Advice for 160 and 80M

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

OM's

Could I get some advice on what to build for 160M and 80M CW?  I was initially looking at KD1JV's 160M Ft. Tuthill or his 160/80 MBDC kit but I am not sure if they will still be available  or not when qrpkits.com's new owners open back up.  I was leaning towards the Ft. Tuthill for 160 as it seems like it would be more battery friendly.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'd rather build my own new gear vs. going out and buying a KX3, K3 or some Japanese rig.  Building is half the reason I've returned to radio.

Thanks de N1ESE

Dale Putnam

QRPkits is expected to be open for business the first of April.

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:05:27 -0400
Subject: [4sqrp] Advice for 160 and 80M

OM's

Could I get some advice on what to build for 160M and 80M CW?  I was initially looking at KD1JV's 160M Ft. Tuthill or his 160/80 MBDC kit but I am not sure if they will still be available  or not when qrpkits.com's new owners open back up.  I was leaning towards the Ft. Tuthill for 160 as it seems like it would be more battery friendly.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'd rather build my own new gear vs. going out and buying a KX3, K3 or some Japanese rig.  Building is half the reason I've returned to radio.

Thanks de N1ESE

Walter - K5EST

JT, Thinking Wilderness Radio used to have a 160 module
for the Sierra transceiver. Don't know if you can find a schematic
to use for building.

72/73,

:........Walter Dufrain - K5EST.......:
KX-3..TS-590s .. FT-817..OHR100
Alex  Magnetic Loop  by  PY1AHD
4SQRP. Navy ARC .SLQS . SKCC
.. Community Service Radio Club ..

Curt

Indeed the ft tut is a nice rig for 80m, and its devices would be a bit tough to homebrew.  I sense a ft tut for another band could be used to build a lower band rig with reasonable mods.  Battery?  80 and 160 tend to be winter bands so indoors I would think current drain is less an issue.

With kits we are at mercy of scarce suppliers.  Could someone create a value oriented multiband rig similar to a sierra or hw8?  Seems like an undertaking for an enterprise vs a club.  But maybe a club could kit a rig with a core containing vfo and IF and audio section snd transmit chain, that could be tailored with choose your band front ends.  Ideas are worth exploring to enable a return to homebuilt pride.

73 curt

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM, wb8yyy@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Battery?  80 and 160 tend to be winter bands so indoors I would think current drain is less an issue.

When I move to my land in the Ozarks, I will be living out in the woods year round relying on solar power for a few necessities such as radio and a freezer for meat.

..

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM, wb8yyy@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I sense a ft tut for another band could be used to build a lower band rig with reasonable mods.

I meant to include this in my previous post, sorry.

KD1JV already designed a 160M Ft. Tuthill kit for Mr. Hendricks.  However, with the sale of the business, I just don't know if it will still be available when it re-opens.  KD1JV also designed a 160/80M dual band rig for qrpkits.com.  James and Kathy are supposed to re-open in a few days so I am crossing my fingers it isn't delayed and neither kit is retired.

..

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM, JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
KD1JV already designed a 160M Ft. Tuthill kit for Mr. Hendricks.

Correction, the 160M Ft. Tuthill was done by Dan Tayloe.  Sorry.

..

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Curt,

If scarce supplier problems are to be avoided, I suggest that all new designs be adapted for SMD components.  Thru-hole resistors and small value fixed capacitors are still commonly available, so the problem is with components like trimmer capacitors, variable resistors and active devices (transistors, ICs and diodes).  Those are disappearing from the thru-hole application fast.  I know this is not what a lot of hams would like to hear, but unfortunately, it is reality.  For those of us who enjoy building, we will have to adapt to SMD if we are to continue that passion.  Some have discovered that reproducing some of the older designs (the QRP Mountaineer by Wes Hayward comes to mind) is no longer feasible because the parts are not available in the original form factor.

In the meantime, if you want a good 160 and 80 meter transceiver, may I suggest the Elecraft K1.  Yes, a 160 meter band is not available from Elecraft, but I can supply instructions for adding 160 meters to the K1 2 band board - just send me an email.
An Elecraft K2 with the K160RX option is also a good alternative.  Yes, these are not in the category of 'inexpensive transceivers', but are top of the line for performance, and can be multiband rigs - 160 through 10 meters for the K2, and 160 through 15 meters for the K1 (with the non-Elecraft 160 meter mod and using multiple band boards).

OK, confession time - I have consumed the Elecraft 'kool-aid' (and I am a part time employee), but they will provide you with solid gear that you can build yourself.  If you are not looking for the soldering build experience, then look hard at the KX3 for an all mode 160 thru 6 meter transceiver (with a 2 meter option) if you want a good modern QRP transceiver.  It is available as a no-soldering kit as well as factory built.  If you price a fully loaded K2 alongside a KX3, the KX3 wins hands down, so unless you want the building experience or want a stripped down K2, choose the KX3 for a better value.  Both the K2 and the KX3 are in the class of 'contest grade' receivers (see Sherwood's rankings).

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/27/2015 7:08 PM, wb8yyy@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Indeed the ft tut is a nice rig for 80m, and its devices would be a bit tough to homebrew.  I sense a ft tut for another band could be used to build a lower band rig with reasonable mods.  Battery?  80 and 160 tend to be winter bands so indoors I would think current drain is less an issue.

With kits we are at mercy of scarce suppliers.  Could someone create a value oriented multiband rig similar to a sierra or hw8?  Seems like an undertaking for an enterprise vs a club.  But maybe a club could kit a rig with a core containing vfo and IF and audio section snd transmit chain, that could be tailored with choose your band front ends.  Ideas are worth exploring to enable a return to homebuilt pride.

Curt

My suspicion is if they have the stock, they will sell it.

I remember folk adapting their 80m kits to 160m.  While you might prefer a fresh kit maybe you could buy a 80m tut and convert it to 160m.

Homebrew isnt everyone's passion, but a modular approach can lead to some progressive building.  Lots of inspiration at soldersmoke.  Also shift gears when what you seek is unobtanium.  Just building a couple regen receivers created some interest.  Right now well my bench is occupied by tomato seedlings.

CUL curt

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"JT Croteau"
Date:Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Subject:Re: [4sqrp] Re: Advice for 160 and 80M

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

In the meantime, if you want a good 160 and 80 meter transceiver, may I suggest the Elecraft K1.  Yes, a 160 meter band is not available from Elecraft, but I can supply instructions for adding 160 meters to the K1 2 band board - just send me an email.

Don, that is a good idea to be honest.  I had forgotten there was a non-Elecraft mod to put the K1 on 160M.

I did build a K2 back in late 2007 and made hundreds of contacts from my crappy apartment QTH in a short time.  I never should have sold it.  The KX3 is a good idea but I'd much rather build a few simple monoband or dual band rigs from kits to bring back the smell of solder.  My new QTH in the Ozarks will be in the middle of nowhere, 5 miles from my nearest neighbor so, with some high wire antennas, simple analog rigs should work well.  I don't need/want ever band that a K2 or K3 offers.  160 and 80 are of great interest to me because, since my novice days 27 years ago, I've been stuck in an apartment.  When I move to my land, I will have 5-acres at 1400 feet on one of the highest ridges in the area.  With the exception of some unexpected QSOs on 80, I've never really had a chance to play much on those bands.  40, 30, and 15 are my other primary bands I'd like to focus on.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit impatient at times but I am trying to wait out both the return of qrpkits.com and the 4SQRP SS-40 twins.

If the new QRPkits.com doesn't retire them, I may give the Ft. Tuthill 160 and 15M kits along with the Webber Tri-Bander for 80/40/30 a try.

There are a number of SDR options out there these days some, such as the SDR-Cube project, that don't require a PC, but I still really like a simple analog rig.  I may build the SDR-Cube with a NUE-PSK modem for PSK but I'd rather stay pure analog for CW.

Thanks Don, Curt, et al.

73 de N1ESE

John Clements

Actually creating a multi-band QRP rig is one of my long term goals.  I like the modular approach and watching closely to the article in the latest QQ because it's right in the ballpark of what I've been thinking.  The end goal needs to be easy to build, common easy to get parts, 5W out, good filtering of some sort, and preferably multiband, or at least band-pluggable. That being said, I'm sure SMD will need to be minor part of it now days.  Just can't get a DDS or those neat oscillators in thru-hole.  Looking forward to the next QQ and YouTube vids.

72
John kc9on