DO YOU COPY CODE AT 13 - 20 WPM .....BUT NOT AT 5 TO 10 OR 21-50?

Phil Anderson

HI Guys,

If the answer to the subject question is yes - or maybe - then you simply have not studied at enough
different speeds. While we say that Morse Code is a language, perhaps the real answer is that it is "many"
languages, one at 5-10, one at 10-15, and at 15-20, etc.

My guess as to why this seems to be the case is due to our limited short term memory. When the code
is very slow, we don't hear words at all, just charcters.....so our table lookup memory handles the characters
AOK but doesn't have enough sort term storage to put together the characters into words and then group the
words conveying the real message. However, if we speed up the WPM or use mostly just Q signals and a
standard message format, then our mind hears QTH as "my location is" and there is still enough short term
memory left to save the following city and state names or anticipate that.

I'm up to about 50 words I recognize at 40 to 50 WPM by their unique sounds. I'm working on the second 50 so
I can be proficient with 100 words at 50 WPM. Gotta practice 20 to 30 minutes per day, over and over.

A crystal radio friend of mine, Jerry O"Neill, sent me an exercise listed below that bolsters my "theory" written out above.
It proves to me that one need not hear all of the letters in a spurt of a few words in order to perfectly understand the
message. Give the exercise a try. I was able to do it if I read it fast but not if I read it slow.. Sounds like the "Morse
Problem" right?

Have Fun!, 72, Uncle Phil, W0XI

Here's a Doctor Dementia exercise to test your skills....

I've seen this with the letters out of order, but this is the first time I've seen it with numbers. Good example
of a Brain Study: If you can read this
OUT LOUD, you have a strong mind. And better than that: Alzheimer's
is a long long, way down the road before it ever gets anywhere near you.

7H15 M3554G3

53RV35 7O PR0V3

H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N

D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!

1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!

1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG

17 WA5 H4RD BU7

N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3

Y0UR M1ND 1S

R34D1NG 17

4U70M471C4LLY

W17H 0U7 3V3N

7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,

B3 PROUD! 0NLY

C3R741N P30PL3 C4N

R3AD 7H15.

PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F

U C4N R34D 7H15.

To my 'selected' strange-minded friends: If you can read the following paragraph, forward it on to your friends.

If you can read this, you have a strong mind.

Can you read this? Only 55 people out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch
at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt if you cn raed this fowrad
 on and be hapy you are tsill in gd shape!

I must be twisted as I could read both out loud to my self FB, 5x9, es
QSL OM!!

72, de Nate >>

Michael McShan

Looks like some of the essays I get from students… Therefore, I’ve had lots of practice. ;-)

72, Mike W5RST

HI Guys,

.