Open letter to Members - Important Pse Read

WA0ITP

To all members:

Some exciting things are happening here at Four State QRP Group. Up until
the last few years, the club was small enough that individuals could take
personal risk in buying parts and supplies to produce the kits that fund
OzarkCon each year. However the number of kits and sales increased
to the point that there was a serious financial burden on a few people who were
using their own credit cards and bank accounts for purchasing.

To eliminate the burden and potential liability to those individuals we had no
choice but to create a non-profit and put in place the structure required to
maintain it. We aren't unique in that respect. Sooner or later every
successful club that sells kits or other fundraising items, and began with
"no rules - no officers - no dues", will reach the point where they need to
make a decision to incorporate, or otherwise restructure their activities.

Ron Potter, AG1P, guided our effort and we are now incorporated as a non-profit
in the state of Missouri. This had to be done as the tax and legal
implications on individuals were too severe to be ignored. Incorporation
required officers and a board, a list of which is included below.

Income from kit sales has been sufficient to fund Ozarkcon
and we continue to work with volunteer designers to come up with new ideas,
several of which are now in development. Our goal to not become a big
profit making organization; in fact it's the opposite. We intend to only
have enough money in the bank to fund 2 or 3 OzarkCons, and to sell enough
kits to continue at that level, thus ensuring a bright future for OzarkCon.
We also see Four State as an educational facilitator, providing a venue for
members to learn electronics principles and skills, with rf-related
subjects being the primary focus.

I hope you understand and support our reasons for taking these actions.
Some members have already stepped up to help us through our infancy as a
non-profit. Other volunteers will be needed in the future. If you have a
passion for QRP and would like to help, please contact me, Ron, or any
board member. Together we can continue to provide a quality experience
at OzarkCon every year in early April.

Current Officers and Board members:

Officiers:
President: Terry Fletcher, WA�ITP
Vice President: Jim Kortge K8IQY
Sec'y/Treasurer: Ron Potter AG1P, Tom Brown W0MFQ backup

Board:
Johnny Matlock, AC0BQ
Walter Dufrain K5EST
Rich Fowler K8MEG
Herb Case WR9H
Jim Kortge K8IQY
Dave Cripe NM0S
Paul Smith N0NBD
Ron Potter AG1P
Terry Fletcher WA0ITP

---------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

Larry Clement W2LAC

A very wise move. I think this will insure that our club will be around for a long time.
Larry  W2LAC

[...]

President: Terry Fletcher, WAØITP
Vice President: Jim Kortge K8IQY
Sec'y/Treasurer: Ron Potter AG1P, Tom Brown W0MFQ backup

Board:
Johnny Matlock, AC0BQ
Walter Dufrain K5EST
Rich Fowler K8MEG
Herb Case WR9H
Jim Kortge K8IQY
Dave Cripe NM0S
Paul Smith N0NBD
Ron Potter AG1P
Terry Fletcher WA0ITP

---------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA0ITP

David Wilcox K8WPE

Larry,

Some of us are too far away to help with physical presence but may be willing to "join" for a small fee to help keep the coffers full.  Just the kit offerings are enough to keep my interest and  interest to be a "member" and contribute, not to mention the free "banner" each month.

I pay a small fee each year to be a GQRP member and feel I get more than my money's worth.  I pay a little more for the QRP Journal and feel the same about it.  What say?

If there are others who feel the same way let Larry know.

Dave K8WPE

Sent from my iPad

[...]

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

Hello ardent hobbyists. I am very grateful for 4-stateqrp, as it has been a catapult for my RF interest. You all have offered your sound experience, graciously, backing up your kits 100%. Neat talent in each design. I must say, though, when I come up on a bridge that requires a due paid, to use, I swim across instead. I understand all good intentions. It sounds like a solution was needed, out of consideration towards the volunteers. It's asking alot for anyone to put their bank account up front to cover expenditures , until compensated. I haven't had any experience with clubs, otherwise, except for 4-state as a first. No criticism here. I just don't find it necessary, in my walk towards any horizon, to pay dues out, in monetary form. Just a principal of mine. I thank you for sharing. 73, Shawn Reed KF7YFF.

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Hi Terry,

    So who should I submit my mileage to?  From my house to the hotel is 389 miles.  Multiply by two equals 778 miles driven.  My wife’s new Impala LTZ gets 28 miles per gallon which equals 27.8 gallons of gas at an average cost of $3.30 per gallon which equals $91.74.

We hope you enjoyed our presentation.  We had lots of questions after the presentation and lots of people wanting to build the sweeper.  I enjoyed the conference and really liked all the Saturday talks.  I have one suggestion.  It would be nice if you could find a “radio related” person to speak on Friday night.  Perhaps an FCC Field Engineer, or ARRL Director, or Ed Hare, or Riley Hollingsworth, or the current FCC enforcement person (Laura ???).  I would like it better than listening to the Branson mayor, etc.  ;-)

Jerry

[...]

davemrtn

Ditto that sentiment here.

On 04/12/2014 11:51 AM, David Wilcox wrote:

[...]

David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

davemrtn

OR.... maybe Dolly Parton !!!

On 04/12/2014 01:09 PM, Jerry Haigwood wrote:

[...]

Dave,
Something I've done in the past is...

Buy a kit from 4sqrp (helps to support costs of OzarkCon).

Take the kit to my local club meeting and give to the club to be raffled off.

I've helped two clubs and some lucky person (winner of the raffle) gets to experience a 4SQRP kit, and maybe that person will order other kits or attend OzarkCon.

[...]

Todd K7TFC

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM, David Martin <davemrtn@...> wrote:
Buy a kit from 4sqrp (helps to support costs of OzarkCon). Take the kit to my local club meeting and give to the club to be raffled off.

Hey! That's a good idea!

I sure admire how you folks are so active and cooperate so well together. I sometimes think the club I'm president of more resembles an anesthetized snake pit!

Some of us here in SW Oregon-N.California have thought about putting on an annual conference/hamfest. There's a dozen clubs in the region, so it could be done if there's enough support. I wondering: about how much does it cost to put on OzarkCon?

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-
7
 (P
T)

Rich Fowler <k8meg@...>

Thanks Terry, for all you do!

For those who are not reading what Terry said correctly, there is no intention or need to charge dues. There was a need to incorporate as a non-profit for the reasons Terry gave in his open letter. If you need clarification, drop one of the officers a note.

Distance from the "Four states" shouldn't be an issue. If you would like to help out in some way, send one of the officers an email and suggest how you would like to help. Maybe it's Net Control, kitting the new product, contacting potential speaker for Ozarkcon, whatever....there's a list of potential needs as the group grows.

One of the better ways the help is by buying our kits and promoting by demonstrating them at your local ham club or writing a review in your club newsletter.

Thanks to everyone for supporting 4SQRP!

Rich K8MEG

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

On 4/12/2014 12:48 PM, Rich Fowler wrote:

Thanks Terry, for all you do!

For those who are not reading what Terry said correctly, there is no intention or need to charge dues. There was a need to incorporate as a non-profit for the reasons Terry gave in his open letter. If you need clarification, drop one of the officers a note.

Distance from the "Four states" shouldn't be an issue. If you would like to help out in some way, send one of the officers an email and suggest how you would like to help. Maybe it's Net Control, kitting the new product, contacting potential speaker for Ozarkcon, whatever....there's a list of potential needs as the group grows.

One of the better ways the help is by buying our kits and promoting by demonstrating them at your local ham club or writing a review in your club newsletter.

Thanks to everyone for supporting 4SQRP!

Rich K8MEG
Hi Rich.  My mistake for mis-understanding. ..... "Sooner or later every
successful club that sells kits or other fundraising items, and began with
"no rules - no officers - no dues", will reach the point where they need to
make a decision to incorporate, or otherwise restructure their activities"....( eyes a little quick on the trigger. ;-)
I would be plenty happy, if ever there is something I could do, for a brother or sister in the group. 73, Shawn kf7yff.
The moon's to turn blood. Could that influence any bounce?

Rich Fowler <k8meg@...>

Not a problem Shawn...just wanted to clarify it.

James Vroman AC0BN

I think this is a great move.
When i got back into Amateur Radio QRP facinated me. I am finally getting back to it and look forward to building many if your kits. I would also be willing to help where i can.

WA0ITP <wa0itp@mchsi.com> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links

marjannorm

Hi Larry,
I feel exactly the same way as Dave. Living here in Australia, there is little I can do physically to support the group, but like Dave, I'm a member of G-QRP ( the Aus rep in fact) and I receive the QRP Quarterly. A few dollars membership subscription wouldn't go amiss. Good on you guys for making the bold but necessary step.
Kind regards
Norm VK5GI
Willunga, South Australia

Sent from my iPad

wb8icn@...

Terry,

Congrats to you and the rest of the officers and board. I read one response that suggested we all pay a small fee annually as we do other clubs to help pay for all the overhead and free stuff 4SQRP doles out all the time...I am all for this and have no problem with it!
Keep up the great work and see you at Dayton!

00 & 72...Mikey, WB8ICN

Rick Bennett

Yes, thank you to all of the people that do a lot of work for 4SQRP.  I know there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that keeps all of the kits and Ozarkcon a reality.  I joined 4SQRP when it was still pretty small and it has been neat to watch it grow.

I was really disappointed that I have missed O'Con the last couple years.  I have had an important family event that fell on the same weekend both times.  But hopefully that will not happen next year.

73s,

Rick KC0PET

[...]

Tom - NG3V

I agree with Dave.  1200 miles (each way) is a bit of a jaunt.  I was, however, born and raised in Springfield back when Branson had a 4-way yellow blinker and nothing else.  Got my first license, a novice class (KN0PXL), in 1957 before I moved from Springfield.  So, I am attracted to the 4SQRP group and I would be glad to kick in some of my allowance.  Maybe those of us who did could be Associate Members - or something else fancy.

Just my $ 0.02 worth.

72, Tom - NG3V

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM, David Martin <davemrtn@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeremy Utley

Everyone, please keep in mind that to be a “member” of 4SQRP, you only need to meet one of two criteria:

1 – Subscribe to the mailing list

2 – Attend OzarkCon

So, everyone who receives this is a “member” of the 4SQRP group!  There’s never been dues or anything for the group, and considering the group’s been going for something like 7 or 8 years (maybe even more), I would highly doubt there ever would be a need for it.

Jeremy, NQ0M

In beautiful downtown Iola, KS

[...]

W0IIT

The willingness of members to pay dues is nice and shows that a lot of members think they are getting a lot for their money from the 4State QRP Group and that is true, especially when you consider that there are no dues charged to belong to the “club”! That was the concept from the very beginning—“no rules, no officers, and no dues”!! That is as QRP as it gets. That is the way it should be. Terry’s “Open letter to Members” wasn’t a plea for money it was a letter explaining why the group went through the process of becoming a “non-profit”, not a easy thing to accomplish. The Group became a “non-profit” to protect those volunteers who went out on a limb to purchase components for a “run” of a kit, normally 100 kits! These volunteers were doing that with no guarantee that the kits would sell and guess who was left holding the bag if the kit was a flop:-) That, fortunately never happened due mainly to the fact that a lot of thought and time went into the selection of a new kit to be offered by the group. The amount that some of our kits cost to finance was and is considerable, to say the least! Now as a non-profit organization this isn’t a problem.

The problem, if you could call it that, is that the group as a non-profit has to have officers and a board of directors. You have to have people willing to serve—thus Terry’s open letter to the membership. To serve takes time and effort, blood/sweat/tears. in other words. The list of officers and members of the board that Terry gave have been serving, some of them for many years. Even the most giving of people get tired, wore out, or exhausted —— you get the idea. Whom among us are going to be willing to step up and give those that have been serving a chance to sit back and enjoy the 4State QRP Group, that is the question. Don’t get me wrong some of those that have served or are serving are happy and willing to remain in service, others, I’m sure, would like a break!

I was always amazed, in the early years of our group, how few of our members actually purchased our kits. Happily, that has changed and now a large percentage of kits sold by our group are purchased by our own members. A big reason for this is that many of those that bought our kits, early on, became members because they were happy with our kits. THAT is all that is needed to keep our group finically healthy. Buy a kit, but, you might say --- I’m not a builder. No problem, Dave Martin gave the perfect solution—buy a kit and give it back as a drawing prize at next year’s OzarkCon of give it to your local club to give away as a prize. Spread the word about QRP, our group, or simply the joy of building which was the backbone of early amateur radio!!

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT
Pittsburg, KS
4Sqrp=#72, FP=#11, ARS=#568,
SKCC=1139, NAQCC=#588
FIST=#5819, Zombie=#500, Geratol=#1000

David Wilcox K8WPE

Bart and others,

My thoughts on dues was a noble suggestion to show my support in any way I can. I look forward to future kits and other ways I can support the group from a distance. Keep up the great work guys. We need you, especially since the NorCal group has retired.

Dave K8WPE