Topics

SIMPLEST AND CHEAPEST KEYER?

Phil Anderson

Hey Youall,

What good keyer models are out there that are reasonable $ value; can be kit or done,
which allows the op to adjust code speed with a pot, perhaps weight too and
sidetone volume and tone.......

Why? I've found one feature of my digital FT450D that I do not like.....likely in many
other digital (that is memory and menu....) rigs rather than the old friendly
analog knobs and pots for such things!

It's hard to adjust code speed while in a QSO since the memory and setting
for cw speed and any other cw parms has to be entered in with a number of
key strokes....ugh!!!!!!! Wishing for the ole days....

Unc Phil. By the way, who has that first RX of mine now? T'was 1953, age 13.
It was a Collins RX1?; can't remember the name of the RX rig right now but its sound was sweet!
It was loaned to me from my Elmer, W0AR, Lee of KCDX and LoudenBoomer amp fame,

Unc Phil, W0XI, Lawrence (which is near Lebo or Columbus, KS :) )

Tim N9PUZ

One of my favorite external or "build it in" keyers is the Pico-Keyer Plus from Hamgadgets. <http://www.hamgadgets.com/PICOKEYER-PLUS> I have always received great service and support from Dale.

Tim N9PUZ

On 12/19/2013 5:42 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
[...]

Rick Bennett

Phil, I agree that these modern rigs (aka from the "big 3") are not CW friendly. The only current, full featured rig I have seen that does it right is the Elecraft K3.

My favorite keyer is the old Norcal keyer and a similar version was put together by 4SQRP quite a few years ago.

I think the PICOKEYER is probably very similar, possibly an improvement on that design. Another one I have heard good things about is the K1EL keyers, the latest is the K14:

http://k1el.tripod.com/K14.html

de KC0PET, Rick

[...]

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

George H. Gates

The Picokeyer is great. I have built about 20 of them. Like to add one to every QRP kit I build. I have a stand alone one just in case I need it. Has pot to adjust speed. You can change speed while sending. 72 Geo/W2BPI

In a message dated 12/19/2013 18:42:52 Eastern Standard Time, aldenmcduffie@... writes:

[...]

Tom Sevart

On 12/19/2013 17:42, Phil Anderson wrote:
Hey Youall,

What good keyer models are out there that are reasonable $ value; can be
kit or done,
which allows the op to adjust code speed with a pot, perhaps weight too and
sidetone volume and tone.......
I personally like the PK-4 keyer chip from Jackson Harbor Press. It's the keyer chip which has the exact same pinout as the old Norcal keyer chip.

http://wb9kzy.com/pk4ssr.htm

I have just bought the chips in the past and used parts from my junk box to make a complete keyer board, and since the chip is just an 8 pin IC you can build it on a board small enough to fit into just about any QRP radio. It has the speed setting using the paddles and memory button, but you can also hook up a pot to have instant speed control.

If you don't want to roll your own, complete kits are available.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Chuck Carpenter

I agree with Tom on the Jackson Harbor Keyer chips and kits.

I've used most of them starting with the PK-3 and now use the PK-4 in two keyers, home station and protable versions.

The NorCal chip is a nice basic Keyer

http://wb9kzy.com/norcal.htm

There was also the OzarkCon version of the NorCal with a feature variation but I don't see it listed now.

Both have pot speed control.

Wayne Dillon

Hi Unc,
Well I gotta vote for the ones I've used so...
the 4sqrp ez keyer, like it a lot, then (equal first) is K1EL's K12 and it's most recent incarnation the K14 (I have both of them). K1EL's keyers have all the facilities you could need, but, if you don't need 'em just operate it at a basic keyer, it does just fine.
There ya go, my $0.02 worth.
God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Phil Anderson <aldenmcduffie@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

Phil Anderson

Thanks Tim, Rick, Tom, Chuck, and Wayne....

I'll look up each on the web and choose one. They all sound good. All I want is
to be able to adjust CW speed with a knob and run my Bengalli (got at Dayton
last year) into it.

72 and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Unc Phil, W0XI  (Lawrence; which is near Lebo, Columbus and St Paul, KS)

WA0ITP

Gotta put in a vote for the EZKeyer myself. It vy easy to use with lots of easy
to use features, and changind speede is as easy asy with a pot I think. Hold
the programming key and tap the dot or dash paddles for up or down in 2 wpm
incrrements, easy peasy. It also is very easy to "paddlize" (izzat a word?).
Sending with it is very very smooth. http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2.php

There are indeed many good keyers out there, and ours is one of the best imo. I
also have a CMOS II that sits on the shelf.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

| On 12/19/2013 17:42, Phil Anderson wrote:
| > Hey Youall,
| >
| > What good keyer models are out there that are reasonable $ value; can be
| > kit or done,
| > which allows the op to adjust code speed with a pot, perhaps weight too and
| > sidetone volume and tone.......
|
| I personally like the PK-4 keyer chip from Jackson Harbor Press. It's
| the keyer chip which has the exact same pinout as the old Norcal keyer
| chip.
|
| http://wb9kzy.com/pk4ssr.htm
|
| I have just bought the chips in the past and used parts from my junk box
| to make a complete keyer board, and since the chip is just an 8 pin IC
| you can build it on a board small enough to fit into just about any QRP
| radio. It has the speed setting using the paddles and memory button,
| but you can also hook up a pot to have instant speed control.
|
| If you don't want to roll your own, complete kits are available.
|
| --
| Tom Sevart N2UHC
| St. Paul, KS
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
| View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

Phil Anderson

Thanks Terry,

That method of upping or downing the speed in 2 wpm steps
sounds easy and quick. Think I'll go for that one if it is still
in stock. Will check that out today.

unc Phil

WA0ITP wrote:

Gotta put in a vote for the EZKeyer myself. It vy easy to use with
lots of easy
to use features, and changind speede is as easy asy with a pot I
think. Hold
the programming key and tap the dot or dash paddles for up or down in
2 wpm
incrrements, easy peasy. It also is very easy to "paddlize" (izzat a
word?).
Sending with it is very very smooth. http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2.php

There are indeed many good keyers out there, and ours is one of the
best imo. I
also have a CMOS II that sits on the shelf.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

| On 12/19/2013 17:42, Phil Anderson wrote:
| > Hey Youall,
| >
| > What good keyer models are out there that are reasonable $ value;
can be
| > kit or done,
| > which allows the op to adjust code speed with a pot, perhaps
weight too and
| > sidetone volume and tone.......
|
| I personally like the PK-4 keyer chip from Jackson Harbor Press. It's
| the keyer chip which has the exact same pinout as the old Norcal keyer
| chip.
|
| http://wb9kzy.com/pk4ssr.htm
|
| I have just bought the chips in the past and used parts from my junk box
| to make a complete key er board, and since the chip is just an 8 pin IC
| you can build it on a board small enough to fit into just about any QRP
| radio. It has the speed setting using the paddles and memory button,
| but you can also hook up a pot to have instant speed control.
|
| If you don't want to roll your own, complete kits are available.
|
| --
| Tom Sevart N2UHC
| St. Paul, KS
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
| View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Phil
It's in stock, and it might make it for Christmas!!
72
Johnny

"More smiles per Watt!"
Sent from my iPad

WA0ITP wrote:

Gotta put in a vote for the EZKeyer myself. It vy easy to use with
lots of easy
to use features, and changind speede is as easy asy with a pot I
think. Hold
the programming key and tap the dot or dash paddles for up or down in
2 wpm
incrrements, easy peasy. It also is very easy to "paddlize" (izzat a
word?).
Sending with it is very very smooth. http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2.php

There are indeed many good keyers out there, and ours is one of the
best imo. I
also have a CMOS II that sits on the shelf.
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

| On 12/19/2013 17:42, Phil Anderson wrote:
| > Hey Youall,
| >
| > What good keyer models are out there that are reasonable $ value;
can be
| > kit or done,
| > which allows the op to adjust code speed with a pot, perhaps
weight too and
| > sidetone volume and tone.......
|
| I personally like the PK-4 keyer chip from Jackson Harbor Press. It's
| the keyer chip which has the exact same pinout as the old Norcal keyer
| chip.
|
| http://wb9kzy.com/pk4ssr.htm
|
| I have just bought the chips in the past and used parts from my junk box
| to make a complete key er board, and since the chip is just an 8 pin IC
| you can build it on a board small enough to fit into just about any QRP
| radio. It has the speed setting using the paddles and memory button,
| but you can also hook up a pot to have instant speed control.
|
| If you don't want to roll your own, complete kits are available.
|
| --
| Tom Sevart N2UHC
| St. Paul, KS
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
| View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

Rick Bennett

Or you could buy one of each :-)

Rick

Thanks Tim, Rick, Tom, Chuck, and Wayne....

I'll look up each on the web and choose one. They all sound good. All I want is
to be able to adjust CW speed with a knob and run my Bengalli (got at Dayton
last year) into it.

72 and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Unc Phil, W0XI  (Lawrence; which is near Lebo, Columbus and St Paul, KS)

Johnny AC0BQ

Yeah Rick,
Best answer yet, keep that pay pal card warmed up!!!
Happy Holidays!
Johnny AC0BQ

"More smiles per Watt!"
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Rick Bennett <kc0pet@...> wrote:

Or you could buy one of each :-)

Rick

Thanks Tim, Rick, Tom, Chuck, and Wayne....

I'll look up each on the web and choose one. They all sound good. All I want is
to be able to adjust CW speed with a knob and run my Bengalli (got at Dayton
last year) into it.

72 and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Unc Phil, W0XI  (Lawrence; which is near Lebo, Columbus and St Paul, KS)

hiram maxim

Hello
I must be doing something wrong.  I just built my EZ Keyer and I can't seem to get the quick speed to work.
If I hold down button 1 for more than 2 seconds it goes into program mode.  If I hold it down for less than 2 seconds it sends the message in memory 1.  If I keep holding it down and tap the key I get no response at all.  So what is the secret?
Jim K2TL.

WA0ITP

GE Jim,

Think of it as a press and slight hold, less than one second, on the programming button, and a quick slap on the paddle while holding.  Once you get the timing, it's vy easy and convenient.

Is yours the EZKeyer II ?
--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.