Topics

punches

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

 look here
<http://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=green+lee+chassis+punch>

--
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"
Thomas Jefferson

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 9/11/2014 10:09 AM, 'Robert 'RC' Conley' rc.kc5wa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Gary KF7WNS

Step drill bits worked well for me.  I picked up a 3 bit set from Harbor Freight.  The largest size was just right for octal socket.  I've found many uses for those bits.

Gary/KF7WNS

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 9/11/2014 10:09 AM, 'Robert 'RC' Conley' rc.kc5wa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Charlie Vest

As Don and someone else said earlier, you have to be careful on knock out sizes now that tube specific ones are difficult to locate, and expensive.

If you are not going to use it enough to justify the cost, I don't know where you live, but perhaps some ham where you live has one you can borrow. The last time that I looked they certainly were not cheap.

Luckily I have a full set of regular tube ones that I have picked up over the years at hamfests for some really bargain prices.

Charlie, W5COV

On 9/11/2014 9:26 AM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 9/11/2014 10:09 AM, 'Robert 'RC' Conley' rc.kc5wa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Jim Beard

Gary your idea sounds good it’s a pretty unique size.
Not sure if this will come through but I included a 2 page pdf file.
The Octal socket - if yours is like this one requires a 1.172” hole size. The 2nd page shows the standard Greenlee punches and their hole sizes. I believe step drill will be the best.

Jim Beard

On Sep 11, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Gary Ekker gardenerguy8@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Step drill bits worked well for me.  I picked up a 3 bit set from Harbor Freight.  The largest size was just right for octal socket.  I've found many uses for those bits.

Gary/KF7WNS

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 9/11/2014 10:09 AM, 'Robert 'RC' Conley' rc.kc5wa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

w9qs@...

I second the Harbor Freight step drills.  A real bargain for the price.

Mike, W9QS

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 9/11/2014 10:09 AM, 'Robert 'RC' Conley' rc.kc5wa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Jim Sheldon

On the Harbor Freight ones, make sure you get the Titanium Nitride (TiN) coated ones, they last MUCH longer.  I still have a set from my Electrician days (retired in 2003) that are almost as sharp as they day I got them and they've seen pretty heavy use on steel electrical panels & junction boxes.

Jim - W0EB

*From: *Don Wilhelm w3fpr@embarqmail.com