Elecraft afficionados, talk to me!

Jeremy Utley

Hey everyone!

As I mentioned in this month's Banner, WA6CML has finally agreed to
let me take the plunge and pick up the KX3+KXPA100 I've been dreaming
of getting since my first Ozarkcon (getting to go hands on with Jim's
KX3 was a big seller!). However, since I'm just starting to dive into
the Elecraft world, I'm wanting some suggestions on some stuff from
those of you who have been using the rig. So, a few questions!

First off, microphones - I have ordered the hand-mike, but I also have
a couple of Heil microphones - a GM-5 desk microphone and ProSet Elite
headset that I use when I'm contesting. I am terrible at making
adapter cables (would much prefer to buy something pre-made in this
regard), and Heil does not make cables for the KX-3 - so does anyone
know of somewhere I could get an adapter to use these with the KX-3?

Second, what third-party accessories would those of you with KX3's
recommend? I'm already planning on the SideKX cover from AK6Q, and
probably the Pro Audio Engineering heatsink. Anything else you guys
think is essential?

Jeremy, NQ0M
in Beautiful Downtown Iola, KS

Johnny AC0BQ

Jeremy
Be sure and add optional filters, you won't be sorry!
Johnny AC0BQ

--
QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72

Charlie Vest

Hey Jeremy,

I have every option with my KX3. I don't have the KXPA100, since the KX3 is my QRP rig.

In my particular use of the KX3 the roofing filter is a great addition to the radio. Also the ATU is absolutely amazing.

ENJOY !!

Charlie, W5COV

On 6/5/2015 12:24 PM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Avast logo

cornhusker

I agree...the ATU and the filter is a must...see my articles in May and June CQ.  I also just added 2M.
DE K0NEB

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date:Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM
Subject:Re: [4sqrp] Elecraft afficionados, talk to me!

[...]

Charles W. Powell

I couldn’t live without the autotuners - both in the KX3 and KXPA100.  As mentioned below, get the filters.  Battery charger enables to the clock, and it’s nice to have a while longer to operate even if you main battery or PS goes dead.  The PX3 is GREAT for home or in the field.  I carry mine even when I travel.

Chas NK8O

On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:18, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks all!  My order from Elecraft is the following:

Factory-Assembled and Tested KX3
KX3-PCKT Accessory Cable Set
KXAT3 Auto-Tuner
KXFL3 Roofing Filter
KXPA100 Amplifier Factory-Assembled and Tested
KXPACBL Amp-to-KX3 Cable
MH3 Hand Mic

I disregarded the auto-tuner for the amp because I already have a pretty good LDG external auto-tuner that I like well.  Also didn't bother with the charger/clock as the only real portable work I plan to be doing is either Field Day (where I'll have generators) or when I'm camping at the lake (where I can either use AC in the campground, or my 4 17Ah batteries).  I figure if I find a need for either option, I can always add it in later.  Don't figure I need the panadapter, as I can use the SDR functionality with either my laptop or desktop to substitute for that.

Mostly I'm looking for what third-party accessories people are using - I really like the SideKX endplates and Lexan cover to give it some protection (also plan to get a nice Pelican case to transport it in).  The heatsink's are looking good too, as I am somewhat a fan of doing digital modes.  Also would like to either be able to use my existing Heil gear (if it will work, and from some of the reading I'm doing, it may not), or other good quality headset and desk microphone (I really dislike using a hand mic for base station use).

Jeremy

From:"'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date:Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM

[...]

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Jeremy,

You might want to consider getting a Yamaha CM500 headset instead of using your Heil.  It is quite comfortable to wear and has a good hot electret type microphone.  To use it directly with the KX3, turn both MIC BIAS and MIC BTN off in the menu (do the same for any other computer type microphones.  Yes, the electret element does need bias, but the residual voltage on the mic button circuit in the KX3 powers that mic quite nicely through the ring contact.
You can use the PTT available in the ACC2 jack or just use the XMIT button to toggle TX/RX.

You can find that headset at Pro Audio shops such as B&H Photo and Sweetwater Sound.  It is usually priced in the $60 range.

If you use a microphone with a mono plug, you will have to set MIC BTN off in the menu to prevent the jack shell from activating PTT whenever the plug is inserted.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/5/2015 5:39 PM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] wrote:

  Also would like to either be able to use my existing Heil gear (if it will work, and from some of the reading I'm doing, it may not), or other good quality headset and desk microphone (I really dislike using a hand mic for base station use).

John Lonigro

Was this email intended to make the rest of us drool?  If so, it worked.  Looking forward to hearing you on the Second Sunday Sprint, coming up in a little more than a week (It's late this month).

72,

John AA0VE

From:"'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date:Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM

[...]

Wayne Dillon

Jeremy,
IMHO the sidekix plates and cover are a "must have" they are beautifully made (also made here in the USA!), the heatsink, I got one for my KX3 and it's great but I really don't do much else other than CW at 5 watts or less so on my KX3 it's just eye candy :)
Enjoy and I hope to see you at the Brutus Bash in September.
Vy 72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

From:"'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date:Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
CW Ragchewers Anonymous #40
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

John Leonardelli <ve3ips@...>

Ditto

Pimp out the kx3 with made in the usa side plates, cover and heatsink

Hwvr, rtc board and atu are a must

Add the Pignology wifi interface and Hamlog app
John ve3ips