST

Dan, nice contact.....maybe I'm warped but QRP is QRP.  Glad you are carrying the torch!!

Some amazing SSB QSOs on 15 and 12 meters at 5 watts on a FT-817 just makes the QRO guys scratch their heads :-)

Best of DXing..72..Walter . K5EST

On Aug 2, 2013 7:15 PM, "Dan Reynolds" <on30ng@...> wrote:

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Jim Sheldon

Good job Dan.

It's even more fun to check into a ragchew net full of SSB KW stations on 160 meters using a K2 @ 5 watts with stations from New England on one side and New Mexico on the West end.  Embarrassed the heck out of them when the found out I was QRP and using a low hanging quarter wave inverted L antenna. The worst signal report I got was 57 and that was before I told 'em what I was running.

Did it on 20 RTTY into Poland with my KX3 and a vertical from OzarkCon too.  Lots of fun huh, Walter?

W0EB

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 2, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

Dan, nice contact.....maybe I'm warped but QRP is QRP.  Glad you are carrying the torch!!

Some amazing SSB QSOs on 15 and 12 meters at 5 watts on a FT-817 just makes the QRO guys scratch their heads :-)

Best of DXing..72..Walter . K5EST

On Aug 2, 2013 7:15 PM, "Dan Reynolds" <on30ng@...> wrote:

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Jim
You know sometimes they have selective QSB they find out you are QRP!
Good to hear frm u guys.
Have a great weekend,
Johnny AC0BQ

On Friday, August 2, 2013, Jim Sheldon wrote:

[...]

WA0ITP

WooHoo!!

Congrats, aint it a blast!

----------------------------------
Real radios weigh less than a pound.
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

| Just bagged S54ZZ, Simon, in Slovenia, 4850 miles!
|
| --- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:
| >
| > He Dan
| > You know, the last time I checked SSB Is ham radio too!
| > Congrats Dan, nice job! I am assuming you we're Qrp?? Hi hi!
| > Johnny AC0BQ
| >

| > On Friday, August 2, 2013, Dan Reynolds wrote:
| >
| > > **
| > >

| > > Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag
| > > because I'm AMAZED.
| > >
| > > I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote
| > > from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300
| > > miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR
| > > but it's still a contact! :-)
| > >
| > > I know guys I should be using CW...
| > >
| > > 73
| > > Dan -- KB9JLO

davemrtn

Way to go Dan.

SSB QRP is my favorite mode and >90% of my QSL'd SSB contacts DX and US is QRP SSB.

I think Japan is the only DX I actually used 100W, and now wish I hadn't.

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

James Brock <jbrock@...>

I don’t get much time to operate but on 40 meters with five watt ssb have worked CA, UT,  NM, LA, MT, ID, WA, TX, HA, AL, VE7, VE8, Japan and some more that I don’t remember right now.  With less power than a little flashlight and working stations well over a thousand miles for me is exciting.  Have made some good contacts on 20 meters also.

I enjoy operating with 5 watts and solar panels here at the house field day.

Jim   W7DAU

Yup, an OT, got my license in 1956!

I am running a 42 ft. vertical with well over 2,000 effective ft. of radials.

SSB QRP is my favorite mode and >90% of my QSL'd SSB contacts DX and US is QRP SSB.

I think Japan is the only DX I actually used 100W, and now wish I hadn't.

On 08/02/2013 07:15 PM, Dan Reynolds wrote:

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to brag because I'm AMAZED.

I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)

I know guys I should be using CW...

73

Dan -- KB9JLO

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Walter - K5EST

With the great response of SSB ops maybe we should look to a common SSB frequency for the 4sqrp members.  Any thoughts?

72....Walter . K5EST

Jeremy Utley

On 8/3/2013 12:10 AM, Walter - K5EST wrote:

With the great response of SSB ops maybe we should look to a common SSB frequency for the 4sqrp members.  Any thoughts?

72....Walter . K5EST

__.
I myself would love this!  Something like 7122 is for the CW guys would be great!  Heck, maybe even a Wednesday night SSB net?  I'd even be willing to try my hand at net control of that one, at least part time!

The NJQRP web site lists 7285 as a recommended QRP calling frequency for US ops, 7090 for EU.  That is up there in the SW area of the band tho.  I haven't listened to what the clear frequencies are, but maybe we could adopt something around that - maybe down 3 (7282) if there's no SW there.  Just a thought - I'm open to just about anything!

Jeremy, N9PH
From beautiful Iola, KS

Walter - K5EST

Yes Jeremy, a 4sqrp SSB watering hole!  Not sure about getting too close to 7.285 MHz since the AM phone guys hang around there with a  w i d e signal. And 7.275 has a group that is pretty active. Maybe 7.278 ... could do some listening over a few days.

72...Walter . K5EST

Glen <glene77is@...>

"SELECTIVE QSB" is no joke.
Several times I had a good QSO going,
and then mention that I'm QRP at 1 Watt.
"??? QSB ??? 73 "

Speaking of    QRP-SSB    and    QRP -W,
maybe there should be designations for SSB-QRP and CW-QRP ,
some special pet name,     just so we can tell which group is speaking.

Congrats to anybody who makes a very long distance QRP SSB contact !
QRP with SSB is much more difficult than for CW.
With all that QRP RF spread out over 2.1 KHz bandwidth,
it is no 'calculated' match for CW.
QRP with SSB is much more difficult than for CW.
Congrats to anybody who makes a very long distance QRP SSB contact !

I am not biased in favor of SSB,   I have never operated any phone rig.
Have always operated CW, way back  in 1958,  and now again in 2013.
1958,  My ARC-5 did not send AM,    and my '46 BUG did   not listen to my voice.
2013,  My HW-8 will not send SSB,    and my '46 BUG will not listen to my voice.

This is a really interesting Radio Operators group.

--- In 4sqrp@..., Johnny Matlock wrote:

> Ge Jim
> You know sometimes they have selective QSB they find out you are QRP!
> Good to hear frm u guys.
> Have a great weekend,
> Johnny AC0BQ
>
> On Friday, August 2, 2013, Jim Sheldon wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > Good job Dan.
> >
> > It's even more fun to check into a ragchew net full of SSB KW stations on
> > 160 meters using a K2 @ 5 watts with stations from New England on one side
> > and New Mexico on the West end. Embarrassed the heck out of them when the
> > found out I was QRP and using a low hanging quarter wave inverted L
> > antenna. The worst signal report I got was 57 and that was before I told
> > 'em what I was running.
> >
> > Did it on 20 RTTY into Poland with my KX3 and a vertical from OzarkCon
> > too. Lots of fun huh, Walter?
> >
> > W0EB
> >

> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On Aug 2, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Walter - K5EST walter.k5est@... >
> > wrote:
> >
> > Dan, nice contact.....maybe I'm warped but QRP is QRP. Glad you are
> > carrying the torch!!
> >
> > Some amazing SSB QSOs on 15 and 12 meters at 5 watts on a FT-817 just
> > makes the QRO guys scratch their heads :-)
> >
> > Best of DXing..72..Walter . K5EST
> > On Aug 2, 2013 7:15 PM, "Dan Reynolds" on30ng@... >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> **
> >>

> >> Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to
> >> brag because I'm AMAZED.
> >>
> >> I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running
> >> remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still
> >> almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts to
> >> a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)
> >>
> >> I know guys I should be using CW...
> >>
> >> 73
> >> Dan -- KB9JLO

Dan Reynolds

David, Walter, everybody, thanks.

I like QRP. I love my 817. And I love making DX QRP SSB. I don't think I'm a real DX'er - I just like it when I hear one and wait around and finally make a QSO. I have no dreams of DXCC or anything like that. My biggest goal, 1000 miles per watt, I earned earlier this year. Now, it'a all fun.
Last night I ended up with a UK, a Czech Republic and a Slovenia. 20 meters was hot last night.

I agree on a 4SQRP SSB watering hole. How about 7.222 or 14.222? i know .285 is the "official" on several "lists" but I've yet to hear QRP on there ever.

I'm not giving up on CW. But I'm better with a mic than a key... At least up to this point. But Terry & Johnny are pushing me and I'm going to keep trying. The rigs are sure easier to build! Hi, hi!

Thanks again for the encouragement. And pick up a mic sometime. Hopefully it won't bite you! ;-)

73
Dan -- KB9JLO
https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

Dan Reynolds

You got that right. If it's a regular stateside QSO, I sidestep the whole "what rig you got and what power are you running?"  I swear 90% of the time your QSO will END right then and there!
I guess some guys don't feel like they're "real men" when they're talking to a QRP'er or something.

I prefer to think of it like fishing with light tackle. Yeah, I can yank that bluegill in on 20# test but it sure is a lot more fun on light tackle. And you feel like you accomplished something when you do.

Can I get an AMEN? Hee, hee...

--- In 4sqrp@..., "Glen" wrote:

> "SELECTIVE QSB" is no joke. Several times I had a good QSO going, and
> then mention that I'm QRP at 1 Watt. "??? QSB ??? 73 "

davemrtn

Amen.......
BTW, ultralight gear is the only equipment I fish with.  It IS more fun !!

--- In 4sqrp@..., "Glen" wrote:

> "SELECTIVE QSB" is no joke. Several times I had a good QSO going, and
> then mention that I'm QRP at 1 Watt. "??? QSB ??? 73 "

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Casey

"QRP Syndrome" has been around quite a long time. I first notice it probably around 1979.

One of my favorite QSO
's was a guy bragging about being stuffed from having just finished eating a very fine meal. A couple of go-round's later I mentioned that I was QRP running a Ten Tec. His next transmission was that he had to QRT immediately, since his wife just called him for supper. I didn't get a return QSL from him. Perhaps I should have included a packet of anti-acids with my card ;)

I posed the question s to WHY, and several thought the QRO guys are embarrassed by how much they spent on their equipment. Many surely don't want their wives to know that they have thousands in the Rigs and thousands in the Towers and Antennas, and some guy with a $100 in a little bitty box and a chunk of wire can talk to the same places world wide.....

73 de Keith ~ KC9IH
NAQCC, 4SQRP, SKCC, MI-QRP, 10X
QRP-ARCI, Flying Pigs, GORC, et al
Previously ~ WD9GKA, WB9HCL, K9UCF
http://hamradionation.com/home.php
http://hamgallery.com/Tribute/K9EAB/

Curt

Dan

often we don't need those extra couple S-units after all (but sometimes we do!)

I use to to more 'QRP' SSB when my K2 only could do 10 watts, just to enjoy its niceness compared to my then larger rig. of course, often it worked fine.

I also sometimes enjoy a state QSO party, and sometimes I infer based upon the path where QRP will work well. Sometimes I can't 'compete' with 100 watts because I am too close to the target state for any 20m QSOs -- but find that QRP SSB works well on 40m (and sometimes even a few on 80m) to add some contacts to what I am getting on CW.

of course, the main motivation for QRP is (a) building stuff and (b) portable operation. the SOTA ops do find SSB is useful in their bag of tricks, and here multi-band capability is a virtue -- so I sense they will be less motivated to use homebrew or 'simple' kit rigs. as those KX3's and even K2's are rather pricey -- one can wonder if there would be a market for a dual-band (20/40m) SSB/CW QRP rig that is easy on the battery and wallet? hard to say, and equally hard to design for 1/2 price (maybe also half the size) of a K2?

well if you arrange your shack so that a CW rig is normally the incumbent, you might do more CW ! my 'homebrew' headset doesn't yet fit my K2, so I do more CW. but during '6m season' I do find myself being more bi-modal.

I did use my 'PTO stack' of Cyclone and NC2030 in a recent QRP contest. One needs to find opportunities to get their nice lesser rigs into the starting lineup. Not much Cyclone traffic - so maybe everyone's build is going smoothly.

73 Curt

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Reynolds" <on30ng@...> wrote:

Hey guys had another one this evening and I just had to share. Not to
brag because I'm AMAZED.
I talked to Geoffrey G8OFQ/DL portable (well sort of). He's running
remote from Hamburg, Germany - his rig is in the UK. But that's still
almost 4300 miles. Was on 20 meters SSB. And yes he's running 400 watts
to a SteppIR but it's still a contact! :-)
I know guys I should be using CW...
73Dan -- KB9JLO

Dan Reynolds

Keith, I too wonder why. If we go back to the fishing analogy, a bunch of fishermen lined up on the bank - nobody would blink an eye if one guy was using light tackle or ultra-light tackle and another guy was using a stick! As long as we can make the contact why does it matter?
I guess this is one of the mysteries of life... I just don't like being shut down because I'm not running a jiggawatt (borrowed from back to the future).
I like the magic.

This sure has been an entertaining thread. So, what did we decide on for a "watering" hole?

--- In 4sqrp@..., casey kerchner wrote:
> I posed the question s to WHY,
> and several thought the QRO guys are embarrassed by how much they spent
> on their equipment. Many surely don't want their wives to know that they have thousands in the Rigs and thousands in the Towers and Antennas,
> and some guy with a $100 in a little bitty box and a chunk of wire can
> talk to the same places world wide.....

Walter - K5EST

Had my receiver on scan since we first talked about a group SSB watering hole. The lower SSB freqs of 40 meters (here) seem to be busiest vs the higher end of the band. On or about 7.278 MHz has been the quietest, here!

Hope we can find something soon!

72....Walter . K5EST