A simple 60 meter CW transmitter -- Maybe NOT

Chuck Carpenter

The requirements for operation on 60 meters are not so simple.

The transmitter would need to be SSB (upper only) including specific capabilities.

You can read about them here... http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq

And more specifically the Recommended Practices link found on that page.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

James Rodenkirch

Ummmmmmmmmmm------- one can operate cw on 60 meters and not SSB, Chuck...

To: 4sqrp@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:59:11 -0500
Subject: [4sqrp] A simple 60 meter CW transmitter -- Maybe NOT

The requirements for operation on 60 meters are not so simple.

The transmitter would need to be SSB (upper only) including specific
capabilities.

You can read about them here... http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq

And more specifically the Recommended Practices link found on that page.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

---

Chuck Carpenter

Jim,

Here's a technical description of CW on 60 from Recommended Practices...

At 01:04 PM 6/10/2015, you wrote:
Ummmmmmmmmmm------- one can operate cw on 60 meters and not SSB, Chuck.
-----
As updated 5 March 2012, Sounds like SSB to me??

CW Operation
CW operation must take place at the center of
your chosen channel. This means that your
transmitting frequency must be 1.5 kHz above the
suppressed carrier frequency as specified in the
Report and Order (see Table 1).
The channel center frequencies are …
Channel 1: 5332.0 kHz
Channel 2: 5348.0 kHz
Channel 3: 5358.5 kHz
Channel 4: 5373.0 kHz
Channel 5: 5405.0 kHz
Consult your transceiver manual. Some
transceivers transmit CW at the exact frequencies
shown on their displays, but others offset the
actual transmission frequency by a certain amount
(for example, 600 Hz). If your manual is not
clear on this point, contact the manufacturer. If
you have access to a frequency counter, this is
an excellent tool for ensuring that your CW
signal is on the channel center frequency.

---

Not finding anything that you can transmit directly on the carrier frequecy...

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Rick Bennett

I haven't posted anything here for a long time.  Here is the exact text from the latest FCC Part 97:

"(h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only on the five center frequencies specified in the table below. In order to meet this requirement, control operators of stations transmitting phone, data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators 2K80J3E, 2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency as specified in the table below. For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A), the carrier frequency is set to the center frequency. Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions do not occupy more than 2.8 kHz centered on each of these center frequencies."

CW is a permitted mode since 2012 as is USB phone, and "certain digital modes".

By the way 60m is a great NVIS band for those interested in that type of operation

de KC0PET, Rick

The requirements for operation on 60 meters are not so simple.

The transmitter would need to be SSB (upper only) including specific
capabilities.

You can read about them here... http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq

And more specifically the Recommended Practices link found on that page.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

---

James Rodenkirch

Doesn't all of that mean your CW signal must be dead on the center channel frequency?

I.E., is your transmitter doesn't have an off-set, set it on the center frequency...if your transmitter has an off-set, adjust your xmtr's window frequency accordingly....sound like CW to me, Chuck....Emoji

> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 13:23:21 -0500
> To: 4sqrp@...; rodenkirch_llc@...
> From: w5usj@...
> Subject: RE: [4sqrp] A simple 60 meter CW transmitter -- Maybe NOT
>
> Jim,
>
> Here's a technical description of CW on 60 from Recommended Practices...
>
> At 01:04 PM 6/10/2015, you wrote:
> >Ummmmmmmmmmm------- one can operate cw on 60 meters and not SSB, Chuck.
>
> -----
> As updated 5 March 2012, Sounds like SSB to me??
>
> CW Operation
> CW operation must take place at the center of
> your chosen channel. This means that your
> transmitting frequency must be 1.5 kHz above the
> suppressed carrier frequency as specified in the
> Report and Order (see Table 1).
> The channel center frequencies are …
> Channel 1: 5332.0 kHz
> Channel 2: 5348.0 kHz
> Channel 3: 5358.5 kHz
> Channel 4: 5373.0 kHz
> Channel 5: 5405.0 kHz
> Consult your transceiver manual. Some
> transceivers transmit CW at the exact frequencies
> shown on their displays, but others offset the
> actual transmission frequency by a certain amount
> (for example, 600 Hz). If your manual is not
> clear on this point, contact the manufacturer. If
> you have access to a frequency counter, this is
> an excellent tool for ensuring that your CW
> signal is on the channel center frequency.
>
> ---
>
> Not finding anything that you can transmit directly on the carrier frequecy...
>

> Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
> EM22cv, Rains Co. TX
>

> ---

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jim...
....Chuck,

The TX doesn't have to have SSB capability at all but does have to have the SSB or CW carrier on a specific frequency +/- the mandated tolerances (not too difficult). Some hams complained that would give them a 1500 Hz CW tone, but that really is subject to how you choose to receive it. You may use a one tube blooper (receiver) if you so choose along with whatever RX tone you like.

I am laying one out to use temp compensated xtal oscillator modules (that I already have). It will include a USB and a CW xtal plus one heterodyne xtal for each channel (seven TCXO modules). And by the way it will only be the transmitter. The transmitter channel frequencies are specified. And the receiver is not regulated at all.

73,

Bill KU8H

To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:59:11 -0500

The requirements for operation on 60 meters are not so simple.

The transmitter would need to be SSB (upper only) including specific
capabilities.

You can read about them here... http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq

And more specifically the Recommended Practices link found on that page.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

---

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Chuck,

That is CW to me.� The transmit carrier is to be placed *at* that listed center frequency.� Are you being confused by the "1.5 kHz above the
suppressed carrier frequency as specified in the Report and Order".� Yes, the Report and Order specifies the low edge of the band, which is the correct suppressed carrier frequency for an Upper Sideband signal.

The confusion comes from how some transceivers display the frequency in CW.� Many indicate the carrier frequency and should be set to the channel center frequency.
Other transceivers display the transmit carrier frequency plus or minus the sidetone pitch.� For those, you must compensate.

I know for certain that Elecraft transceivers display the transmit carrier frequency and automatically offset the receive by the amount of the sidetone pitch so you can hear a CW signal on the frequency indicated on the dial.

In other words, you have to know how your transceiver handles the displayed frequency in CW - the transmit frequency or offset by the sidetone pitch.� A study of the owner's manual should tell you which it is.

73,
Don W3FPR

�