Topics

KC5WA QRP DXCC

WA0ITP

I just received word that one of our own, RC Conley, KC5WA, has achieved ARRL's coveted QRP DXCC award.

Per RC, "All the contacts were CW and in the last two years. Rigs used were an Elecraft K2/10 or a K3/10 and a ground mounted Butternut HF9V w/160 coil sitting on 700' of 14 ga wire in 26 radials. The antenna is in a 50' X 50' back yard. Proof that you need not be a BIG GUN"

Congratulation RC!

-- 72 WA�ITP I love this radio stuff. www.wa0itp.com www.4sqrp.com

Dale Putnam

Way to go RC!!! That is outstanding.. awesome.
something to cherish for sure!!
Congratulations!!

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:44:20 -0500
Subject: [4sqrp] KC5WA QRP DXCC

I just received word that one of our own, RC Conley, KC5WA, has achieved
ARRL's coveted QRP DXCC award.

Per RC, "All the contacts were CW and in the last two years. Rigs used
were an Elecraft K2/10 or a K3/10 and a ground mounted Butternut HF9V
w/160 coil sitting on 700' of 14 ga wire in 26 radials. The antenna is
in a 50' X 50' back yard. Proof that you need not be a BIG GUN"

Congratulation RC!

-- 72 WAØITP I love this radio stuff. www.wa0itp.com www.4sqrp.com

Walter - K5EST

Congratulations RC..... Wow all QRP..... Ya gots grit,  man!

.........Walter . K5EST.........
Editor - Ozark QRP Banner
.............4sqrp.com............

On Jul 6, 2014 8:44 AM, "WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I just received word that one of our own, RC Conley, KC5WA, has achieved
ARRL's coveted QRP DXCC award.

Per RC, "All the contacts were CW and in the last two years. Rigs used
were an Elecraft K2/10 or a K3/10 and a ground mounted Butternut HF9V
w/160 coil sitting on 700' of 14 ga wire in 26 radials. The antenna is
in a 50' X 50' back yard. Proof that you need not be a BIG GUN"

Congratulation RC!

-- 72 WAØITP I love this radio stuff. www.wa0itp.com www.4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Congrats RC
Good going, proves that QRP can work!

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72

Phil Anderson

Congratulations RC on a nice accomplishment....

Uncle Phil, W0XI

email4utoo@...

RC , Fantastic ! Butternut should treat you to FDIM !  What i want to learn is what terrain is your QTH located , so i can compare my little Holler to work on a new antenna or improve my exisiting performance . I am not after any awards , just want to work most of what i hear , hihi. Yes and also improve my CW as well, hihi. Way to go ! 73s, AJ W5heh

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

Thanks to all that responded and those that asked after the antenna system and terrain. You are able too see it on QRZ. COM or at <http;//www.kc5wa.net>. Check the map at QRZ.COM and you see that the QTH location is a very old river bottom of the OUACHITA RIVER. In fact the river's levee is just behind the levee service road. The back yard was scalpped one October then the radials were laid out on top of the grass from the center of the yard to the fence line and staples from DX ENGINEERING were spaced every foot on the length of the radials. Four radials on in each direction NE, SE, SW and NW are 50' in length. The range in length from 12' at the shortest to 50' longest. Then after the radials were laid and the grass grew back from spring growth you could not see the radials anywhere except at the decorated center. The grass had pulled them down. I never had issues with the lawn mower snatching the wires or staples.  There are some technical articles on the Bencher/Butternut web site that I found to be very handy in the installation of the HF9V titled Dirty Little Secrets. They helped.
72/73
 RC
KC5WA

--

Ham Radio!
IT IS MY ADDICTION

Jim Morrison <n9gtm@...>

Tue Jul 8, 2014 5:09 am (PDT) . Posted by:
"Robert 'RC' Conley"

There are some technical articles on the Bencher/Butternut web site
that I found to be very handy in the installation of the HF9V titled
Dirty Little Secrets. They helped.
Thanks for the reminder, Robert. DX Engineering also offers a very
good writeup on installation of the Hustler/New-Tronics 6BTV that has
good info applicable to other verticals as well. 60 pages, about 5.5
MB; the latest version I could find was the K version here:

http://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-btv-inst-ins.pdf

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hsr-6btv/media/instructions/

DXE sells some amazing accessories but I plan to do my 6BTV install
on the cheap. So far the most promising idea for the radial plate
I've seen came from, I think, QRP-ARCI Idea Exchange: kitchen sink
metal strainer.

73, Jim n9gtm