Topics

Warbler on the way

Paul Smith

I bought a warbler 80 from a nice ham and want to get on the 4SQRP net... Will a USB to serial adapt work? My little laptop does not have a serial port or do I need to find an older laptop with a port?
Any ideas

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

Jeremy Utley

Hey Paul!

Speaking from a computer guy, a USB-Serial adapter should work, assuming you get the right kind.  Best one would be one that uses the FTDI chip rather than the Prolific Chip.  Something along the lines of this one should work great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039

The FTDI-based USB to Serial converters have shown, in my experience, to be the best.  A lot of the Prolific ones are actually Chinese knock-offs that the Windows drivers often have problems with.

Jeremy, NQ0M

On 1/1/2014 10:00 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

I bought a warbler 80 from a nice ham and want to get on the 4SQRP net... Will a USB to serial adapt work? My little laptop does not have a serial port or do I need to find an older laptop with a port?
Any ideas

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

cbayona <CBayona@...>

Another one that works exceedingly well is made by IO Gear, it cost about $20, at work with multitudes of serial devices they always worked which can't be said for the chap units.

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039

--
Cecil - k5nwa

Wayne Dillon

Hi Paul,
No reason why not, mine does. Get one with the FTDI (if I remember the nomenclature correctly) chip, NOT the Prolific Chip.
Enjoy.
Happy new year to all
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Paul Smith <psmith61@...> wrote:

I bought a warbler 80 from a nice ham and want to get on the 4SQRP net... Will a USB to serial adapt work? My little laptop does not have a serial port or do I need to find an older laptop with a port?
Any ideas

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

Jim Sheldon

Definitely what Wayne said.  Make sure you DO NOT get one with the Prolific chip set, especially one made in China.  The Chinese illegally copied Prolific's chips and driver software.  Prolific changed their software so it would not work with the Chinese copies.

The FTDI chipset for the USB to RS-232 converters works perfectly.  Be sure to load the drivers on the computer though prior to plugging the USB cable in for the first time or the drivers will have to be "uninstalled" and reinstalled before it will work.  (Don't ask me how I know this -- when in doubt, read the book first!).

Jim - W0EB

> Hi Paul,
> No reason why not, mine does. Get one with the FTDI (if I remember
> the nomenclature correctly) chip, NOT the Prolific Chip.
>
> Enjoy.
> Happy new year to all
>
> Wayne - KC0PMH
>

> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Paul Smith
> wrote:
>>

>> I bought a warbler 80 from a nice ham and want to get on the
>> 4SQRP net... Will a USB to serial adapt work? My little laptop
>> does not have a serial port or do I need to find an older laptop
>> with a port?
> Any ideas
>
> de Paul N0NBD
>
> Sent from my iPad

Rick Bennett

A thought I have is if you want to go for the "built in" look is to get a small converter board and install it in the rig itself.  Here are a couple options that indicate they are FTDI:

I don't know anything about these particular products, more research might be required (or at these prices just buy-it-and-try-it).

It would be nice to just plug a standard USB cable right into the radio.

de KC0PET, Rick