Topics

Just got new and shinny K3 running barefoot

Phil Anderson

Hey All,

I feel just like a little kid in a toy store!
The K3 arrived on the 10th. Took ten hours
to build, just like they said. Stopped at the
10 watt version so I could get on the air today.
Just worked my first two QSOs on this lovely
machine, W1AW/4 and W7WHO.

After thanksgiving I'll add the KPA3 100 watt
AMP add-on which also goes inside the case.
Still lots to learn about the rig.

Proud Pappy!

Unc, W0XI

WA0ITP

Congrats Unc!  John Watkins N0EVH  has one also, he has brought it to Brutus - Great rig.

On 11/20/2014 6:13 PM, Phil Anderson aldenmcduffie@... [4sqrp] wrote:
Hey All,

I feel just like a little kid in a toy store!
The K3 arrived on the 10th. Took ten hours
to build, just like they said. Stopped at the
10 watt version so I could get on the air today.
Just worked my first two QSOs on this lovely
machine, W1AW/4 and W7WHO.

After thanksgiving I'll add the KPA3 100 watt
AMP add-on which also goes inside the case.
Still lots to learn about the rig.

Proud Pappy!

Unc, W0XI

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
wa0itp@...

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

Phil;
I think you'll find that it is the best xcvr that you have ever owned. I've owned two #3212 & 8361 both upgraded to 100w. You might think about the kxv3a to interface to computer. The rx is superb equalling the K2 (almost) mine #0769
RC KC5WA

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Phil Anderson aldenmcduffie@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hey All,

I feel just like a little kid in a toy store!
The K3 arrived on the 10th. Took ten hours
to build, just like they said. Stopped at the
10 watt version so I could get on the air today.
Just worked my first two QSOs on this lovely
machine, W1AW/4 and W7WHO.

After thanksgiving I'll add the KPA3 100 watt
AMP add-on which also goes inside the case.
Still lots to learn about the rig.

Proud Pappy!

Unc, W0XI

It is official
now I is a
GOM

Welcome to the "club". ;-)

The addition of the P3 makes for a new dimension of working HF.

72, Nate

Darryl J Kelly

I'm running K3 #7167, it has the 100 amp and tuner, but I use it mostly at 5 watts CW. I'm always interested in other's AGC, NR and NB settings, along with use of PRE and ATT. Any feedback from you or anyone else would be appreciated.
Darryl, KK5IB

* On 2014 20 Nov 20:07 -0600, kk5ib01@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:
I'm running K3 #7167, it has the 100 amp and tuner, but I use it
mostly at 5 watts CW. I'm always interested in other's AGC, NR and NB
settings, along with use of PRE and ATT. Any feedback from you or
anyone else would be appreciated.
Hi Darryl.

With a fair amount of wire in the air, I found that PRE OFF and ATT ON
works well along with using the RF Gain to cut the background noise.
Most signals on 160m through 30m are strong enough that I don't change
those settings. On 20m and above it is the antenna and the strength of
the signals on the band that dictate how I set PRE and ATT.

AGC settings are a bit more tricky. In CW I use AGC Fast exclusively
and sometimes set it to Fast in SSB. Other AGC settings are probably at
their stock values except AGC SLP which I have at 008 and AGC THR which
I have at 010.

Those two settings have probably been among the more discussed settings
on the Elecraft mailing list over the four years I've been subscribed to
it. I sort of just settled on those values as they sound good to me and
seem to work well for my operating.

72, Nate

Walter - K5EST

Congrats Uncle Phil! It's a really fine xcvr.

:........Walter Dufrain - K5EST........:
KX-3..TS-590s .FT-817..OHR100
Alex Magnetic Loop by PY1AHD
4SQRP. Navy ARC . SLQS . SKCC
SEKARC.Cmmnty Svc Radio Club
:...........................................................:

On November 20, 2014, at 6:33 PM, "Phil Anderson aldenmcduffie@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hey All,

I feel just like a little kid in a toy store!
The K3 arrived on the 10th. Took ten hours
to build, just like they said. Stopped at the
10 watt version so I could get on the air today.
Just worked my first two QSOs on this lovely
machine, W1AW/4 and W7WHO.

After thanksgiving I'll add the KPA3 100 watt
AMP add-on which also goes inside the case.
Still lots to learn about the rig.

Proud Pappy!

Unc, W0XI

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>