Topics

Ozark Patrol

Bob Reisenweber <w3bbo1@...>

When the latest batch was announced, I immediately sent in my order and received the kit last week. Sunday, I put everything together and to my disappointment, no signals. This is the first kit that hasn't worked for me from the get-go. (Built the K2, Sierra, SST, OHR-100 and others) I've checked everything twice, both component ID and location. The headphones seem better than the speaker...lots of hiss, but no signals.

I've made three different "gimmick capacitors" and even tried using my Elecraft XG-1 signal generator to insert a signal at 7.040 to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions welcomed. With the regen control fully counter-clockwise, the Q1 collector (can) is at 0 Volts. Increasing the regen pot shows voltage. The more clockwise you turn the control, the more the voltage increases. Something is screwed up.

Thanks,

73 de Bob W3BBO

Curt

Bob

as you know its often something simple, non obvious.  look over things carefully to make sure nothing is making contact with something else.  zero volts on collector of Q1 sounds fishy.  also check the orientation of things -- I am remembering backwards caps and also check the transistor orientation.  after letting it sit for a day or two, possibly you will see the fault.  even the designer can't fathom everything that I or you could misplace.  when its working, its an impressive sound when tuned in.  remember also this thing requires 3 hands to tune.

73 Curt

ai9e_qrp@...

Bob, check to be sure that you have continuity through the toroid winding.  It can be a challenge to get the insulation stripped on the enamel wire.

73 Dave NM0S

Bill Cromwell

Hi Bob,

I don't have an Ozark Patrol but I do have some regens. Does the Ozark radio have a tickler coil or a tapped coil for the feedback? If the connections or winding sense of one winding or part of one winding is 'reversed' you will have degenerative feedback instead of regenerative feedback. Your symptoms sound like exactly that.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 07/13/2015 08:11 PM, Bob Reisenweber w3bbo1@msn.com [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

w3bbo1@...

Thanks to everyone who have commented and/or made suggestions.  Still no success with the regen and I think I'll follow Curt WB8YYY advice to set it on the shelf for a few days.  This morning, I did continuity checks, even removed the toroid to count turns and check the "sense" of the winding.  I'll let it rest for a couple days, then take another shot at it.

73 de Bob W3BBO

w3bbo1@...

I couldn't leave my Ozark Patrol on the shelf...it kept calling me!  It bothered me that when the regen control was turned fully counter-clockwise, there would be no voltage at the collector of Q1.  I started off by re-heating every connection with the iron.  Still zero volts at Q1.

Looking closer at the regen pot (R4), its tabs look like they could be better positioned on the solder tabs.  I remove C13 and unsolder the pot.  Re-aligned the tabs into proper position and re-soldered everything.  Turning the power back on to the unit I have a couple volts at Q1 with the R4 pot fully counter-clockwise.

I hook up the antenna and ground connections and...hey, I got signals!

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  Thanks to 4sqrp for making the kit available.  I don't think it will replace my K2, but should be fun to play with!

73 de Bob W3BBO