Topics

RTTY in days of old

Jim Sheldon

Hi Guys,
Anyone on here that used to run RTTY back in the Machine days or early computer days?  I have a friend that's looking for an old HAL ST-6000 Terminal Unit in working or mostly working order.  (We can troubleshoot it & fix it if we can find one with the books intact).

Also, I've been scrounging stuff and have come up with a HAL CT-2100 with the optional KB-2100 keyboard that wasn't working -- one 25K PC mount pot and some solder joint touch up and it's playing just fine.

Was in our local Radio Shack/Ham Store yesterday and the owner talked me into buying a HAL DKB-2010 CW/RTTY Keyboard for 10 bucks.  He said he had no idea whether or not it worked, and with only minor cleanup it runs just fine as well.  Good find for 10 bucks for sure.

It does have a few "bouncy" key switches on the keyboard.  They are Stackpole computer keyboard switches and I'm looking for an old mechanical computer terminal keyboard with those type switches if anyone happens to have one laying around they don't want anymore.

Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Dale Putnam

Hi Jim and group,
  I have run rtty with and ST-3, St5, ST6, and machines including model 14, 15, 19, 23. 32 and 33, along with a Mite and a couple others...  With TUs, as mentioned and
the PacCom, for Pactor, and the Mailbox version of the MFJ (I think it is) terminal.
I have a number of boards, and parts, including a couple dedicated puters, a 286 machine.. and such.. maybe even the commodor 64..
Here's the deal... if you can or think you can.. or would be interested in some/all.. please send me a note.. I have had many hours with this equipment..
no machines.. now.. but with the rest... it won't be a turnkey ready to play outfit.. but it will have enough to be very interesting..
so email with an interest, and we'll work out how to get it from here to there.. I really don't want to throw it away...
there is way too much fun left in it yet.
Jim?? anyone??   I might even find the mites.. if you want me to look...
Please, works!

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: w0eb@...
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:33:01 -0600
Subject: [4sqrp] RTTY in days of old

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jim,

I once acquired a teletype machine and started working toward getting it on the air. There was something like homebrewed ST-xxxx TU as well. I had an old Radio Shack Color Computer (remember those?) and I got a communication program for it that would do RTTY through the TU. Before I finished the loop supply and connections I acquired my PK-232. The big machine and the TU went to a good home with somebody who still likes those things. I traded up from RTTY to Amtor and more recently to PSK-31. I still have the 232 and I still sometimes mess with RTTY. This crew seems pretty much unafraid of nippers and soldering irons. Maybe take a shot at building some things to get you on RTTY - if you don't already fldigi running.

On 12/15/2013 06:33 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
[...]
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4sqrp/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbWh0bWM0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg3MDE2MjU2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MDA0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM4NzE1MDM3OA--?act=reply&messageNum=4004>

Wayne Dillon

Hi Jim,
Yeah I was one of those folk, many years ago I had a Creed 7B with an interface designed and built by an old instructor of mine Stuart Dodson - G3PPD. I gota tell ya that machine darn near caused a divorce! I picked it up at the Sandown Park Ham Radio convention (United Kingdom), the guy says, "buddy if you can get it shifted you can have it!" I was there with a chum of mine who had a minivan so yeah, I shifted it. I was a lotta fun (and a lotta noise) but grand times.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

WA0ITP

Great sound from the past   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP

Dale Putnam

Wow! That was a trip.
In the dim past... well, maybe not so dim now, I used to run to the teletype machine, to grab the latest weather forecast,
to append to the end of the newscast, on the local radio station, before I laid another "golden oldie" on for the huge audience. (never knew for sure how many, but I didn't have any trouble at all giving away records or prizes.)
I'd scoot to the tty machine, grab the wx, run to the kitchen grab a cup of coffee, and slip back onto the standup stool, and that was all done in less than 60 sec. (one break).. Trips to the bathroom were reserved for songs. (they lasted about 3 minutes)
  The sound of the tty machine was never to go over the air... (manager's decision).. if it did, that meant the door to the tty closet, (and it was just a closet), didn't get closed correctly.. You could NOT slam it in haste.. that would automatically cause the phone to ring, manager calling...   "Don't slam the tele door!"

  I also had a nice arrangement of TTy machines in my ham shack too... models 14, 15, 19, 28, 32, 33, and others...
I finally had to let them all go... the cost of oil ... and all that. ;-)

Thanks Terry, there is no other sound like that.. many try... many fail.

does anyone ever get all the oil out from under the fingernails?

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: wa0itp@...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:45:52 -0600
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] RTTY in days of old

Great sound from the past   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP

Jim Sheldon

Back in the late 70's when I was stationed in Augsburg, Germany, I owned a Model 28 ASR, almost like the one in the video, but mine was colored light grey.  Mine had the speed change transmission in it so I could operate 60, 75 or 100 wpm just by moving a lever inside the case.  I built a digital ID unit for it that coupled to the "Here- Is" key and would also respond to the RTTY Signal WRU (Who Are You) and output DE DA1GS (my call over there at the time).  Dieter, DJ8KI bought it off me when I left Germany in 1979 and I reprogrammed the ID unit with his call.  Didn't want to spend the extra money to have it shipped home.

Wife was glad I didn't ship it -- too noisy.  Had several Kleinschmidt units at various times after I got back, and finally with the advent of the old Radio Shack TRS-80 and Color Computers, I finally ditched the "rattle-bangers" and that helped keep peace in the family.  Now that she has her ticket, she said she kinda misses the old machines.

I just completed a deal with a fellow QRP'er on the east coast for a TONO EXL-5000E self contained unit that does RTTY, ASCII, AMTOR and CW.  It will run on AC or 13.8 DC and has a built in 5" video monitor.  This is the unit all the DXpeditions used to use because of it's ability to run off battery.  Original cost on these was around $900 but I picked this one up in working condition for under $100 shipped.  Now all I have to do is find the service manual on it so I can fix it if it ever breaks.

It does have X-Y outputs for a tuning scope, comes with a keyboard for transmit and will actually do commercial SITOR as well as both FEC and ARQ Amtor.  Not too many guys run ARQ any more though as I haven't heard it in the RTTY portion of 20 for a year or two now.  According to all the reviews though, the box copies RTTY extremely well and supposedly if you can hear the signal it will decode and display it.  There is a Centronics parallel printer port on it so you can get hardcopy if you want to, but except for a traffic net, or copying RTTY pictures that would really be a waste of paper due to the built in video display (it also has an output so you can use a bigger video monitor if you like).

According to FedEx tracking, it'll get here the day after Christmas.  I have a PDF file of the user's manual so I've got all my cables made up and it will connect directly to the K3.  It can run AFSK or direct FSK for transmit and the K3 has a direct FSK input.  That makes it nice because when the signal is tuned for receive, the transmitted signal will be right on frequency and the logging program will log the MARK frequency as it should.

Jim - W0EB

> Great sound from the past
>
> ----------------------------------
> Back to the
> bench, Winter's too valuable to waste.
> I love this radio stuff
> !
> 72  WA0ITP

Johnny AC0BQ

Pretty Neat Terry
Pam heard me playing the video and wanted to know if it was a sewing machine!!
I said no,  it it runs just as smooth!

"More smiles per Watt!"
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2013, at 11:45 AM, "WA0ITP" <wa0itp@...> wrote:

Great sound from the past   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP

Tom

I have an TG-7-B made for the Army Signal Corp. with documentation , manuals, dry ribbon, no paper rolls.
One of the manuals has some paper work from NAAS OCEANA dated 1943. I believe this machine came from the estate of John Orr of magnetic recording tape fame.
I would like to see this machine go to a good home .... It's been in my basement for many years . I did have it connected to a Mister RTTYTerminal at one time just on receive . So if you have a semi tractor trailer and forklift it's yours..
Tom WA4ZOF

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 21, 2013, at 13:03, Johnny <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Pretty Neat Terry
Pam heard me playing the video and wanted to know if it was a sewing machine!!
I said no,  it it runs just as smooth!

"More smiles per Watt!"
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2013, at 11:45 AM, "WA0ITP" <wa0itp@...> wrote:

Great sound from the past   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP

Jim Sheldon

For those of you that don't know what a TG-7B is, it's the old Teletype Corp. Model 15 KSR  (KSR stands for "keyboard send/receive") and it has a keyboard.  These were the mainstay of ham RTTY for many, many years.  Museum quality stuff - LOL!

Jim - W0EB

> I have an TG-7-B made for the Army Signal Corp. with documentation
> , manuals, dry ribbon, no paper rolls.
> One of the manuals has some paper work from NAAS OCEANA dated 1943.
> I believe this machine came from the estate of John Orr of magnetic
> recording tape fame.
> I would like to see this machine go to a good home .... It's been
> in my basement for many years . I did have it connected to a Mister
> RTTYTerminal at one time just on receive . So if you have a semi
> tractor trailer and forklift it's yours..
> Tom WA4ZOF

Jim Sheldon

Auburn, Alabama is a long haul from Park City, Kansas Tom, besides my wife would kill me if I brung a Model 15 back into the house.  She remembers the days when I was doing preventative maintenance on a couple of them in the shack.  Standard procedure was, disconnect the loop supply, let the machine run "open" and pour 30 weight motor oil on the felt clutches.  Those buggers could sling 30 weight in ALL directions for varying distances usually exceeding 30 feet.  My shack walls had oil spots all over them - LOL!  Those days are NOT missed on the distaff side of the house - HAH.

Jim - W0EB

>>> www.wa0itp.com
>>> www.4sqrp.com

Hardly the romance associated with older TTY equipment, but the
Dataspeed 40 terminals and printers haunted my territory in Oklahoma for
18 months after I started with Union Pacific RR in 1991:

http://www.nadcomm.com/40dataspeed.htm

I didn't find a video of the printer, but those guys had an endless belt
with at least two sets of fonts. They ran rather quickly as I recall.
They were heavy enough that one could have easily chocked a train with
one in a pinch! The terminals were close to indestructable as well.

72, de Nate >>

Wayne Dillon

If you happen to get sight of a copy of the late great Gilbert Davey's book "Fun With Shortwave Radio" the one with a picture of the London Science Museum's Ham Radio room - GB2SM, you'll see, built in to the left side, yes I said "built in" you'll see a Creed 7B. In the UK this was the machine much sought after by Ham operators wanting to play RTTY (an/or secure a "Quickie" divorce!!). I my time as a demonstrator of GB2SM it was, sadly, long gone.
God bless all es 72/3 de Wayne - KC0PMH
Here's wishing all a very Merry Christmas along with a peaceful, prosperous new year.