KA0KRN David,  Ottumwa, IA
AC0WZ  Dan, Fulton, MO
K0SSZ  Jason, Emporia, KS
K2HT  Dick, Wellsville, MO
Good net, no qrm, tnx fer checkins,
N0TGR  Dick, Augusta, KS   NCS

Phil Anderson

Virgil,

It has been perhaps 15 years since I've been on a digital mode other than CW. Perhaps it's
time to check back in? In that regard:

1. What is the most popular program people are using that is compatible with system 7?
2. Where is the current best starter documentation?

Uncle Phil, W0XI, 4sqrp #13.

Only 7 or 8 months until the next OZARKCON!

Jeremy Utley

On 8/15/2013 11:26 AM, Phil Anderson wrote:

Virgil,

It has been perhaps 15 years since I've been on a digital mode other than CW. Perhaps it's
time to check back in? In that regard:

1. What is the most popular program people are using that is compatible with system 7?
2. Where is the current best starter documentation?

Uncle Phil, W0XI, 4sqrp #13.

Only 7 or 8 months until the next OZARKCON!

Probably the two best are DM780 or FLDIGI.  I personally use FLDIGI all the time, because of it's cross-platform capability (I can use the same software in both Windows and Linux).  Works great on Win7 - that's what my radio desktop runs usually.

As far as documentation, there's plenty out there.  Most of the difficulty is getting your interface set up right, and your volume levels correct.  For my own purposes, I feel that using the Signalink USB is the best solution - this device essentially becomes a second sound card connected to your computer - this way you can configure the software to use the signalink, while your "normal" windows sounds still use the primary sound card on the computer.  Plus, the pre-made cables make the setup a no-brainer.  I myself use the Signalink, with their cables and a plug&play jumper board to fairly easily change between my FT-920 and FT-817.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Jeremy, N9PH
Iola, KS

Virgil R. Hammond <n0tgr@...>

Phil:  Digipan and Fldigi are two of the psk programs in use today, just google them in
and download. that's about all that I can tell you  Dick, N0TGR