possible hill top operation

Paul Smith

This last weekend we moved our youngest son and family to Poteau OK. I assumed it would be flat and sandy. I found sandy ground with a mountain sticking out of it. Cavanal Hill is part of Poteau and is advertised as the world hight hill at 1999 ft. It is really 2385 ft to the summit. I have to haul another load down in a few weeks. I will try to operate from the summit . There is a park with picnic tables. I think it would be a blast….. IF it works here is a picture.

On second thought it is small compared to the Goatmans habitat. To a flatlander like me, it is TALL

de Paul N0NBD

Paul Smith

Will do. I have had marginal luck operating portable for ten years or so. I think this should increase my odds hi

de Paul N0NBD

On Jun 1, 2015, at 9:20 AM, KB4QQJ@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Looks like a great sight! Clear view of the horizon is more important than altitude, and it looks to have a very clear 360° view. Keep us posted....Let us know your call sign too so we know who to listen/call for.

73 for now,
Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 6/1/2015 9:30:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 4sqrp@... writes:

This last weekend we moved our youngest son and family to Poteau OK. I assumed it would be flat and sandy. I found sandy ground with a mountain sticking out of it. Cavanal Hill is part of Poteau and is advertised as the world hight hill at 1999 ft. It is really 2385 ft to the summit. I have to haul another load down in a few weeks. I will try to operate from the summit . There is a park with picnic tables. I think it would be a blast….. IF it works here is a picture.

On second thought it is small compared to the Goatmans habitat. To a flatlander like me, it is TALL

de Paul N0NBD

WA0ITP

Forgot to ask earlier, is it a SOTA peak?
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
wa0itp@...
On 6/1/2015 10:29 AM, Paul Smith psmith61@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

No virus found in this message.

random.path

Hi Paul -

A number of us have operated HF Qrp from Cavanal over the past few years, particularly doing SOTA activations. There is a variable amount of RFI from the extensive antenna farm and associated support hardware on the hill - sometimes bad, other times not so bad.

Still, we've made many QSOs from there.

For more of a challenge, check out Sugarloaf Mountain nearby. Its quite a hike.

Anyway, learn more about SOTA at http://www.sota.org.uk/
and
http://www.sotawatch.org/alerts.php

You can find a number of peaks with access info in SE OK and SW AR at these websites.

Chip
Ae5ka