Really dumb crystal question

Michael McEwen

Please excuse my dumb questio, but I can spend beaucoup hours on google trying to find what you guys can provide in minutes.

Can there be a crystal controlled micro TX like the many QRP CW rigs we have?  My CW (basic ones, NS-40 and Peanut Whistle 2) are very cool for QRPp CW.  But as my CIDP develops, I'm going to need to plan SSB.  I have a fine home station (only 100W but pretty darn good non-yagi/tower/rotator antennas).

I am ripped when I can be out on the local Wichita Mountains range and do QRP SSB.

Maybe this is dumb do my ignorance...crystal QRP SSB?  How dumb can you be...

BTW, do have an LNR LD-5 with both CW and SSB.  Just looking for a kit I can share with my grandchildren...we have an Ozark Patrol for our listening (and their CW practicing).  My younger son, Colin, is not yetlicensed but his is a cabinetmaker and I'm planning (evil grin) to get him to become my solder and "oh shucks...missed that one" guy.
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Doc,

I can't think of anything other than the Elecraft K2 for that purpose.  It is not crystal controlled, but the VFO is quite stable being of a hybrid PLL/VCO design.

The basic K2 is a CW only transceiver, but the KSB2 option interrupts the path between the BFO and the Transmit Mixer to add SSB to the transmit path.  Oh yes, it also works on receive by replacing the variable width IF filter with a 7 pole 2.4 kHz filter.

The concept is not complex, but it works, and works quite well.

There are other QRP rigs that operate SSB as well, but if your desire is a kit built QRP transceiver that can be built easily - having an RF path that is easily understood, I think the K2 with the KSB2 option will serve your needs quite well.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/18/2015 6:27 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Colin Evans

Hi Doc,

I don't know of any crystal controlled SSB rigs, but there are quite a number of simple SSB rig kits out there.
The Hendricks BITX20 might be an option? Doug Hendricks retired recently and QRP kits has been taken over by someone else, hopefully the Old range of kits will be made available again.

Just about the simplest SSB rig that I know about is the ILER20 and ILER40. These little rigs seem to be highly regarded.

73, Colin M1BUU

KR Mason <ke5ufy@...>

Peter, VK3YE has a couple of designs for crystal controlled phone rigs.  The Beach 40 and the Knobless Wonder.

Just google his call and you'll find his website.

Good luck,

Kent  KE5UFY

Colin Evans

hal.schlotfeld@...

There is also the ones that qrvtronics carries. 80,40 and 20m versions

Darryl J Kelly

I will second the idea of an Elecraft K2. I have used several QRP radios, the MFJ-90X0 series, SW-40+, a TenTec Scout, and more but I wanted a QRP radio to set on my small desk. I wanted all band, SSB, digital frequency readout, built in keyer, two vfos, RIT, good filters, and s meter The radio that best fit that for me was the K2. I've had mine about a year and it's a keeper. Only advice in buying one is look for a high serial number if you buy a used one, as there our several upgrades that need to be done. Also my thinking is to leave the 100 watt amp out and leave the K2 as a QRP radio as that is what works best for me.
Darryl, KK5IB

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Any K2 with a serial number above 4660 has all the Elecraft mods installed.
One with a serial number above 3000 has all mods except for the PLL temperarture stability (thermistor) mod and the K2 Keying waveshape mod.
The keying waveshape mod kit is no longer available due to the unavailability of the PIN diode, but is not necessary in a QRP K2.
If it has a serial number below 3000, ask if it has had *all* the A to B mods installed - many have.
Any K2 can be upgraded, and the cost of all the upgrade kits is about $110 - add $54 if the firmware is not up to date.
The latest firmware is MCU 2.04.  To see the firmware level, hold any button in while powering on, it will be briefly displayed.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/19/2015 7:59 AM, kk5ib01@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I will second the idea of an Elecraft K2. I have used several QRP radios, the MFJ-90X0 series, SW-40+, a TenTec Scout, and more but I wanted a QRP radio to set on my small desk. I wanted all band, SSB, digital frequency readout, built in keyer, two vfos, RIT, good filters, and s meter The radio that best fit that for me was the K2. I've had mine about a year and it's a keeper. Only advice in buying one is look for a high serial number if you buy a used one, as there our several upgrades that need to be done. Also my thinking is to leave the 100 watt amp out and leave the K2 as a QRP radio as that is what works best for me.
Darryl, KK5IB

Jon Wanzer <jon@...>

Greetings Doc,

As for homebrew/kit I know of the Beach 40 which is DSB. I have seen it in 17, 20, 40, and 80 meter. I am actually building one myself right now and documenting the build on my website. I am also looking into the BitX 20 which is SSB and I have seen it in the same bands. I know the BitX can be bought as a kit, though I'm not sure where or how much. The Beach, I don't know if it has been kitted.

I wouldn't call them "micro" but the Beach 40 I am building could most likely fit in a case about 1/5th the size of the case I am building or less which is 8" wide, 3" tall, and 6" deep. I could probably get it down to 2 x 3 x 6 if I used a vericap. The air-variable takes up almost as much room as the rest of the radio!

73,

~Jon Wanzer KK6GXG

(408) 515-3583
jon@... | www.KK6GXG.com
ARRL/VEC VE

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Dale Putnam

The BITX17/20 can be had at QRPkits....

http://www.qrpkits.com/bitx20a.html

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Bill Cromwell

Hi Michael,

I have a Small Wonders Lab SW-40 PSK for 20 meters. It IS a SSB transceiver with an xtal oscillator where a VFO might be in other transceivers. I don't think those are available any more but you might find for the band you want and change the xtal for one that operates the radio on the frequency of your choice. Some single frequency radios have the IF filter on the operating frequency as well but this one has 9 mc xtals in the filters. You use a VXO circuit or a plain xtal oscillator with trimmer inside the radio.

I hope this helps.

73,

Bill  KU8H

On 05/18/2015 06:27 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

moshecontra

I think you mean the PSK-20, which SWL sold as a kit, single-frequency SSB trx for 20m PSK31.  The SW40 was a CW-only 40m rig.  I have embarked on a long-term project to try and coax the SW40 to transmit PSK31, using a simple low-frequency interface circuit between the PC and the radio.  I got that interface working, but still have to see if the tx final can be modulated to output a clean enough signal, since it is designed to be class C.

Since most PSK31 activity on 20m is within a single 3 KHz range (roughly 14070 to 14073, many different QSOs can be worked simultaneously with the PSK20 with its fixed "carrier" frequency of 14070, a 3 KHz wide IF filter, and PSK31 software on a PC.  I don't see how a crystal-controlled voice-SSB rig would be very useful, though, as there could only be one QSO at a time within the 3 KHz channel.  Change the oscillator to a VXO, tweaking the crystal frequency over 10 or 20 KHz with a variable capacitor or varactor diode, and it might become useful.

Colin Evans

If you go down the home brew route, you can have exactly what you have want. Using a DDS module in a BITX circuit can result in a very cheap, stable and frequency agile rig. If you wanted QRPp power, then just leave off the PA stage! I think the basic BITX puts out about 400mW.

My BITX20 uses an AD9850 DDS module controlled by a Chinese Arduino clone (~$5). If I was to do it again, I'd use the Si5351 module as it negates the need for a separate BFO.

http://m1buu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/bitx20-project.html

73

Michael McEwen

Fascinating...

_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM, m1buu@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

If you go down the home brew route, you can have exactly what you have want. Using a DDS module in a BITX circuit can result in a very cheap, stable and frequency agile rig. If you wanted QRPp power, then just leave off the PA stage! I think the basic BITX puts out about 400mW.

My BITX20 uses an AD9850 DDS module controlled by a Chinese Arduino clone (~$5). If I was to do it again, I'd use the Si5351 module as it negates the need for a separate BFO.

http://m1buu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/bitx20-project.html

73

Sam Neal

Hello,

The only ones I can think of were the " first generation " Central Electronic
10-A and 20-B rigs, which were phasing rigs, not crystal filter rigs.

The DSB rigs such as the
WRL " Side-bander " and the WRL/Globe Electronics " Meteor " were crystal
controlled or could be controlled with an external VFO which operated on the
frequency you wanted to operate on.

Sam Neal N5AF

-----
Hi Doc,

I don't know of any crystal controlled SSB rigs, but there are quite a number
of simple SSB rig kits out there.
The Hendricks BITX20 might be an option? Doug Hendricks retired recently and
QRP kits has been taken over by someone else, hopefully the Old range of kits
will be made available again.

Just about the simplest SSB rig that I know about is the ILER20 and ILER40.
These little rigs seem to be highly regarded.

73, Colin M1BUU

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

The Gonset GSB-100 was also a phasing-type SSB rig, contemporaneous with the Central Electronic exciters.

Still have one sitting in the "museum" part of my shack.

73,

Kent� K9ZTV

On 6/2/2015 10:00 AM, 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Sam Neal"
------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)