January SSS Results

John Lonigro

Well, in my opinion, the January Second Sunday Sprint was a success. There were 10 entries, compared to 3 in November and only 2 in December. Marshall W0OTM and Terry WA0ITP led the pack with 8 QSOs each. Impressive to me was the span of states that participated - three from out West (AZ, CA, and OR) and one from the East (NJ), along with the usual Midwest suspects. Here are the results:

Call Name QTH 4SQRP # QSOs
W0OTM Marshall Ottumwa, IA 310 8
WA0ITP Terry Ottumwa, IA 38 8
K7QO Chuck Peoria, AZ 631 6
KV6Z Bill Claremore, OK 520 6
W2SH Charles Millington, NJ 85 6
KF7WNS Gary Bandon, OR 687 5
KB5FCF Joel Edmond, OK 90 4
AC0BQ Johnny Lebo, KS 162 3
AA5CO Bruce Tulsa, OK 664 2
WB6HVH John Visalia, CA 149 1

The cumulative leader for the year (since November) is Terry WA0ITP with 11 QSOs, closely followed by Marshall W0OTM with 8 (must be the Iowa soil-hi). After the April SSS (about the halfway point), I'll post everyone's cumulative score.

If you find any mistakes, please let me know.

Soapbox:

Gary – KF7WNS:
John, lots of fun! My first time out on the SSS. Total= 5 QSO's. Several came back to me, but I'm plagued by a noise that comes and goes at inopertune times. See everyone next month.

Bill – KV6Z:
The QRN was bad, but the SSB QRM was brutal. I had to ask for fills on several occasions.
A real heartbreaker was the broken QSO with Gary (KF7WNS). It took several attempts to get his call (this guy has real patience!) but I never quite got his 4S number.
I listened as hard as I could and used earphones, but no cigar. And he would have been #48 for my W25 award. Bummer. <insert image of unhappy radio operator here>. On a lighter note, I haven't had this much fun since the last SSS and I'd like to thank the organizers of this event for all the work they do. C U next time.

Bruce - AA5CO:
ol' #52 Cyclone 40 5 watts
40 meter inv vee center at 33 feet.

Chuck – K7QO:
Was just testing the new rig. I did not know that I was
in a contest until this morning when I saw the notice
on the reflector to send in a log. :-)
Thanks and I will be in all of them from now on,
A lot of fun.

Charles, W2SH
Signals long on 40m and strong on 80m. Activity seemed light.

John - WB6HVH:
Bummer.

Until February, 72,

John AA0VE
SSS Coordinator

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm all:
It either the IA soil, or the WHAR ??
Not sure which!
Good jon guys.
72
JohnnyAC0BQ

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014, John R. Lonigro wrote:

[...]

would have been #48 for my W25 award. Bummer. radio operator here>. On a lighter note, I haven't had this much fun

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"

Wayne Dillon

I think it's that IA air - very conducive to RF Propagation, just like the NC and NJ air...
Gd Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

WA0ITP

GM All,

Nice turnout for the Sprint this month, great fun. I'm glad to see the
participation growing, its a fun little Sprint, vy easy to participate in, and a
good way to contact other members for fun and awards. I see Chuck Adams K7QO
participated this month, great to have you in the hunt. I believe that he
mentioned on his reflector that he was using a Pig Rig. Way to go Chuck!

Hope to see all again next month.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

| Well, in my opinion, the January Second Sunday Sprint was a success.
| There were 10 entries, compared to 3 in November and only 2 in December.
| Marshall W0OTM and Terry WA0ITP led the pack with 8 QSOs each.
| Impressive to me was the span of states that participated - three from
| out West (AZ, CA, and OR) and one from the East (NJ), along with the
| usual Midwest suspects. Here are the results:
|
| Call Name QTH 4SQRP # QSOs
| W0OTM Marshall Ottumwa, IA 310 8
| WA0ITP Terry Ottumwa, IA 38 8
| K7QO Chuck Peoria, AZ 631 6
| KV6Z Bill Claremore, OK 520 6
| W2SH Charles Millington, NJ 85 6
| KF7WNS Gary Bandon, OR 687 5
| KB5FCF Joel Edmond, OK 90 4
| AC0BQ Johnny Lebo, KS 162 3
| AA5CO Bruce Tulsa, OK 664 2
| WB6HVH John Visalia, CA 149 1
|
| The cumulative leader for the year (since November) is Terry WA0ITP with
| 11 QSOs, closely followed by Marshall W0OTM with 8 (must be the Iowa
| soil-hi). After the April SSS (about the halfway point), I'll post
| everyone's cumulative score.
|
| If you find any mistakes, please let me know.
|
| Soapbox:
|
| Gary – KF7WNS:
| John, lots of fun! My first time out on the SSS. Total= 5 QSO's. Several
| came back to me, but I'm plagued by a noise that comes and goes at
| inopertune times. See everyone next month.
|
| Bill – KV6Z:
| The QRN was bad, but the SSB QRM was brutal. I had to ask for fills on
| several occasions.
| A real heartbreaker was the broken QSO with Gary (KF7WNS). It took
| several attempts to get his call (this guy has real patience!) but I
| never quite got his 4S number.
| I listened as hard as I could and used earphones, but no cigar. And he
| would have been #48 for my W25 award. Bummer. <insert image of unhappy
| radio operator here>. On a lighter note, I haven't had this much fun
| since the last SSS and I'd like to thank the organizers of this event
| for all the work they do. C U next time.
|
| Bruce - AA5CO:
| ol' #52 Cyclone 40 5 watts
| 40 meter inv vee center at 33 feet.
|
| Chuck – K7QO:
| Was just testing the new rig. I did not know that I was
| in a contest until this morning when I saw the notice
| on the reflector to send in a log. :-)
| Thanks and I will be in all of them from now on,
| A lot of fun.
|
| Charles, W2SH
| Signals long on 40m and strong on 80m. Activity seemed light.
|
| John - WB6HVH:
| Bummer.
|

| Until February, 72,
|
| John AA0VE
| SSS Coordinator
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
| View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

WA0ITP

Thank you John for taking over the SSS pulling the results together, we
appreciate your effort so that we can have fun on the air. I'll be sure to send
soapbox comments next time. They're always fun to read. 80M was the most
productive band here, 40 was long and quiet around the watering hole.

Thanx again.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

On 01/15/2014 07:44 AM, WA0ITP wrote:

GM All,

Nice turnout for the Sprint this month, great fun. I'm glad to see the
participation growing, its a fun little Sprint, vy easy to participate in, and a
good way to contact other members for fun and awards. I see Chuck Adams K7QO
participated this month, great to have you in the hunt. I believe that he
mentioned on his reflector that he was using a Pig Rig. Way to go Chuck!

Hope to see all again next month.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

------

Yikes.  It was an accident, really.

I had finished the Flying Pig Rig for 7.122MHz, Serial #334,
and put it into its own little play pen and was testing it out.
Being in a restricted area for antennas I put up a rotatable
dipole at 6m  and had gotten the SWR to 1.1:1 and was
excited to hear some good signals.  I push up the antenna
as soon as it is dark enough for people not to notice it
behind the large palm trees.  :-)

I heard guys calling CQ 4S, so I dug out my number and
started working them.

I did not know until the next morning that I was in a
contest.  :-)

Thanks to the hard work of W2SH and others I did manage
some new states from this QTH.

I will be back for the next one.  Nice fun contest.

chuck, k7qo

kb4qqj

I'm just getting back in town and have a couple of contacts to enter..late for scoring but perfect for funning.....

Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 1/15/2014 9:44:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, wa0itp@... writes:

> [...]

| for all the work they do. C U next time.
|
| Bruce - AA5CO:
| ol' #52 Cyclone 40 5 watts
| 40 meter inv vee center at 33 feet.
|
| Chuck – K7QO:
| Was just testing the new rig. I did not know that I was
| in a contest until this morning when I saw the notice
| on the reflector to send in a log. :-)
| Thanks and I will be in all of them from now on,
| A lot of fun.
|
| Charles, W2SH
| Signals long on 40m and strong on 80m. Activity seemed light.
|
| John - WB6HVH:
| Bummer.
|

| Until February, 72,
|
| John AA0VE
| SSS Coordinator
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO

Randy:

If you have a legitimate excuse for late submittal, I don't think anyone would mind if you sent me your results late.  I've got to make a couple of corrections anyway.  My main reason for setting a submittal "deadline" was to know when I could safely summarize the results and be done with them until next month.  Send them my way today and I'll include them in my final summary tomorrow.  But once the final summary is sent out, that's it until February.

72,

John AA0VE

On 01/15/2014 07:12 PM, KB4QQJ@... wrote:

> [...]

| for all the work they do. C U next time.
|
| Bruce - AA5CO:
| ol' #52 Cyclone 40 5 watts
| 40 meter inv vee center at 33 feet.
|
| Chuck – K7QO:
| Was just testing the new rig. I did not know that I was
| in a contest until this morning when I saw the notice
| on the reflector to send in a log. :-)
| Thanks and I will be in all of them from now on,
| A lot of fun.
|
| Charles, W2SH
| Signals long on 40m and strong on 80m. Activity seemed light.
|
| John - WB6HVH:
| Bummer.
|

| Until February, 72,
|
| John AA0VE
| SSS Coordinator
|

| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO

Contacts = 5
Non-Members = 1
4s Members = 3
Mode = CW

13-Jan-2014 0247|K3Y/1|3564|80 m|CW|Andy|50w|
13-Jan-2014 0241|W2SH|7122|40 m|CW|Charles|NJ|4s# 85
13-Jan-2014 0257|W2SH|7121|40 m|CW|Charles|NJ|4s# 85
13-Jan-2014 0240|AA5CO|7122|40 m|CW|Bruce|OK|4s# 664
13-Jan-2014 0239|KV6Z|7122|40 m|CW|William|OK|4s# 520

Thanks for the late entry. I left town the next morning and got back
yesterday, so no problem not entering it. I just wanted the guys I did
work to get credit.

73 for now,
Randy_KB4QQJ

John Lonigro

Randy:

I just sent out the FINAL update.  You said you had a couple of contacts, so I put you down for 2.  Guess it should have been 4 (can't count W2SH twice on the same band).  I'll make the change on my spreadsheet, but will not send out a correction.

72,

John AA0VE