Digikey Schematic Drawing Program

WA0ITP

This is being discussed on EMRFD and it seems amazing to me. Draw your
schematic and the program fills in the part numbers and creates a Digikey
project and order at the same time. Check it out.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/scheme-it.html

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

John Lonigro

Terry:

go to Expresspcb.com and you can download similar free software.  They have express_sch and express_pcb.  Both are very similar to each other in operation, except one makes schematics and the other makes PCB patterns.  While it doesn't give you digi-key part numbers, it does print out a bill of materials.  Also, once you design it, you can order the PCB from them (not free).  Another feature is you can link a schematic to your PCB design.  While designing the PCB, when you click a pin on a part, it highlights all the other parts/pins that pin is supposed to connect to.

One advantage of the DIgikey software is, being web-based, it works with Linux as well as Windows.  The Express software only works on Windows.

We're expecting a houseful of company tomorrow, so all my hobby stuff is temporarily put away.  It will come out again on Thursday.

Happy holidays, everyone!

John AA0VE

On 12/24/2013 09:52 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

This is being discussed on EMRFD and it seems amazing to me. Draw your
schematic and the program fills in the part numbers and creates a Digikey
project and order at the same time. Check it out.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/scheme-it.html

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

Chuck Carpenter

And if you design the board with ExpressPCB software, you can then use the files with Futurlec and get even a single board made for less money.

I try to label the PCBs with enough text info etched on the top layer so you can skip the silk screen and solder mask and still know where everythng goes.

Futurlec's PCB operation will let you use pretty much any software design program you might be using.

Just learned about Futurlec this morning... 8-)

http://www.futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Wayne Dillon

Thanks for the heads-up Chuck, I did a quick calculation and it is WAAAAY cheaper than ExpressPCB for production.
I guess I can use some of my "downtime" to get some board designs finished.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Chuck Carpenter <w5usj@...> wrote:

And if you design the board with ExpressPCB software, you can then
use the files with Futurlec and get even a single board made for less money.

I try to label the PCBs with enough text info etched on the top layer
so you can skip the silk screen and solder mask and still know where
everythng goes.

Futurlec's PCB operation will let you use pretty much any software
design program you might be using.

Just learned about Futurlec this morning... 8-)

http://www.futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Hi John and Terry,
    Several companies making PCBs will accept the files from ExpressPCB (Futurlec.com, Far Circuits, etc.).  Also, you can convert the ExpressPCB files to Gerber files using a program called Copper Connection.  Almost all board houses will accept Gerber files.
Jerry W5JH

[...]

Phil Anderson

Hi all,

I'll check out Express PCB and compare/contrast it with 4PCB.com
and their free software PCB Artist..........4PCB of Colorado as a quick
turn no frills for prototypes......wherein they etch to board and send
it back = just over the weekend = so you can check out your design.....
with this quicky, you don't get the printing on the PCB.....but
is cheap and quick for a check of a layout.

Later, Uncle Phil..........Happy Holidays you-all....72!

Jerry Haigwood wrote:

[...]

&nb sp;   your
    schematic and the program fills in the part numbers and creates a
    Digikey
    project and order at the same time. Check it out.

    http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/scheme-it.html

    ----------------------------------
    I love this radio stuff !
    72 WA0ITP

Rick Bennett

I know this is an old thread, but Chuck thanks for this information.  Futurlec's pricing is very good.

We had a couple projects at work some time ago where I used ExpressPCB to make some boards.  I was very happy with the boards, but they are kind of pricey (easy to get over $100 on a small order).

Another option that uses ExpressPCB files is Far Circuits:

I believe he may have about the best pricing for boards.

de KC0PET, Rick

And if you design the board with ExpressPCB software, you can then
use the files with Futurlec and get even a single board made for less money.

I try to label the PCBs with enough text info etched on the top layer
so you can skip the silk screen and solder mask and still know where
everythng goes.

Futurlec's PCB operation will let you use pretty much any software
design program you might be using.

Just learned about Futurlec this morning... 8-)

http://www.futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Chuck Carpenter

Rick,

I used Far a few years ago.  At that time he did the process photographically (still does except for ExpressPCB) .  I would submitt my negative artwork for the PCBs.  The board quality was good and prices were good too.

The one problem I see with Far and double sided boards is no plated through holes.  Not a problem unless the PCB design has many pads and vias that need to be plated through.  Otherwise you'd have to make sure connections were soldered top and bottom for pads and add wire inserts for the vias.  Surface mount PCBs should be OK if there are only a few wire connections on single side board.

http://www.farcircuits.net/