Cryptic mailing to the list

Jim Sheldon

Hi Don and anyone else concerned.  Thanks for asking that.  I had not really done a voltage test under load on that thing and it really needs to be done, so I just did a no-load, 250ma load and 2.5 amp load test on one of those little power supplies I mentioned earlier and the results are in.

Voltage @ 0 load  = 13.95
Voltage @ 250ma = 13.80
Voltage @ 2.5 Amps =13.35

I used the KX3 as the load source.  No load, KX3 off, 250 ma, KX3 receive @ max volume with LCD backlight on at it's brightest and all extra current hogging options turned on and 2.5 amps was at MAX transmit power (12 watts out into a dummy load).

The supply max current spec is 4.0 amps but I didn't have thing on hand with which to load it that heavy.  I do think that .6 volt drop from no load to just over half rated load is very acceptable and as someone else using the same supply said, it's very quiet.  I have searched long and hard with the KX3's excellent receiver and have not found any birdies that I can attribute to the supply.  I've used one for about a year now and haven't found any reason to leave it home.  It was the supply I used at OzarkCon on the KX3.  The K3 I had there was, of course, run on my MFJ 4245 MV supply.

Jim

> On 12/03/2013 09:07 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
>

>> Sorry about that - the email was originally intended for Terry
>> WA0ITP, regarding his article in the latest "Banner" on wall
>> warts for "Motel" power supplies.  I forgot to include the URL
>> when I told him about an inexpensive, RF quiet switcher that puts
>> out 13.8-14 volts at 2.5 to 3 amps.  It's designed as a
>> replacement supply for ACER and Samsung monitors and Amazon has
>> them for $9.99 plus shipping. I got one to with my KX3 when I'm
>> close to AC power and it worked so well I picked up another one
>> for a spare.  They are spec'd at 14 volts output but both the
>> ones I got measure 13.8 volts which is pretty much the design
>> voltage on just about every QRP rig that runs on a nominal 12
>> volts anyway.  They are over voltage, over current protected and
>> cheap enough that buying one might even be cheaper than a wall
>> wart plus the 7812 regulator if you don't already have such in
>> your "junque box". Jim - W0EB
>>
> Jim,
>
> Is that 13.8 vdc measurement under load and if so, how much load?
>
> Don AE5K

> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> 4sqrp-digest@...
> 4sqrp-fullfeatured@...
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: 4sqrp-
> unsubscribe@...
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:

Don Jackson

[...]

WA0ITP

Maybe it could stand for "Homebrew"   :o)

Real radios weigh less than a pound.
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP