Ice on Ants

WA0ITP

Dale,

Have you antennas survived the ice storm?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

Dale Putnam

Thanks Terry,
  I don't know.. yet.. it is still here...
I got up three - four times last night to check.. no problems...
that continues this morning up with 3F now 2F and the wind is supposed to kick up
again.. it did late yesterday.. but only for a little while.. they survived that..
I can sure spot the weakness now.. tho..
They are all sagging.. and swaying a little.. instead of 60ft up.. the wire in the middle is down to 15-20...
that's the notable difference with steel fence wire.. it does stretch.. a lot.. that's on the BowTie.. and it
doesn't care.. so for now.. the short answer... yep! so far.

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: wa0itp@...
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 08:29:49 -0600
Subject: [4sqrp] Ice on Ants

Dale,

Have you antennas survived the ice storm?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

glene77is@...

Guys,
You have more serious problems with your tall beams
than I do with a low LongWire.

However, I have little Adventures:
I have had  ICE ,  hanging about 2 inches long ,   all along my 225 ft LongWire.
Ice makes it sag more, and I use a AntTuner so I make minor adjustments.
Worst thing was the Lightning EMP that was captured and burned out my Antenna Tuner circuit.
Had to drag out my QRP tuner.

My wife said she saw birds roosting on the Wire, but I don't know.
Never affected tuning.

Glen Ellis, KK4LPG.

dekle@...

If birds are on your wire, be sure to measure the beak-to-beak-voltage.

Bill
KV6Z

Chuck Carpenter

Lots of ice on the ants here in NETX.

With 1 inch of sleet, snow and a little ice, I don't think the little buggers can get out of the ground... :-)

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Dale Putnam

Well, the worst is over.. it's better now.. it'll be a sunshiny day..

Sun isn't up  yet, but 32F and light breeze,.. slight overcast for  warmth.. and we're good.
Ice is still covering half the ants... but.. at least they didn't come down..
IF I had put them all up tuned for the phone portion.... they'd be in great shape in the cw section...
Now... however.. one is looking real good for the high end of 30.. rather than the low end of 20.
The BowTie..  it doesn't care.. it simply plays...

Best wishes to those with ice... word from the coast is the wind is coming.. in about three days to here...
maybe.  maybe it will mostly blow north of me. One can always hope.

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

KD4OBQ

Long as it stays under 1200 pounds I will be OK. Guys are 350 pound braided line each, times 4 and wire is #10 and 4 30' telephone poles.

Come on ICE

72
Pat KD4OBQ

AR
How to Stay Asleep All Night
Try this one weird trick to put your sleep troubles to rest.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5316723ef37c7723e05d7st01vuc

Rick Bennett

May all of your birds be warblers singing in perfect phase...

Rick