A new key and as happy as a fat hog in the sun

Aaron Bailey

Greetings fellow QRPers,    My name is George Bailey WA5HRC and I'm on the same wavelength with you as I operate QRP with a HW-8 that I built in 1980 and, just to make you drool, I also have an unbuilt  HW-8 still in the sealed factory box that I hold as a spare.  I'm new to the newsgroup and mainly I enjoy reading and learning from the different postings.    But now I have a burning question that cannot be found with a google and I need to pick at the collective brain of the group.   At a hamfest recently, it was my good fortune to find and purchase a mint condition WWII Navy Flameproof Key # CMI-26003A.  It is such a nice key to send with that I've shelved my trusty ole J-38.   Between the adjustment screws is what looks to be a 6/32 screw and when removed it is only about 3/16 of a inch long.  When I shine a light down into the screw hole I see only a void area.  As to the function of this screw, I would guess it is acting as a cap for the void and further that some compound, lube and/or contact cleaner,  is supposed to be sprayed into the key through the screw hole.  Can anyone expand on this?
72/73
George

marjannorm

Hi there, and welcome to the group.  Yep, I had one of those years ago.  The screw plays a vital role in blocking up an otherwise unused hole.
just my 2 cents worth.....
kinjd regards
Norm VK5GI
(note the Ozzie humour there......)

WA0ITP

GM George,

Don't think I'd spray stuff inside the Flameproof. But you do have one of the
very best straight keys out there. If it's acting normal, dont mess with it,
especially don't take it apart. There have been mournful posts describing the
number of parts and the difficulty of reasembly.

Enjoy the key, its a dandy.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

[...]

kb4qqj

That is to gain access to a pin or screw, ( I forget which) that cinches the bottom contact assembly to the fulcrum arm. I've sent you a photo via direct email George.

Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 3/13/2014 4:44:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, laika1st@... writes:

[...]

Michael McShan

Welcome George. Your sealed, unbuilt HW-8 should help secure a comfortable retirement. ;-)

72, Mike W5RST
Oklahoma City

On Mar 13, 2014, at 3:44 AM, Aaron Bailey <laika1st@...> wrote:

[...]

__

glene77is@...

George Bailey WA5HRC
Congrats on the fine Retro Rig, the HW-8.
The parts are big enough to touch with your fingers and see with your eyes.

The HW8 invites tinkering and add-on HB projects.
First I added a Air-Column-Tuned Audio filter.
Then designed a Noise Limiter and a Butterworth Filter.
Now that I can work S1 signals,
I need about 3 more Watts to make a full QRP,
and poke through the noise better.

When I want to see what it was like in 1958  (my first station)
then I unplug my devices and run the HW8 barefoot with just my 1940 Bug.

You will find that the HW8 makes you feel like your are 21 again,
for a while.

If I hear a CQ by WA5HRC will certainly answer back.

Glen Ellis, KK4LPG

email4utoo@...

Welcome George , yah know i used to have one of those Navy keys back in the 60s, i remember friends ,(so called anyways), making fun of my old funny looking key. I loved using it and was shocked to see what they cost on ebay now ,as i looked for the key i enjoyed using as a teenager . Enjoy it and use it well, i am sure you will find your answer in a forum on antique or vintage gear. 73s  , AJ  KF5ZYB