Topics

BATT

Jeremy Utley

I'll speak for Jim's batteries.  I've got 4 I picked from him (or his buddy he brought along to Ozarkcon 2013, can't remember which) that are still going strong for me.  The ones I have are 12V 17Ah batteries, and I charge them from my Astron PS with one of the KI0BK PwrGates - which also provides instant switchover if AC Mains go out.

Jeremy, NQ0M

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

This sounds like a really neat battery.  The capacity is certainly in my range?  What is the voltage?

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL  
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886
LFSARC (Lawton/Fort Sill Amateur Radio Club)

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM, 'Jim Sheldon' w0eb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,
I have several cases (8 batteries to the case - Medical portable X-Ray pullouts normally about a year old and all tested good) including one case where all 8 batteries are essentially still new.  They are 9 amp hour medical grade, un-spillable, and can be charged and/or operated in any position.  They are not very large and weigh about 4 lbs each.  I sell them for $10 each or 2/$15, but UPS shipping would be prohibitive (can't be shipped US Postal Service).  If you can find someone to "mule" them down to your area, let me know, arrangements could be made.  I run one of these on my KX3 and can get a couple days normal operation out of it if I don't transmit RTTY or PSK and stick to CW at 5 watts.  I ran one down running 10 watts out on and it gave me almost a whole day before the KX3 decided the voltage was low enough and dropped to 5 watts.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
Park City, KS  (Just North of Wichita).

------ Original Message ------
From: "Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
To: "QRP-L Mailing List" <qrp-l@...>; "4sqrp@..." <4sqrp@...>; hfnow@...
Sent: 5/6/2015 1:38:11 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] BATT

This will probably unlease a malestrom of replies...sorry but I really value the differning opinions...

Among the various battery options I have when in the RV is to charge batts to take with me if I decide to stroll up the hills.  Previous discussions this were informative, but I now have one issue that is very specific.

If I want a SLAB, what are the suggestions for the lightest, smallest ones?  I have surfed the 'net and seen a lot of ads, but I would like to have the opinions of real users.  Will be hitting the RV road in two weeks and want a SLAB to supplement my AA 12 volt packs. My XMTR uses 1-2 Amps and receive is about 350mA.

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Michael McEwen

This sounds like a really neat battery.  The capacity is certainly in my range?  What is the voltage?

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM, 'Jim Sheldon' w0eb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,
I have several cases (8 batteries to the case - Medical portable X-Ray pullouts normally about a year old and all tested good) including one case where all 8 batteries are essentially still new.  They are 9 amp hour medical grade, un-spillable, and can be charged and/or operated in any position.  They are not very large and weigh about 4 lbs each.  I sell them for $10 each or 2/$15, but UPS shipping would be prohibitive (can't be shipped US Postal Service).  If you can find someone to "mule" them down to your area, let me know, arrangements could be made.  I run one of these on my KX3 and can get a couple days normal operation out of it if I don't transmit RTTY or PSK and stick to CW at 5 watts.  I ran one down running 10 watts out on and it gave me almost a whole day before the KX3 decided the voltage was low enough and dropped to 5 watts.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

This will probably unlease a malestrom of replies...sorry but I really value the differning opinions...

Among the various battery options I have when in the RV is to charge batts to take with me if I decide to stroll up the hills.  Previous discussions this were informative, but I now have one issue that is very specific.

If I want a SLAB, what are the suggestions for the lightest, smallest ones?  I have surfed the 'net and seen a lot of ads, but I would like to have the opinions of real users.  Will be hitting the RV road in two weeks and want a SLAB to supplement my AA 12 volt packs. My XMTR uses 1-2 Amps and receive is about 350mA.

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Michael McEwen

Check out the Casita web site or come and see ours...I compared about a half dozen 15-20 ft. brands.  Unless you want to spend big bucks for an Airstream, the Casita 17 is a heck of a TT for two people, one dog, and my QRP gear (and 2/440) in the truck, of course.  It has a real suspension, not just a straight axle, and fine brakes...and the inside amenities are excellent.  I think we paid about $20K for ours...delivered from the TX factory to our SW OK QTH.

My QRP ops from inside are great...plenty of 12V and it has a 110V charger for the big Batt.  I operate from the dining table and all gear goes into one of the compartments over it...minimal XYL QRM...

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 7:01 AM, ke4d@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I use thise same batteries found at Academy for my RC planes. I find them at our local grocery store for about half the cost one pays at a hobby shop ( very rural area, lots of hunting ranches). I use them for my qrp rigs all of the time. They run $10-$12 at the grovery store. Not too large and very cost effective. If I were hiking its doubtful that zi'd take one of those lead acod batteries though. The LIPo are much lighter. Just sold my motorhome Michael so until I replace it with a small TT we won't meet on the road!  

de ke4d

ke4d@...

I use thise same batteries found at Academy for my RC planes. I find them at our local grocery store for about half the cost one pays at a hobby shop ( very rural area, lots of hunting ranches). I use them for my qrp rigs all of the time. They run $10-$12 at the grovery store. Not too large and very cost effective. If I were hiking its doubtful that zi'd take one of those lead acod batteries though. The LIPo are much lighter. Just sold my motorhome Michael so until I replace it with a small TT we won't meet on the road!  

de ke4d

Richard Dickerson

The 12 and 6 volt SLA they sell at academy for deer feeders work well and they are very cheap.  I've used them for years to power XCVRs in my deer stands with a solar charger.  I get more QSOs than deer though

Sent from my iPad

On May 6, 2015, at 14:38, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

WA0ITP

GA Doc,

Plug your numbers into K5DCM's battery life calculator to detrmine what capacity battery you will need.  Then search for a similar sla one on the web.   http://www.4sqrp.com/Battery_Capacity/index.php .  SLAs do work well and many, if not, most, of us have experience with them.  

Litium technologies are another good option, and some of us are using LiPOs, LiON, and LiFePO4 chemistry batts also.  Lotsa choices out there. 
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
wa0itp@...
On 5/6/2015 1:38 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5941 / Virus Database: 4342/9709 - Release Date: 05/06/15

Jim Sheldon

Hi Mike,

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Michael McEwen

ARRL  

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret