New kits


keith ford
 

How about a pto?

Keith kf4tap

Sent from my iPad


Mike WA8BXN
 

I would like to see a simple superhet transceiver that would be an updated (uses available parts) rig something like the small wonder labs SW series of rigs. This could then be used as the basis of an updated Elmer 101 course. There are quite a few direct conversion rigs but currently I don't think anyone makes a simple one band superhet kit. It would not have to be trail friendly or state of the art but rather learning/experimenting friendly. Could be VFO or VXO. Chat with the designers may be having a limited run of the SW-30+ for their discussions but it would be very nice to have permanently available similar superhet transceiver kit. I would be glad to help in its design or testing. 

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN



Gary KF7WNS
 

I would enjoy building a xcvr for 160M and maybe spur more QRP activity there... OR...maybe 17M

72, Gary/KF7WNS

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 2:40 PM, hubby2k@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
 

I would like to see a simple superhet transceiver that would be an updated (uses available parts) rig something like the small wonder labs SW series of rigs. This could then be used as the basis of an updated Elmer 101 course. There are quite a few direct conversion rigs but currently I don't think anyone makes a simple one band superhet kit. It would not have to be trail friendly or state of the art but rather learning/experimenting friendly. Could be VFO or VXO. Chat with the designers may be having a limited run of the SW-30+ for their discussions but it would be very nice to have permanently available similar superhet transceiver kit. I would be glad to help in its design or testing. 


73/72 - Mike WA8BXN




ron mcmurray
 

i like curts idea of a simple vxo base platform transceiver.
ron, kc0tdj


w2sh@...
 

Gary,

Give serious thought to getting the Elecraft K-1 kit with a two band module for 80 and 40 meters.  Put aside the components for building the 40m module and substitute the routine parts to make the rig work on 160m (in addition to 80m). 

Don, W3FPR, is pretty much a father confessor to almost everything Elecraft makes.  I'm fairly sure he's the one who worked out how to put the K-1 on 160m and he tells you what parts you need and what to do with them.

I haven't asked Mr. Google "Elecraft K-1 for 160m" or something like that.  You'd probably get some hits there and it may well be that W3FPR will be one of them.

K9JWV, Jim, frequently appears on this list and he is into 160m with QRP.

Oh, and it's important for you to join the main list for 160m (another one is "towertalk") and that is: 
topband@....  Those guys are almost all knocking themselves out to work the newest piece of 160m DX with 1,500 Watts (or more), but there are quite a few worthwhile posts that appear fairly often.  And by all means visit the very pregnant site of W8JI, who is a high priest for anything antennas and also very keen on 160m.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

P.S.  For me a high point was getting a 559 on 160m from Israel in March 2011.



To: 4sqrp@...; hubby2k@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 15:14:00 -0700
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Re: New kits

 

I would enjoy building a xcvr for 160M and maybe spur more QRP activity there... OR...maybe 17M

72, Gary/KF7WNS

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 2:40 PM, hubby2k@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
 
I would like to see a simple superhet transceiver that would be an updated (uses available parts) rig something like the small wonder labs SW series of rigs. This could then be used as the basis of an updated Elmer 101 course. There are quite a few direct conversion rigs but currently I don't think anyone makes a simple one band superhet kit. It would not have to be trail friendly or state of the art but rather learning/experimenting friendly. Could be VFO or VXO. Chat with the designers may be having a limited run of the SW-30+ for their discussions but it would be very nice to have permanently available similar superhet transceiver kit. I would be glad to help in its design or testing. 

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN






Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>
 

Charles,

I do not mind sharing my instructions for putting the K1 on 160 meters. The information is below.
I can send it as a text file for anyone who needs more than the in-line information.

73,
Don W3FPR

Not quite a full "Elecraft" 160m & 80m board, but you can do it this way -
order a 2 band board for 80m and any other band, PLUS, order the
following
components (Elecraft has them all except the crystal) - here are the
instructions for how I did it: --
maybe you can make a deal with someone at Elecraft to ship a ''1 band
board
and the other needed parts"

I ordered the following from Elecraft:

Capacitors:
2 - E530002 1500 pf capacitor
3 - E530003 2700 pf capacitor
2 - E530005 1200 pf capacitor
2 - E530035 1800 pf capacitor
2 - E530052 560 pf capacitor
2 - E530053 680 pf capacitor
1 - E530058 12 pf capacitor

Inductors:
1 - E690007 33 uh inductor
2 - E690001 4.7 uh variable inductor (wide tuning slot)

Toroid cores:
2 - E680001 T44-1 or T50-1 toroid cores (blue color)

I also ordered a 9.800 mHz crystal (HC-49 case 20 pf load
capacitance) from
International Crystal Manufacturing www.icmfg.com.

If you are planning to use the K1 ATU with this board, you should
also order
the P1 (3 pin) and P2 (10 pin - 5 x 2) headers from Elecraft.

The parts from Elecraft (without the headers) were less than $15 and the
crystal was priced at $17.95 - not an unreasonable price IMHO.

I assembled the 2 band board with the 80 meter components in the band 2
locations as indicated in the instructions - except for L5 and L6
were left
empty at this time.

Next, the low- pass toroids were wound with 21 turns (20 inches of
wire) on
the T50-1 (blue) cores, and soldered into the L9 and L10 positions.

The 4.7 uH variable inductors were soldered in the positions for L5
and L6.
On the bottom of the board, 1200 pf capacitors were soldered across
L5 and
L6 (the outer pins on the side of the can with 3 pins).

The 33 uH inductor goes into the position marked for C13. Form the leads
under the inductor body so that the leads fit into the holes - my
inductor
is parallel with the board and tucked between the bandpass filter cans.

Mount the 9.8 mHz crystal at the X1 position and solder the grounding
wire
to the side of the can (or top if you prefer).

The remaining capacitors are fitted into the following positions:
C1 & C5 - 680 pf
C2 & C4 - 2700 pf
C3 - 12 pf

C11 & C15 - 1800 pf
C12 & C14 - 560 pf
C21 & C23 - 1500 pf
C22 - 2700 pf

You should now have all the holes filled, and can proceed to align the 2
band board following the instructions in the K1 manual. Mine came up
with
no trouble at all.

73,
Don W3FPR


Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>
 

Several 'ideas' and comments --
If the goal is for a good, simple, single band VXO or VFO controlled transceiver (or just a receiver by leaving the TX components out), the SWL series transceivers are a good basis for the design.  The old Manhatten 101 project is exactly that.

For something a little more exotic, put in a variable bandpass IF filter as is done in the Elecraft K1.

If the desire is to expand to a multiband transceiver, a design based on the architecture of the Elecraft K1 would be my choice.

The Elecraft K1 basic design is an easy 2 - SA612 mixer design at its basic form.  The "magic" is in the use of a fixed range VFO mixed with a crystal oscillator to produce the local oscillator frequency - that makes it multiband capable.

Yes, a real K1 has a microprocessor that will do a lot of things, like the LCD display, internal keyer, sidetone generation, power level control and other niceties, but those things can be sacrificed for a more simple design - the basic RF section is not that complex.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/6/2015 7:19 PM, hamshack@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

i like curts idea of a simple vxo base platform transceiver.
ron, kc0tdj




Mike WA8BXN
 

Don ---
I agree with your thoughts. I would like to perhaps see a mother board approach to the rig. A set of basic modules: 
audio amplifier
crystal filter
product detector
receive mixer
receive input bandpass filter
master VFO/VXO
transmit mixer
transmit driver stages
transmit final amplifier
transmit low  pass filter
etc
that plug into a mother board for inter connect. Add to that prototype boards that would be used to replace various modules with other implementations for experimentation. Maybe provisions on the mother board to add an Arduino to control a DDS replacement for the VFO, a display, keyer etc.

Basic package would be simple modules to get a working radio. In some ways this would be a modular kit something a bit like the Tentec Rebel. Maybe even have provision on the mother board for a balanced modulator/filter for SSB generation some time in the future. Perhaps a partial chassis for the rig could have a front panel big enough for several knobs for various controls and a display. 

Maybe a place on the mother board to plug in a tuner module. The whole package would not be super small but rather large enough to be able to easily work on (and build). 

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN


Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>
 

That could certainly be done.  Diz has some of the boards and kits available to do some of those functions.  See http://www.partsandkits.com/rftoolkits.php.
There is no "motherboard', you have to wire them together.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/7/2015 9:04 AM, hubby2k@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

Don ---

I agree with your thoughts. I would like to perhaps see a mother board approach to the rig. A set of basic modules: 
audio amplifier
crystal filter
product detector
receive mixer
receive input bandpass filter
master VFO/VXO
transmit mixer
transmit driver stages
transmit final amplifier
transmit low  pass filter
etc
that plug into a mother board for inter connect. Add to that prototype boards that would be used to replace various modules with other implementations for experimentation. Maybe provisions on the mother board to add an Arduino to control a DDS replacement for the VFO, a display, keyer etc.

Basic package would be simple modules to get a working radio. In some ways this would be a modular kit something a bit like the Tentec Rebel. Maybe even have provision on the mother board for a balanced modulator/filter for SSB generation some time in the future. Perhaps a partial chassis for the rig could have a front panel big enough for several knobs for various controls and a display. 

Maybe a place on the mother board to plug in a tuner module. The whole package would not be super small but rather large enough to be able to easily work on (and build). 




Gary KF7WNS
 

We already have the Dream Boards.  Some projects to learn how to use them would be great.

Gary / KF7WNS

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 6:28 AM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
 

That could certainly be done.  Diz has some of the boards and kits available to do some of those functions.  See http://www.partsandkits.com/rftoolkits.php.
There is no "motherboard', you have to wire them together.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/7/2015 9:04 AM, hubby2k@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

Don ---

I agree with your thoughts. I would like to perhaps see a mother board approach to the rig. A set of basic modules: 
audio amplifier
crystal filter
product detector
receive mixer
receive input bandpass filter
master VFO/VXO
transmit mixer
transmit driver stages
transmit final amplifier
transmit low  pass filter
etc
that plug into a mother board for inter connect. Add to that prototype boards that would be used to replace various modules with other implementations for experimentation. Maybe provisions on the mother board to add an Arduino to control a DDS replacement for the VFO, a display, keyer etc.

Basic package would be simple modules to get a working radio. In some ways this would be a modular kit something a bit like the Tentec Rebel. Maybe even have provision on the mother board for a balanced modulator/filter for SSB generation some time in the future. Perhaps a partial chassis for the rig could have a front panel big enough for several knobs for various controls and a display. 

Maybe a place on the mother board to plug in a tuner module. The whole package would not be super small but rather large enough to be able to easily work on (and build). 





Mike WA8BXN
 

Diz has *some* left, others discontinued and perhaps others will be as current supply runs out. The dream boards are interesting but I wonder how well they have been selling. Without parts they would be for more advanced experimenters. I think a set of boards with parts that give a complete working basic radio would interest more builders. 

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN


w2sh@...
 

Thank you Don,

for this.  When you have a moment would you kindly send me the text file.

Please understand that I'm not planning to "shop" your creation.  It's strictly for my personal use.  A few years ago I purchased a completed 160m board from another ham.  Now I'd like to do one myself.

Advance tnx es 72,

Charles, W2SH  


> To: 4sqrp@...; w2sh@...
> From: 4sqrp@...
> Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 00:49:02 -0400
> Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Re: New kits
>
> Charles,
>
> I do not mind sharing my instructions for putting the K1 on 160 meters.
> The information is below.
> I can send it as a text file for anyone who needs more than the in-line
> information.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Not quite a full "Elecraft" 160m & 80m board, but you can do it this way -
> > order a 2 band board for 80m and any other band, PLUS, order the
> following
> > components (Elecraft has them all except the crystal) - here are the
> > instructions for how I did it: --
> > maybe you can make a deal with someone at Elecraft to ship a ''1 band
> board
> > and the other needed parts"
> >
> > I ordered the following from Elecraft:
> >
> > Capacitors:
> > 2 - E530002 1500 pf capacitor
> > 3 - E530003 2700 pf capacitor
> > 2 - E530005 1200 pf capacitor
> > 2 - E530035 1800 pf capacitor
> > 2 - E530052 560 pf capacitor
> > 2 - E530053 680 pf capacitor
> > 1 - E530058 12 pf capacitor
> >
> > Inductors:
> > 1 - E690007 33 uh inductor
> > 2 - E690001 4.7 uh variable inductor (wide tuning slot)
> >
> > Toroid cores:
> > 2 - E680001 T44-1 or T50-1 toroid cores (blue color)
> >
> > I also ordered a 9.800 mHz crystal (HC-49 case 20 pf load
> capacitance) from
> > International Crystal Manufacturing www.icmfg.com.
> >
> > If you are planning to use the K1 ATU with this board, you should
> also order
> > the P1 (3 pin) and P2 (10 pin - 5 x 2) headers from Elecraft.
> >
> > The parts from Elecraft (without the headers) were less than $15 and the
> > crystal was priced at $17.95 - not an unreasonable price IMHO.
> >
> > I assembled the 2 band board with the 80 meter components in the band 2
> > locations as indicated in the instructions - except for L5 and L6
> were left
> > empty at this time.
> >
> > Next, the low- pass toroids were wound with 21 turns (20 inches of
> wire) on
> > the T50-1 (blue) cores, and soldered into the L9 and L10 positions.
> >
> > The 4.7 uH variable inductors were soldered in the positions for L5
> and L6.
> > On the bottom of the board, 1200 pf capacitors were soldered across
> L5 and
> > L6 (the outer pins on the side of the can with 3 pins).
> >
> > The 33 uH inductor goes into the position marked for C13. Form the leads
> > under the inductor body so that the leads fit into the holes - my
> inductor
> > is parallel with the board and tucked between the bandpass filter cans.
> >
> > Mount the 9.8 mHz crystal at the X1 position and solder the grounding
> wire
> > to the side of the can (or top if you prefer).
> >
> > The remaining capacitors are fitted into the following positions:
> > C1 & C5 - 680 pf
> > C2 & C4 - 2700 pf
> > C3 - 12 pf
> >
> > C11 & C15 - 1800 pf
> > C12 & C14 - 560 pf
> > C21 & C23 - 1500 pf
> > C22 - 2700 pf
> >
> > You should now have all the holes filled, and can proceed to align the 2
> > band board following the instructions in the K1 manual. Mine came up
> with
> > no trouble at all.
> >
> > 73,
> > Don W3FPR
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
> Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
> View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4sqrp/
>
> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4sqrp/join
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> 4sqrp-digest@...
> 4sqrp-fullfeatured@...
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> 4sqrp-unsubscribe@...
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
> https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/
>