Topics

Regenerative receiver thoughts

Paul Smith

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

Johnny AC0BQ

Sounds interesting to me Paul.
Anyone one else in the group interested?
Johnny AC0BQ

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

On 10/16/2013 7:09 PM, Johnny Matlock wrote:
�

Sounds interesting to me Paul.

Anyone one else in the group interested?
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013, Paul Smith wrote:
�

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"

�� It would be a fun amount of learning for me. Nothing too official--to help keep the cost down. I just came across one project that covers the freq. range of 3.5Mhz, to 12Mhz. It uses a "Far Circuits"���
�� board. What kit(s) did you have in mind? I wonder what limitations have been over come with time and practice.� shawnr kf7yff
���

Bill VanKirk

Count me in as well.

de Bill W0PT

I'll raise my hand now that we're heading back into the cold time of the
year. I'm more of a kit builder than a parts scrounger so I lean that
way when possible. I built the Hendricks Scout regen kit and while it
was a nice first time experience for someone who had never played with a
regen before, it is better suited to general listening than as a serious
amateur band receiver, but I knew that going in.

What would really tickle my fancy would be something more serious for
our use on 80 and 40m CW with an adequate bandspread. Last year I found
The Radio Board forums:

http://theradioboard.com/rb/index.php

which is an interesting read and a source of inspiration. I think it
would be cool to have a regen with a PLL LO with a digital readout. And
I'd like a tube regen designed for amateur use just for SKN, etc.

72, de Nate >>

Wayne Dillon

Make that 3 other guys!
God Bless, Wayne - KC0PMH

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Shawn Reed <neivahul@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Paul Smith

I have read a bunch about the WBR receiver and I like the looks of the Desert Rat that NA5N did. I think regens were and probably still are a 3 handed radio to operate....
There are several designs out there...
de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:41 PM, Shawn Reed <neivahul@...> wrote:

[...]

Mangin Ben

I'm also interested and will follow the topic's evolution closely.

Even a single band design would be fine, as I am working on an homebrew transceiver, possibly single-band, to start with.

First things first.

With kind regards,

de F8GRY

De : Paul Smith
À : "4sqrp@..." <4sqrp@...>; Shawn Reed
Envoyé le : Jeudi 17 octobre 2013 13h33
Objet : Re: [4sqrp] Regenerative receiver thoughts

[...]

GB Hoyt

I'm down, have parts gathered for something I saw in the W1FB design notebook. uses a 2n4416 for regen, and a 386n for audio amp. pretty low parts count. needs a variable cap though. I've got something laying around I can use, fortunately.

I really want to build something with tubes, but I'm working on a single tube MOPA right now.
73,
GB Hoyt
KG4GVL
Lakeland, FL

Wayne Dillon

I was reading the tale of a ham in the late 20's (I think) who traveled from Florida to the Rockies and was operating a Regen Receiver. The tale is in Ade Weiss's book "A history of QRP" under the title "The Pacos River" neat tale and real interesting that he was using "separates". As I said the Regen receiver and a simple transmitter.
Now somewhere I got some circuits for Regen receivers hmmm, gonna have to dig and see what I can come up with. This is a real interesting thread.
As an aside, in the UK in the 60's and 70's Regen receivers were almost banned by the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications because they said that the radiation from the antenna of such a receiver was detrimental to reception of the broadcast stations of the day. They were never actually banned but if interference was reported and a local ham happened to have a Regen set then that got the blame automatically.
Lets keep this going and it'll be interesting to see where it leads.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM, GB Hoyt <qrprat77@...> wrote:

[...]

WA0ITP

GM Guys,  This might be a good receiver for your build.   Dave has a regen design that was published in Oct 95 73 Magazine, and FAR has a board for it.  See info below, and the 73 article here.  http://archive.org/stream/73-magazine-1995-10/10_October_1995#page/n27/mode/2up

HIGH PERFORMANCE REGEN ARMSTRONG S/W RECEIVER BY CRIPE

73's Oct95

Customer Comment: I built the Armstrong Update regenerative receiver from Dave Cripe's article. As promised, the 1496 detector produced uncommonly smooth regeneration control and his use of a 324 op amp as both an audio filter and a push-pull gives adequate, clean audio. Like other regenerative circuits, this one is sensitive to its surroundings and benefits from good shielding and layout after the board is working. The Far Circuits board worked the first time but care should be used to avoid control wires crossing each other as they leave it.

GL and have fun.

----------------------------------
Real radios weigh less than a pound.
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP

[...]

KK0S

Paul and the gang - Put my nae on your list.

72

Bruce - KK0S

---In 4sqrp@..., <psmith61@...> wrote:

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

Virgil R. Hammond <n0tgr@...>

Last year I purchased the Hendricks Scout Regen. recvr. and like it very much.
Dual band 3.5 to 10 mhz. through hole soldering and very simple to construct.
Plays well for s regen circuit.  Dick N0TGR

---In 4sqrp@..., wrote:

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

cbayona <CBayona@...>

I would also be interested in a regenerative radio, specially if it's a ham band edition with good band spread controls and an isolation stage to keep from radiating RF. Bipolar or FET transistors would be fine even tubes but that would make it not very portable. My main interest would be a radio stable and good enough to use in making contacts.

The WBR Regen Receiver by N1BYT seems like a decent radio, and it would not be too hard to limit it's tuning range to the 40M or 80M band.
< <http://arp75.free.fr/PortailARP/file/2011/n1byt%20_wbr.pdf>http://arp75.free.fr/PortailARP/file/2011/n1byt%20_wbr.pdf >
< http://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/the-wbr-a-simple-high-performance-regen-receiver-for-40m-by-n1byt/ >

---In 4sqrp@..., <psmith61@...> wrote:

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

--
Cecil - k5nwa

---

Kelly E

I would like to be on the list too. I have built the Ten Tec 1253 and have fun listening around with it. K4AHO built the WBR and did some mods and it sounded really sweet when he brought it to our Central FL QRP outing last fall.

Sort of fun to do a group build and compare notes/help one another troubleshoot like happens on the QRP-Tech yahoo group.

72,
Kelly K4UPG
Orlando, FL

On 10/16/2013 9:40 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

Is there anyone out there beside me that would like to build a regen receiver ? I know there are a couple kits available. I built the ten tec kit with some success. I am NO good at manhattan work but would like to do a regen kit with a couple bands. Is there any interest or is it me and a couple other guys.
What say you?

de Paul N0NBD

David Donaldson

Count me in.  It has been a few years since I built one of those.  Sounds fun

Dave
Wb7dru
Burnsville, Mn

Sent from my android device.

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Wow! Lots of interest in regens expressed here. All those posts and no mention of the Yahoo group dedicated to regens. Siggests that all those ineterested people do not know about it - yet. There is often a lot of activity there and people busy with regen construction using both vacuum tubes and solid state construction.

So here it is:

It's s closed group which holds down the SPAM! Go there and sign up. See you there. I have and operate a National SW-3, RCA RAK-7 and two other regen projects under construction here. Regens don't have to be "little toy radios".

73,

Bill KU8H

Phil Anderson

GOSH............NOBODY MENTIONED MY AUDIO REGEN
CW FILTER CALLED THE SCRUBBER......OH WELL

72, UNC PHIL

http://www.midnightscience.com/kits.html

Bill Cromwell wrote:

Hi,

Wow! Lots of interest in regens expressed here. All those posts and no
mention of the Yahoo group dedicated to regens. Siggests that all those
ineterested people do not know about it - yet. There is often a lot of
activity there and people busy with regen construction using both vacuum
tubes and solid state construction.

So here it is:

It's s closed group which holds down the SPAM! Go there and sign up. See
you there. I have and operate a National SW-3, RCA RAK-7 and two other
regen projects under construction here. Regens don't have to be "little
to y radios".

73,

Bill  KU8H

<*>  Your email settings:
     Individual Email | Traditional

<*>  To change settings online go to:
     (Yahoo! ID required)

<*>  To change settings via email:
     4sqrp-digest@...
     4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

<*>  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Michael McShan <n5jky@...>

OK, I'll mention it. :-)

I built one and it works great.  Reminds me the Q multiplier on my Drake 2-B.

72,
Mike N5JKY

Bill Cromwell wrote:

[...]

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Bill,
The problem with the regenrx group is that they really try to discourage
building with anything other than tubes or as the Brits like to say, valves.
I have been a member for quite a while and 99% of the posts there relate to
tube regens. Every now and then someone actually gets upset if another user
says something about building a solid state regen.
Jerry W5JH