Amp

Michael McEwen

After a few days of being a bit under the weather, I'm feeling fine and have resumed "fine tuning" my qrp set-up.

One thing I am considering is giving my Icom 718 to my son and just going with an amp to augment my LD5 when necessary.  I've been running the ICOM at 50W just to compare it with 100W...not much diffference.  So, if I could get a linear that would boost my 5W to around 50, it would suit me just fine.  My new Hexbeam will make up the difference (when I can get it up)...right now I just using low wires and a hamstick dipole.

Suggestions for an amp for qrp?  40/30/20/17/15 CW and SSB needed...

May we all have a good June...and no more flooding for those of us in SW Oklahoma!
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _
Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412

Joshua Gould, K8WXA <jg.k8wxa@...>

The only one that I can think of is the Hardrock 50. Can't recall the mfg right now, but it's a kit and it might do the trick.

72,
Joshua Gould
K8WXA
EM89pn

KX3# 7480
NAQCC # 7704
OMISS # 9948
4SQRP # 990
FP # 3579

This message was sent from an iPhone. Please excuse any typos and the brevity of responses

On May 31, 2015, at 18:37, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Doc,

Take a serious look at the Elecraft KXPA100.  It will work FB with any QRP transceiver.  If you have a KX3, it will integrate quite nicely and you will have a complete 100 watt station.  Add the KXAT100 tuner for a complete solution.

The KXPA100 will autosense frequency, as will the tuner.  5 watts drive will give you 100 watts out.

As I indicated, it can be used with any QRP rig, but if you spring for the KX3 later, you will have a fully integrated 100 watt station.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/31/2015 6:37 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Paul Smith

I was in SE OK for two days and there was plenty of water in the low grounds.
de Paul N0NBD

On May 31, 2015, at 5:37 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Sheldon

Doc,
Don's completely on base with his suggestion for the KXPA100 from Elecraft.  Also, if you happen to go that route, I suggest you buy it as a kit.  You'll save a fair amount of money and the KXPA100 is, in my opinion the easiest of all the Elecraft kits to build.  I use mine with my KX3 and also with a 4SQRP SS-40RX/TX 40 meter transceiver as well.  If your QRP rig has adjustable output power you can set just about any power you want up to a little over 100 watts.  The built in SWR and Wattmeters makes it easy to set whatever you want.

Jim, W0EB

Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2015, at 7:02 PM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Clardy

I remember going by lake Altus-Lugert in 2009 and thinking what a beautiful lake this would be, if it only had water in it. Amazing what the month of May can do.
73 KF5AFN

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:37 PM, "Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles W. Powell

Regarding the amplifier, if you like to build then get the HR-50.  It is a great piece of engineering and works really well.  I recommend the QSK module and the ATU.  If you don’t want to mess with a soldering iron, get the KXPA100 kit or built.  Difference is about $100 between assembled and not assembled. Again, I’m a big fan of the ATU.  The KXPA100 does require a key line to trigger it, whereas the HR-50 with QSK board has RF sensing and it can be operated with no additional interconnects.  I have both of these and they are both fine pieces of equipment.

Chas  NK8O

On May 31, 2015, at 18:54, Chris Clardy chrs_clardy@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Wayne Dillon

Hi Doc,
Well I finally located a plug that would accommodate the Heil adapter I canalized  to get you you up and running with your Heil headset, should be in the mail to you this week.
Vy 72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you