Field Day

Charles W. Powell

I am free for Field Day this year (how did it happen?) so I’m going to operate QRP 1B-battery.  The lure of 10 points per QSO is pretty strong. Does anyone have any recommendations for setting up a station?  I have the KX3, so the radio is not a problem.  I need to do a little site survey, but where I am considering I can set up a near vertical long wire.  As a second antenna, I was thinking about hanging a very large horizontal loop for NVIS.

I read some of the information that Terry WA0ITP posted in the past, i.e., call CQ, don't act like you're QRP, and just go for it.  Sound advice.

Also, my laptop, a Macbook Air, only lasts 5 or 6 hours on its battery.  It's legal to power the computer with a generator, but I don't have one.  Maybe I should try to find a 12 volt inverter to charge from the car battery?  I checked with ARRL a few years ago and this is legal, as long as you don't use the motorized generators to power the radio.

Comments?

Chas - NK8O

John Lonigro

Chas:

1) Calling CQ at 5W might be tough.  If you can do it, go for it, but chances are someone else won't hear you, will think the frequency is clear, and will be on top of your signal.  The bands are very crowded on Field Day.  Our club (St. Louis QRP Society) uses "Search and Pounce" almost exclusively.

You are correct that you can power the laptop from the mains, as long as you aren't using it for digital communication.  Performing logging using commercial mains or a generator won't affect your 10 pts/QSO.  If you use it for PSK or RTTY or other digital modes, that's a different story.

Good luck and 72,

John AA0VE

On 05/11/2015 06:53 PM, doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

I’m a crazy old CW op.  No PSK or RTTY for me.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On May 11, 2015, at 18:26, John R. Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

[...]

Wayne Dillon

Chas,
You're in seriously good company!
Blessings
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:36 PM, Charles Powell doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
CW Ragchewers Anonymous #40
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello CHAS
Your on the right track already!
Power your radio from battey and use 5 watts, that's the legal part as far as I know!
Keep your antenna's simple, vertical, inverted VEE, G5rv junior, inverted L all seem to work well. We have tried several through the years and some play better than others.
The idea of having one for close range like a NVIS is good but any the above work well.
Logging can be done on paper, but a computer with logging software sorts out the dupes!
Scott N3JFP sells a great field day logging program, no vested intrest, just a satisfied customer.
I'm not sure the ARRL cares about the power for your computer, but I may stand corrected.
If they do, run it from battery also?
You are correct on telling them your are QRP, some QRO operators go deaf if you do!

Just go set up fight the bugs and have fun!!
Don't forget to bring food, that's the best part!

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72

Joshua Gould, K8WXA <jg.k8wxa@...>

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm still trying to decide if I am going to do field day on my own or see what the ARES group I'm active with is doing. Is 5 watts all the ARRL considers QRP?

72,
Joshua Gould
K8WXA
EM89pn

KX3# 7480
NAQCC # 7704
OMISS # 9948
4SQRP # 990

This message was sent from an iPhone. Please excuse any typos and the brevity of responses

dave <ho13dave@...>

I'm not sure the ARRL cares about the power for your computer, but I
may stand corrected.
I can't quote the exact phrase the ARRL uses . . . but . . . if the
computer keys the rig it must be battery powered (or generator, if not
QRP). This assumes you are running as a field station. Would be
different for some of the other categories.

If the computer is used only for logging, no keying of the rig or
otherwise driving the TX, it can run off mains power.

Any digital operations that use the pc sound card would need to be
battery/generator powered.

Read over the rules carefully, all this is in there. Check the FAQ's.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4

On 5/11/15 8:31 PM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Johnny AC0BQÂ

On Monday, May 11, 2015, doctorcwp@yahoo.com
<mailto:doctorcwp@yahoo.com> [4sqrp] <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

__

[...]

Here it is out of the rules:

7.1. QSO Points:

7.1.1. Phone contacts count one point each. 7.1.2. CW contacts count two points each. 7.1.3. Digital contacts count two points each.

7.2. Power multipliers: The power multiplier that applies is determined by the highest power output of any of the transmitters used during the Field Day operation.

7.2.1. If all contacts are made using a power of 5 Watts or less and if a power source other than commercial mains or motor-driven generator is used (batteries, solar cells, water-driven generator), the power multiplier is 5 (five).
7.2.2. If all contacts are made using a power of 5 Watts or less, but the power source is from a commercial main or from a motor-driven generator, the power multiplier is 2. If batteries are charged during the Field Day period using commercial mains or a motor-driven generator the power multiplier is 2 (two).

7.2.3. If any or all contacts are made using an output power up to 150 Watts or less, the power multiplier is 2 (two).
7.2.4. If any or all contacts are made using an output power greater than 150 Watts, the power multiplier is 1 (one).

7.2.5. The power multiplier for an entry is determined by the maximum output power used by any transmitter used to complete any contact during the event. (Example: a group has one QRP station running 3 Watts and a second station running 100 Watts, the power multiplier of 2 applies to all contacts made by the entire operation).

72,

Chas

On May 11, 2015, at 19:54, 'Joshua Gould, K8WXA' jg.k8wxa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Winkelman <bdwink@...>

Chas---
I operated from my back patio last year for a couple of hours using ol' #52 (Cyclone 40) on battery power and my 40 meter inverted vee. Finished with 22 QSOs, 320 points in 1B-1B. Great fun, never did indicate I was QRP. Won't be on this year due to long-planned family commitments this summer.

Have fun!
72,
Bruce AA5CO
Tulsa, OK

Charles W. Powell

You’re right, Johnny.

"You must operate all transmitting and receiving equipment from emergency power. If you use a computer to control or operate the radio, it also must use emergency power. If the computer is used only for logging and is not keying the transmitter, it does not need to be emergency powered.

So since I want to key the rig with the computer, I’ll need to figure out battery power for the computer.  During the day, I have a solar panel that can be used to accomplish this, or at least to slow the discharge rate. The laptop is problematic because it takes 18-19 volts.  I have a 12 Ah 12V LiFePO4 for the radio.  Other than the time I plan to use a large solar panel to gain extra points, the 12 Ah really should last the entire 24h.  Overnight, I’ll probably go to sleep when the computer dies!

72,

Chas - NK8O

On 5/11/15 8:31 PM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] wrote:

> Hello CHAS
> Your on the right track already!
> Power your radio from battey and use 5 watts, that's the legal part as
> far as I know!
> Keep your antenna's simple, vertical, inverted VEE, G5rv junior,
> inverted L all seem to work well. We have tried several through the
> years and some play better than others.
> The idea of having one for close range like a NVIS is good but any the
> above work well.
> Logging can be done on paper, but a computer with logging software
> sorts out the dupes!
> Scott N3JFP sells a great field day logging program, no vested
> intrest, just a satisfied customer.
> I'm not sure the ARRL cares about the power for your computer, but I
> may stand corrected.
> If they do, run it from battery also?
> You are correct on telling them your are QRP, some QRO operators go
> deaf if you do!
>
> Just go set up fight the bugs and have fun!!
> Don't forget to bring food, that's the best part!
> 72
> Johnny AC0BQÂ
>
> On Monday, May 11, 2015, doctorcwp@...
> <mailto:doctorcwp@...> [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...
> <mailto:4sqrp@...>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> I am free for Field Day this year (how did it happen?) so I’m
> going to operate QRP 1B-battery. The lure of 10 points per QSO
> is pretty strong. Does anyone have any recommendations for setting
> up a station? I have the KX3, so the radio is not a problem. I
> need to do a little site survey, but where I am considering I can
> set up a near vertical long wire. As a second antenna, I was
> thinking about hanging a very large horizontal loop for NVIS.
>

> I read some of the information that Terry WA0ITP posted in the
> past, i.e., call CQ, don't act like you're QRP, and just go for
> it. Sound advice.
>

> Also, my laptop, a Macbook Air, only lasts 5 or 6 hours on its
> battery. It's legal to power the computer with a generator, but
> I don't have one. Maybe I should try to find a 12 volt inverter
> to charge from the car battery? I checked with ARRL a few years
> ago and this is legal, as long as you don't use the motorized
> generators to power the radio.
>

> Comments?
>

> Chas - NK8O
>

> --
> QRP....."more smiles per watt"
> 72
> JOHNNY AC0BQÂ ..

Johnny AC0BQ

I think they let you use 10 watts Ssb, but you may need to double check me!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Monday, May 11, 2015, Joshua Gould, K8WXA <jg.k8wxa@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

For ARRL contests/awards the SSB limit is 5 watts, just like all other modes.
Many other contests allow 10 watts for QRP SSB, check the rules for each contest.

73,
W3FPR

On 5/12/2015 7:06 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I think they let you use 10 watts Ssb, but you may need to double check me!

Johnny AC0BQ

On Monday, May 11, 2015, Joshua Gould, K8WXA <jg.k8wxa@...> wrote:
I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm still trying to decide if I am going to do field day on my own or see what the ARES group I'm active with is doing. Is 5 watts all the ARRL considers QRP?

Bill Cromwell

Thanks Don,

On another list the question about QRP came up. I pointed out that the "definition" of QRP varies and we have to read the rules posted by each sponsor for the event they are sponsoring. When 10 watts PEP is allowed for SSB in the QRP class that will be clearly stated in the rules for that event. As Don has mentioned, for FD the QRP limit is 5 watts. When I operate as a QRP station and the sponsor says it's a 5 watt limit I will throttle back to 3 or 4 watts. Amateur tolerances ya know. I might still be close to five watts (but not over) with my hillbilly homebrew gear.

Have fun at FD.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 5/12/2015 7:06 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

I think they let you use 10 watts Ssb, but you may need to double check me!

Johnny AC0BQ

yahoomail@...

I made up a battery booster, a couple of Field Days ago, from a cheap Chinese module found on eBay:

150W DC-DC Boost Converter 10-32V to 12-35V 6A Step Up Voltage Charger Power | eBay

They are still available.

I put the module in a small box along with another cheap module for a digital voltage display.

I used PowerPole pig tails, in and out, and a fuse.

The converter and volt meter are NOT low current devices however.

They WILL cost you some battery capacity when you are boosting the 12-13 VDC input battery up to 18-19 VDC for the computer needs.

But - If you hurry, you have time to build one up for this year.

72/3,

-Ed, WG5F-

moshecontra

You can also buy ready-made converter modules that have a 12VDC input and an output that can be selected from various voltages, e.g., 14-16-18-20V.  These often come with a variety of plugs, hopefully one will fit your laptop.  Search Amazon for "GoodGo Universal Car Charger Laptop" for example and you'll see some for under $10.

Also, using a "netbook", especially one with a solid-state drive, will minimize the power draw.

- N1OVN