keying circuit

n0jrn <n0jrn@...>

Gang:

IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
between rigs.

Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
to multiple outputs.

Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
capacitors on the grounds ??

Just curious.

thanks;

Jerry N0JRN

* On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
Gang:

IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
between rigs.

Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
to multiple outputs.

Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
capacitors on the grounds ??
Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.

72, de Nate >>

n0jrn <n0jrn@...>

Thanks Nate:

BUT, I have all the isolation I need inside the electronic
keyer. I just want to switch it's output to multiple rigs
and not sure if I need anything to protect from RF etc.

I'm looking into this for a friend and he wants to use his
keyer on 4 seperate rigs without plugging and unplugging.

I don't see much of a problem with just switching the output
of the keyer.

Just curious if I need to protect the circuit in some fashion.

73 Jerry

----- "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

* On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
Gang:

IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
between rigs.

Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
to multiple outputs.

Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
capacitors on the grounds ??
Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.

72, de Nate >>

WB9DLC - Mike Barrell <wb9dlc@...>

Radio Shack has a 2 pole 6 pos. Switch Model: 275-1386.

Can't imagine making it any more complicated.

73
Mike - WB9DLC
HTTP://wb9dlc.com

----- "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@...> wrote:

> * On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
> > Gang:
> >
> > IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
> > it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
> > all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
> > between rigs.
> >
> > Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
> > to multiple outputs.
> >
> > Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
> > switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
> > capacitors on the grounds ??
>
> Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
> positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
> etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
> between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.
>
> 72, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Todd K7TFC

I'm with WB9DLC. A rotary switch is the way to go. Use one pole for the signal and one for each ground. That is, don't use a common ground. Run a separate ground from each radio.

Also, I'd be inclined to use a "break-before- make" rotary rather than a "make- before-break" variety.

Best

Todd

----- "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@...> wrote:

> * On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
> > Gang:
> >
> > IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
> > it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
> > all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
> > between rigs.
> >
> > Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
> > to multiple outputs.
> >
> > Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
> > switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
> > capacitors on the grounds ??
>
> Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
> positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
> etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
> between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.
>
> 72, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

davemrtn

I agree, you should not tie all the grounds together, it can cause problems... been there done that.

You can get a 3 pole rotary switch from Jameco and that will allow you to switch 3 circuits.� You'd want to do this if you are using an iambic key.

You will need to mount any jacks used on a non-metalic surface to keep the ground circuits isolated from each other.

On 10/14/2013 10:57 PM, Todd F. Carney / K7TFC wrote:
�

I'm with WB9DLC. A rotary switch is the way to go. Use one pole for the signal and one for each ground. That is, don't use a common ground. Run a separate ground from each radio.

Also, I'd be inclined to use a "break-before- make" rotary rather than a "make- before-break" variety.

Best

Todd

On Oct 14, 2013 8:46 PM, "WB9DLC - Mike Barrell" <wb9dlc@...> wrote:
�

Radio Shack has a 2 pole 6 pos. Switch Model: 275-1386.

Can't imagine making it any more complicated.

73
Mike - WB9DLC
HTTP://wb9dlc.com

���

----- "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@...> wrote:

> * On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
> > Gang:
> >
> > IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
> > it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
> > all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
> > between rigs.
> >
> > Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
> > to multiple outputs.
> >
> > Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
> > switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
> > capacitors on the grounds ??
>
> Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
> positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
> etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
> between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.
>
> 72, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

I guess most people don't think because it's too tedious for them!
What I like about naps is, I can get them done while I'm sleeping.
If they can, they do; without thinking if they should.

�

Wayne Dillon

I have a similar set-up. electronic keyer and a rotary switch, however, being the kinda person I am I added jacks at the back of the box for paddle input and straight key, the straight key is parallel with the keyer output. Speed control and memory buttons on the front along with led's to indicate which output I'm switched to and viola. I know, a little over the top but hey, we all march to our own beat right?
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM, n0jrn <n0jrn@...> wrote:

Gang:

IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
between rigs.

Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
to multiple outputs.

Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
capacitors on the grounds ??

Just curious.

thanks;

Jerry N0JRN

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

* On 2013 14 Oct 22:42 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
Thanks Nate:

BUT, I have all the isolation I need inside the electronic
keyer. I just want to switch it's output to multiple rigs
and not sure if I need anything to protect from RF etc.

I'm looking into this for a friend and he wants to use his
keyer on 4 seperate rigs without plugging and unplugging.
I guess I missed that part. I was assuming keying all at once.

72, de Nate >>

Tom Sevart

On 10/14/2013 21:25, n0jrn wrote:
Gang:

IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
between rigs.
I think I'd just use a simple rotary switch. I've got a couple of 12 position switches which are adjustable from 2 to 12 positions. Just connect a common ground and then have the input connected to the switch common, and then each rig connected to one of the switch positions.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Wayne Dillon

Hi David and the group.
Just curious, why not tie all the grounds together? am I missing something here? With my "multi switching" box all the grounds are tied together and I've had no problems...
God Bless all de Wayne - KC0PMH

----- "Nate Bargmann" <n0nb@...> wrote:

> * On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500, n0jrn wrote:
> > Gang:
> >
> > IF you have an electronic keyer and you want to use
> > it with multiple rigs without plugging and unplugging
> > all the time, what circuit would you use to switch
> > between rigs.
> >
> > Electronic keyer would go to the switch and switch
> > to multiple outputs.
> >
> > Doesn't seem like it would take much more than the
> > switch but would you use diodes on the outputs,
> > capacitors on the grounds ??
>
> Seems like the ideal application for optocouplers. Bias one for
> positive keying and the other for negative keying (TS-520, TS-830,
> etc.). Use as many as needed for multiple rig outputs. Isolation
> between rigs and between the tigs and keyer.
>
> 72, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

I guess most people don't think because it's too tedious for them!
What I like about naps is, I can get them done while I'm sleeping.
If they can, they do; without thinking if they should.

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Jim Sheldon

Wayne & all,
The only reason not to have all the grounds tied together is in case there is an older rig that uses high voltage, negative voltage, in the keying circuit like some of the older Kenwoods that had tube finals and the Heathkit tube rigs.  Some people still do have them ya know, hi hi.

If that were the case, one could get into a bit of trouble due to voltage feedback on the ground circuit keying rigs that weren't supposed to be keyed.

I really don't see a problem with it as 99 percent of the rigs today have + voltage on the tip circuit in the Jack and most everything is solid state anyway, but like I said, there are still that 1 percent of the older rigs in use.

I'd bet that most people who have the older rigs would be using opto-isolators or reed relays of some sort when using a solid state keyer for CW.  Mechanicals such as hand keys/bugs wouldn't be a problem except for the possibility of the negative voltage on the old grid-block keying rigs affecting the newer positive voltage keying circuits.  The other problem would be that a grid block keyed rig usually had a negative 80 volts or so on the key jack and that might prove detrimental to any solid state devices unless they were designed to handle high voltage.

Jim - W0EB

> Hi David and the group.
> Just curious, why not tie all the grounds together? am I missing
> something here? With my "multi switching" box all the grounds are
> tied together and I've had no problems...
>
> God Bless all de Wayne - KC0PMH
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM, David Martin
> wrote:
>

>> I agree, you should not tie all the
>> grounds together, it can cause problems... been there done that.
>>
> You can get a 3 pole rotary switch from Jameco and that will allow
>
>> you to switch 3 circuits.  You'd want to do this if you are using
>> an iambic key.
>>

> You will need to mount any jacks used on a non-metalic surface to
>
>> keep the ground circuits isolated from each other.
>>
> On 10/14/2013 10:57 PM, Todd F. Carney / K7TFC wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm with WB9DLC. A rotary switch is the way to go. Use one pole
>>> for the signal and one for each ground. That is, don't use a
>>> common ground. Run a separate ground from each radio.
>>>

>>> Also, I'd be inclined to use a "break-before- make" rotary
>>> rather than a "make- before-break" variety.
>>>

>>> Best
>>>

>>> Todd

> Mike - WB9DLC

> BUT, I have all the isolation I

> keyer. I just want to switch it's

> and not sure if I need anything to

> I'm looking into this for a friend

> keyer on 4 seperate rigs without

> I don't see much of a problem with

> of the keyer.
>
> Just curious if I need to protect

> 73 Jerry
>
> ----- "Nate Bargmann"

>> * On 2013 14 Oct 21:26 -0500,

>>> Gang:
>>>
>>> IF you have an

>>> it with multiple rigs

>>> all the time, what

>>> between rigs.
>>>
>>> Electronic keyer would

>>> to multiple outputs.
>>>
>>> Doesn't seem like it

>>> switch but would you use

>>> capacitors on the

>> Seems like the ideal

>> positive keying and the other

>> etc.). Use as many as needed

>> between rigs and between the

>> 72, de Nate >>
>>
>> --
>>
>> "The optimist proclaims that

>> possible worlds. The

>> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and

>> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com OzarkCon is coming April 4-5,

> --
> David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
> Mountain Home, Arkansas
> Guns don't kill people, any more than spoons & forks cause
>
>> obesity.
> I guess most people don't think because it's too tedious for them!
> What I like about naps is, I can get them done while I'm sleeping.
> If they can, they do; without thinking if they should.

Wayne Dillon

Thanks Jim,
If I'd have thought it through I'd have figured it out :) But thanks for taking the time to respond.