Punk antenna

Michael McEwen

I have recently been given a neat 2 1/2 W crystal controlled transmitter (7.030 and 7.040 crystals).

My plan is to put together an ultraminimalist station.  Believe it or not, I have a Sony SW 7600 portable which receives CW really nicely. I have a tiny Whiterook Products MK-32 sideswiper key. And a 12V for the TX power.

What I want is the simplest TX antenna that would work for this.  I could use my 40M dipole here at home, but I really want some smaller than that for taking the station to the park, picnics, etc.

The best idea I can up with is a hamstick, but I afraid that the efficiency will be so low as to simulate a dummy load.  Is there some kind of vertical other than a standard 1/4 wave I could use?  A full 1/4 wave vertical is a no-go.

I'd rather not use a tuner although I have a good one...I really would like this to be as simple as possible, just for grins...
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

How about a mag-loop?

73,

Bill KU8H

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

[...]

Charles W. Powell

About anything other than a tuned dipole is going to need a tuner.  Short antennas have too much loss. The other option would be something like a Norcal doublet (22’ length for each leg, center fed with ladder line or window line).  A long wire would be the next choice.  My 2¢ anyway.  It all depends on what supports (trees) you have available.

72,

Chas - NK8O
4SQRP 843, SKCC 8952T, NAQCC #5873

On May 25, 2015, at 19:17, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Wendell Morrill

Is there any way that you can convert it to 20 meters? Propagation during
the daytime is usually better on 20 than 40. A 20 meter dipole is
manageable for portable use.
My 2 cents....
Wendell
N7WM

On May 25, 2015, at 19:17, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@gmail.com [4sqrp]
<4sqrp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

_ _ ... .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone: 580 919-9205
Residence: 580 529-3412

J.K. Wright

Search Yo Yo Tenna Deluxe-  retractable dipole.

On May 25, 2015 9:46 PM, "wmorrill@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Is there any way that you can convert it to 20 meters? Propagation during
the daytime is usually better on 20 than 40. A 20 meter dipole is
manageable for portable use.
My 2 cents....
Wendell
N7WM

> About anything other than a tuned dipole is going to need a tuner. Short
> antennas have too much loss. The other option would be something like a
> Norcal doublet (22’ length for each leg, center fed with ladder line or
> window line). A long wire would be the next choice. My 2¢ anyway. It
> all depends on what supports (trees) you have available.
>
> 72,
>
> Chas - NK8O
> 4SQRP 843, SKCC 8952T, NAQCC #5873
>

>> On May 25, 2015, at 19:17, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp]
>> <4sqrp@...> wrote:
>>

>> I have recently been given a neat 2 1/2 W crystal controlled transmitter
>> (7.030 and 7.040 crystals).
>>
>> My plan is to put together an ultraminimalist station. Believe it or
>> not, I have a Sony SW 7600 portable which receives CW really nicely. I
>> have a tiny Whiterook Products MK-32 sideswiper key. And a 12V for the
>> TX power.
>>
>> What I want is the simplest TX antenna that would work for this. I
>> could use my 40M dipole here at home, but I really want some smaller
>> than that for taking the station to the park, picnics, etc.
>>
>> The best idea I can up with is a hamstick, but I afraid that the
>> efficiency will be so low as to simulate a dummy load. Is there some
>> kind of vertical other than a standard 1/4 wave I could use? A full 1/4
>> wave vertical is a no-go.
>>
>> I'd rather not use a tuner although I have a good one...I really would
>> like this to be as simple as possible, just for grins...
>> _ _ ... .. _ _ _
>>
>> Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
>> ARRL
>> 4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
>> FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886
>> LFSARC (Lawton/Fort Sill Amateur Radio Club)
>>
>> Michael T McEwen
>> Lt Col, US Army, Ret
>>
>> Cellular Phone: 580 919-9205
>> Residence: 580 529-3412

w7aqk@...

Hi Michael,

You will probably get some pretty good antenna suggestions here, but I want to caution you in case this might be your first attempt at QRP.  Since 40 meters is the band you will be using, the antenna you select needs to be as good as you can possibly make it.  So, if there is any way you could go with a dipole, and maybe even just one of those collapsible poles for a support, you may find that works a lot better.  I've operated QRP on 40 a bunch, and often with just something much simpler, like an MP-1 or similar, but 40 is a tough band for using small portable antenna systems like that.  You really need to pay attention to putting out a good ground radial system.  If you do, you can have some very good results with smaller systems like that.  An End Fed Half Wave, or even one of the Mag Loops might be a good option too, but both have some disadvantages.  Even a random wire and a counterpoise can work well, but you probably would need some kind of tuner.  There are some very good small tuners--like a Z match--that will do a good job and not take up much space in your pack.

Check out what some of the SOTA folks are using for antennas.  They usually have it down to a science as far as keeping things as simple as possible while still being effective.

Good luck and hope you have lots of fun with that rig.  QRP is a hoot once you get into it.

Dave W7AQK

Tim N9PUZ

With goals of ultra simple, works well, and no tuner I would second the NorCal Doublet style antenna. This would assume you can find a handy tree, etc. as a support and do not have to carry a mast.

With a tuner, even a simple one, I'd go with an end fed wire and a short counterpoise. Search on the End Fed Have Wave for plenty of ideas. This would actually be my first choice even adding in a small tuner of some type although it is slightly more complicated.

Tim N9PUZ

On 5/25/2015 7:17 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

What I want is the simplest TX antenna that would work for this. I
could use my 40M dipole here at home, but I really want some smaller
than that for taking the station to the park, picnics, etc.

Donald Sanders

Michael, Some good suggestions from others.
QRPMEkits has a nice small ant tuner as a kit if you decide to use one.
I have used both a full sized dipole as inverted Vee- requires at least 40 foot each side of the center support -but is most efficient and a reduced length of 50 feet and loading coils at 50 to 60 percent of distance toward the end from the center. Both are efficient.
Short run of RG 174(30 feet) or longer run of RG58C(40 to 50 feet) will do well for feed line.  Look on internet for program "LODIPOLE" . It will help design the loaded dipole and the coils needed.
100 feet of nylon rope can be used to pull it up into a tree.
For a center mast, a jacpole or at least a 7 meter telescoping pole will do. SOTA in England has a nice telescoping pole.
Also 4 or 5 telescoping sections of PVC pipe can make a center mast. Length of each section as needed for easy transport. I have my mast in 10 feet(3 meter) lengths of 1 inch and 1/2 inch PVC and it works well for a 20 foot mast. Overlap 6 inches and I use adj clamp for portable setup with 3 inch slits in the end of the 1 inch PVC. Tie it to what ever support is available
I also use two as home base masts for ends of a 44 foot inv vee fed with 300 ohm line. The center is a 10 meter bamboo pole.

Dr. Don HC4/W4BWS

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

LARRY MAKOSKI <w2lj@...>

PAC-12 antenna works reasonably well. Small vertical, which can either be commercially purchased or homebrewed. I used the homebrewed version for years.

Here's a link to the homebrew instructions: http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/

73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Michael McEwen

Very simple and elegant design...TNX...
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 8:31 AM, LARRY MAKOSKI w2lj@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

PAC-12 antenna works reasonably well. Small vertical, which can either be commercially purchased or homebrewed. I used the homebrewed version for years.

Here's a link to the homebrew instructions: http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/

73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Martin Huyett <huyettmeh@...>

Dave (W7AQK) and Michael,

I’d be interested in any info you care to share about end fed half wave antennas you’ve had experience with, Dave, including the tuner and deployment of the actual antenna, counterpoise, etc. Like Michael I’m playing with the idea of taking a QRP setup with me on a hike in Glacier National Park and have been trying different antennas in my back yard. I describe in some detail what I’ve tried and my experiences so far on my web pages starting at http://www.huyettm.net/portable-antennas.html. The two rigs I am contemplating are my Yaesu FT817nd and a TenTec R4020. I love the full range of the 817 but wish it didn’t weigh 3 pounds! And in the end I may not take anything, given it is a six day wilderness trip and weight will be a premium. But it is fun to play with the stuff anyway.

Have fun, Michael!

Martin

K0BXB

[...]

Martin, I sold my 817 for three reasons:  weight incl external batt, complicated menues, and small display...it was a great radio in the shack, but not what I was looking for "in the field".  KX-3 looks great but is way $ for my "play radio" budget...that's why I kept looking and found the LNR LD-5...Everyone has favorites but it just depends on what you want/need.

_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM, 'Martin Huyett' huyettmeh@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Doc,

If you are only interested in 40 meters, the best solution is a dipole fed with coax and a push-up telescoping pole to support the center - a couple of test stakes and a bit of mason line will allow you to quickly erect an inverted Vee.

I like center fed antennas because they are less troublesome and have a low impedance feedpoint.

You might ask what happens if you do not have enough horizontal space for the inverted Vee configuration.  My solution is to create a vertical with one radial from the same antenna - use a 32 foot telescoping pole, and connect one end of the antenna to the top of that pole - push it up and string out the single radial (the other half of the dipole) along the ground or bushes as best you can (it can even bend a bit) - it will radiate just fine as a vertical.

The telescoping pole can be anchored to most any convenient vertical support with a couple of bungy cords.

The real solution is the 32 foot telescoping pole.  It can make a very versatile full size antenna for you.  It will be resonant so a tuner will not be required.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/25/2015 8:17 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

John C. Demuth - K8CQA

I have a 32-foot fiberglass pole which collapses to about 3 or 4 ft. total length.  I believe it was marketed by MFJ several years ago.  It has a loop on the top so you can attach a wire; you only need extend it as far as you want for a quarter-wave vertical on any band 10 through 40 meters.  It can be taped or tied to almost anything - fence, deck railing, etc..  It makes for very quick set-up.

72 de John - K8CQA - member #278
K8CQA@...
330-243-6701