Magic Box Modification.

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Hello,
I am not an engineer, so bare with me:

Currently I am experimenting a lot with Wspr using the Ultimate 3 from Hans Summers.(See activities on my blog.) I only transmit in a time frame of 10 minutes once and have the other 8 minutes free. So I wanted to listen and report to wspr with another receiver, but I have only one antenna.

So I remembered a kit, which is still unsoldered: the magic box. My question: Is there a way that I can connect the tx and the Rx so that the Rx is automatically muted when the wspr tx starts to make it's transmission. The maximum output is 200 mW, but normally I use between 10 -100 mW.
So I am looking for some sort of HF sniffer which triggers the magic box to do its work.

Any ideas which can be performed by an amateur?

72 de
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Jim Kortge

On 2/20/2014 6:58 AM, Hajo Dezelski wrote:

Hello,
Greetings Hajo,

I am not an engineer, so bare with me:
No problem.

Currently I am experimenting a lot with Wspr using the Ultimate 3 from
Hans Summers.(See activities on my blog.) I only transmit in a time
frame of 10 minutes once and have the other 8 minutes free.
What causes the transmitter to come on the air? Is the signal that makes that happen available to the outside of the Ultimate 3?

So I
wanted to listen and report to wspr with another receiver, but I have
only one antenna.
The MagicBox could switch the antenna for you, so to speak so that when the Ultimate 3 isn't using the antenna, the receiver can be.

So I remembered a kit, which is still unsoldered: the magic box. My
question: Is there a way that I can connect the tx and the Rx so that
the Rx is automatically muted when the wspr tx starts to make it's
transmission.
Yes, that's exactly what it does, but it needs a signal from the transmitter to tell the MagicBox that the WSPR transmission is going to happen.

The maximum output is 200 mW, but normally I use between
10 -100 mW.
No problem there.

So I am looking for some sort of HF sniffer which triggers the magic
box to do its work.
No, you need the signal from the Ultimate 3 that causes it to transmit and use that signal to key the MagicBox and cause it to go from receive mode to transmit mode. The MagicBox keys using a voltage being grounded, like closing a key.

Any ideas which can be performed by an amateur?
See above.

72 de
Hajo
72 and have fun,

Jim, K8IQY

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Hello Jim and Terry,

Thanks for your quick and competent replay. So I will go this way and have a reason to get some solder smoking and putting the magic box together. I have understood the mechanism and will look at the schematics of the Ultimate 3. There is one line coming from the Atmel which triggers the pa. Perhaps I can use this signal. Have to ask Hans.

I have troubles getting into my Yahoo groups since several weeks. Even if I want to reset my password, they will not accept a password of any kind. So could you please send the schematic via email? Thanks for your kindness

And all the Best

Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Hello again,

I have found a line / signal, but I will need a transistor to invert the positive out and provide my ground.

Thanks again
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Hajo Dezelski <dl1sdz@...>

Sometimes you only need a kick in ... the right direction.

73 de
Hajo

---
... indessen wandelt harmlos droben das Gestirn
... http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.com/

Am 20.02.2014 20:07 schrieb "WA0ITP" <wa0itp@...>:

FB Hajo.

Sounds like you have it figured out.   Let us know how it works out  for you.

All the Magic Box info is here  http://www.4sqrp.com/MagicBox.php

I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP