WX & Other thoughts...

Dan Reynolds

Been cold in beautiful central IL. I just looked and we're having a heat wave - 13 F! We still have snow on the ground. Sure has been a weird winter. I don't remember this much snow since I was a kid. We have a lake in Decatur and as a kid I remember people used to drive on it in the winter. Recent years that wouldn't work so well.

Has anyone heard about Farhan's new transceiver design? (Farhan developed the marvelous BITX transceiver)
It uses an Arduino for some general functions, and to drive an Si570. He uses the KISS mixer and drives it straight from the bandpass filters with no RF amp. CW/SSB and all HF. Real unusual tuning control. Instead of a encoder he uses a 100K pot. From the 'center' you tun the pot left to go down in frequency and right to go up in frequency but like a jog/shuttle knob on a VCR the further you turn from center the faster the frequency moves. A little unusual but should work.
As-is the XCVR puts out 1 watt but Farhan also has a nice amp called the JBOT (just a bunch of transistors) that can up it a bit.
All open source like.
After I get my G-59 going I plan to try to build one. Only expensive part is the Si570. I see Si no longer allows you samples! :-)

73
Dan - KB9JLO
<><

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

On 1/22/2014 9:05 AM, on30ng@... wrote:

[...]

Howdy Dan. I've been following all the chatter with the development. Farhan seems to have a good bunch of developers working loyally his way. Very interesting and exciting to see a star born, with the "minima" 73, Shawnr kf7yff

bobby rolph

Yeah. I saw it on the Soldersmoke blog. Keep us posted on the build Dan. I would really enjoy to follow your progress. Post some pics once you get started on it!
Bobby Rolph
kb4qnr

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Dan
Well our hard cold is arriving tonite!
Supposed to be 1 deg by morning with hard north winds, but no frozen stuff!
New news to me on the new XCVR, sounds neat! Can you imagine the first chatter about the KD1JV rigs, "wow 5 watts in an Altoids Tin"
72
Take care
Johnny AC0BQ

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"

Dale Putnam

I've 20F and 2 mi in light snow... no wind tho..
But it is upslope...
Stay warm!

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...; on30ng@...
From: jomatlock@...
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:05:17 -0600
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] WX & Other thoughts...

[...]

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Hi Dan,
    I have looked at Farhan's Minima transceiver.  As is, I doubt if the transceiver will put out more than a few microwatts.  If you look at the design, the transmitter has only 1/2 of a bidirectional amp using a 2N2222 as an output before going through the crystal filter.  Crystal filters cannot handle more than about -10 dbm before being overdriven and subject to failure.  I asked Farhan about the amount of drive going through the crystal filter and he stated it was about 200mV in and about 50 mV out.  He didn't state if that was RMS, Peak or Peak-to-Peak.  If we give him the benefit of the doubt and call it RMS, then coming out of the crystal filter is 50 microwatts (assumes a 50 ohm load).  After the crystal filter, the only active device is the mixer.  Something is amiss here.  I suspect Farhan meant to say that he can get 1 watt out of the JBOT amp with the Minima driving it.  To get up to 5 watts, another stage of amplification will be needed.  You will also need a low pass filter after the JBOT amp.
Jerry W5JH