Topics

ARRL CENTENNIAL QSO PARTY - STILL TIME FOR SOME CONTACTS...

Phil Anderson

Notes on the ARRL Centennial QSO Party

Uncle Phil, WØXI

No doubt some of you CW ops have heard “CQ CENT DE XX#YYY” on one or more of the bands lately.  I’d forgotten what CENT represented so googled it and got “ARRL Centennial QSP Party.”  Then I remembered; it’s all about those W1AW/xxx stations on the air since January 1 of 2014. If you did follow them all year, you could have worked All STATES pretty easily. I did make contest-like contacts with a number of then through the year; happy that I did for WAS contacts in 7 land in particular.

For more info on the Centennial Party, check it out on the ARRL website. There are still about 15 days left in the year so you can grab some contacts for your log in any one of the legal modes. And the nice thing is that the stations are usually S9 or better, given conditions. In some cases pileups occur and the W1AW/x op works split. That gives you a chance to practice that DX technique.

According to the ARRL website page on this, if you are an ARRL member, have worked any of these “CENT” stations, and logged your contact via LoTW, then there will be a log of your contacts on the CENTENNIAL POINTS CHALLENGE LEADER BOARD on the ARRL site for this. To reach this site, connect with the LoTW website using your USER NAME and PASSWORD (for that site) and it lists how many contacts you’ve made and your rank.

I was surprised how many W1AW/x stations I’d heard and worked; a titak if 282 year to date! I ranked 10,131 out of 33,438 ops. It’s funny, but each time I heard one of those stations on the air, I tried to make contact, had to wait a few times sometimes due to pileups. Great fun! 73, Phil, WØXI.

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

As an avid QRP'er a little patience and skill will net you W1AW-WAS along with every US territory  because all of them have been on the air. Isn't QRP_CW is an awesome way to earn your DXCC.You can work the world with 5 watts, key and a vertical antenna. WOW

--
It is official
now I is a