Topics

WC7S - 160 test

Dale Putnam

Well.. now.. the 160 test is over... and there still aren't any degrees around here... at least not enough
to rub together to make it warm... .. so, I picked up my qrp K2 and relocate a coax run.. into the office in the
warmer part of the house. My shack was 40.. house is 65 at night.. much better for finger talkin.
  So.. after a weak start.. and a bit of fun early on... and crashing ... for a while... then getting up with an urge
to test new antenna... the results are in..
With over 4 hours in... and 103Q 47 mults.. and a score of 9682... maybe the new antenna is a keeper?

The band seemed ok.. but with QSB and noise a lot like 80... with signals fading within 10 minutes from very loud to
QSP... sometimes rebounding.. sometimes not.  Areas of the country, just not hearing as well as normal? Noise level higher than usual, at least part of the evenings?

Some of the stations were hearing very very well.. and some of the QRO stations.. couldn't hear much at all...

Is it just me or did it seem a bit "different".. ?? OR.. is it just the effect of a new antenna here?

Thank you, for your input,

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Jim Sheldon

Hey Dale,
Nope, it WAS a bit different.  We had a fairly major solar flare and are currently (last couple days as well) experiencing a geomagnetic storm.  That is most likely what caused the major QSB.  It was noted here as well.  I did manage some DX - C6, PJ2 KP2 and a couple of Mexican stations but they were really weak and if I hadn't had the help of the K3's really great RX, they would have been relegated to the "never heard 'em" file.

It looks like your new antenna was NOT the problem, just crappy conditions.  Try the Stew Perry later on this month with the same antenna.  That will give you at least two contests with which to compare results.  If and I do mean IF conditions happen to be a bit better for the Stew Perry, QRP ought to really work.

I did run QRO in this one (500 watts) because I used my very low strung inverted L as my Butternut HF2V vertical with a homebrew 160 meter loading coil doesn't have enough bandwidth for contesting on 160.  Even with my KAT500 tuner, I can only get about 35 KHz centered around the bottom end.   I can get the whole band using the KAT500 and the inverted L.  No radials under the L so it doesn't radiate well but it does exhibit fairly low noise on RX so I find that stations hear me with 500 watts & not with 100 or less under conditions like we had this weekend even though I can hear the QRP statioins quite well..

Jim - W0EB

> Well.. now.. the 160 test is over... and there still aren't any
> degrees around here... at least not enough to rub together to make
> it warm... .. so, I picked up my qrp K2 and relocate a coax run..
> into the office in the
> warmer part of the house. My shack was 40.. house is 65 at night..
> much better for finger talkin.
> So.. after a weak start.. and a bit of fun early on... and
> crashing ... for a while... then getting up with an urge
> to test new antenna... the results are in..
> With over 4 hours in... and 103Q 47 mults.. and a score of 9682...
> maybe the new antenna is a keeper?
>

> The band seemed ok.. but with QSB and noise a lot like 80... with
> signals fading within 10 minutes from very loud to
> QSP... sometimes rebounding.. sometimes not.  Areas of the country,
> just not hearing as well as normal? Noise level higher than usual,
> at least part of the evenings?
>

> Some of the stations were hearing very very well.. and some of the
> QRO stations.. couldn't hear much at all...
>

> Is it just me or did it seem a bit "different".. ?? OR.. is it just
> the effect of a new antenna here?
>

> Thank you, for your input,
>
> Have a great day,
>

> --...   ...--
> Dale - WC7S in Wy

dave <ho13dave@...>

Dale,

Tell me about your new antenna . . .

73 de dave
ab9ca/4

On 12/8/13 10:27 AM, Dale Putnam wrote:

[...]

Wayne Dillon

Hi Dale,
Yeah, cm'on share... always interested in an antenna that will "go" on 160 and this one certainly would seem to "Go".
Great job and a real nice score to boot. Well done sir.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM, dave <ho13dave@...> wrote:

Dale,

Tell me about your new antenna . . .

73 de dave
ab9ca/4

On 12/8/13 10:27 AM, Dale Putnam wrote:

> Well.. now.. the 160 test is over... and there still aren't any
> degrees around here... at least not enough
> to rub together to make it warm... .. so, I picked up my qrp K2 and
> relocate a coax run.. into the office in the
> warmer part of the house. My shack was 40.. house is 65 at night..
> much better for finger talkin.
> So.. after a weak start.. and a bit of fun early on... and crashing
> ... for a while... then getting up with an urge
> to test new antenna... the results are in..
> With over 4 hours in... and 103Q 47 mults.. and a score of 9682...
> maybe the new antenna is a keeper?
>
> The band seemed ok.. but with QSB and noise a lot like 80... with
> signals fading within 10 minutes from very loud to
> QSP... sometimes rebounding.. sometimes not. Areas of the country,
> just not hearing as well as normal? Noise level higher than usual, at
> least part of the evenings?
>
> Some of the stations were hearing very very well.. and some of the QRO
> stations.. couldn't hear much at all...
>
> Is it just me or did it seem a bit "different".. ?? OR.. is it just
> the effect of a new antenna here?
>
> Thank you, for your input,
>
> Have a great day,
>

> --... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy