2M HT

Michael McEwen

This might provoke some laughs, but I'm serious.  I'm thinking about getting a 2M HT for a goes anywhere" bag. I want someting small, rugged and high signal quality.  I have had various  Icom and Yaesu units (and still have my first radio - Yaesu FT 416...still works, but it's time to get a new toy since I have managed to get my HF stuff together.  I haven't bought an HT in years.

 I don't care if the HT has digital modes. I don't need menus out the wazu....Just quality, simple 2M HT.  This just going to be a radio I take everywhere I can for operating whenever I have some spare time.  I do  good bit of outdoor activity and have learned how much fun this can be.  I once hit an OK panhandle repeater with my little Yaesu (from the top of Pike's Peak).

I'm now putting together a  minimalist  2M in a bag set up and have a nice padded bag, an auxillary
Li-ion power pack a solar charger on the way several ultralight antennas.

I think this will be another good way to get new poeple interrested in our as well has providin me another fun activity.
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL - LFSARC (Lawton/Fort Sill Amateur Radio Club)
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886 - Flying Pigs #3587

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412

Wayne Dillon

Hi Doc,
My vote would be for an FT60, yeah I know it's dual band but it's a rugged little unit, I have had mine a coupe of years now and although I don't do 2m that often it's nice to use when Mrs KC0PMH is in someplace like the goodwill and I'm out in the car park (parking lot?). yes it generates interest in Ham Radio which is all to the good. I can e-mail you the manual if that'll better explain the beast.
Vy 72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
CW Ragchewers Anonymous #40
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686

David Wilcox K8WPE

Doc,

Get an old Icom 02AT  or the like.  I have 3 more modern radios but when push comes to shove I can program the old girl from memory or at least figure it out after a few tries.  The other ones I need the manual (Nifty manual is easiest) and the Chinese ones need a computer and cable to program.  An old Radio Shack HT is similar.

Dave K8WPE

On Jul 17, 2015, at 3:11 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

John Stevens (K5JS)

I'd concur with Wayne on the FT-60R. Saw one at Gigaparts for $65, but the price at most places is $150 up. Several friends have them.

I like my Kenwood TH-6F, but it is considerably more capable at a corresponding price...

73 john k5js

[...]

Bill Cromwell

I have an Icom 2AT and it's even easier to "program". Turn the thumbwheel switches until they show the frequency you want and you're there. I have one of the Baofeng gizmos. I *can* program it without a computer and cable but for field use thats really useless. By the time you get there you don't need to be there any more <evil grin>.

On 07/17/2015 03:25 PM, Dave djwilcox01@yahoo.com [4sqrp] wrote:
Doc,

Get an old Icom 02AT or the like. I have 3 more modern radios but when push comes to shove I can program the old girl from memory or at least figure it out after a few tries. The other ones I need the manual (Nifty manual is easiest) and the Chinese ones need a computer and cable to program. An old Radio Shack HT is similar.

Dave K8WPE

Jeremy Utley

The FT-60 is a great radio, I have a couple of em here.  But I have to say that getting one of the Baofeng UV-5R radios for $30 from Amazon is probably better.  At this price point, they are truly a disposable radio!  I have 4 or 5 of em, and I don't mind loaning them out when it's necessary.  Yes, programming them by hand is a pain, but very easy to do with the computer - and well, with over 100 memory channels in them, you could probably program every single repeater in your area, all the simplex frequencies, and STILL have room to spare!  All my radios are programmed with the same template, and literally have every repeater in SEKS, plus a few in other areas.  I've even done programming for others on these (did a few last year at Brutus for people).  The CHIRP open-source software makes it REALLY easy, and works with a number of different radios (I program my FT-7800, V-71A, VX-8GR, FT-817, as well as my Baofeng and Wouxun HT's all from this single piece of software - I don't have cables yet for my FT-60's).  Just my 2 cents worth!

Jeremy, NQ0M

On 07/17/2015 03:25 PM, Dave djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] wrote:
> Doc,
>
> Get an old Icom 02AT or the like. I have 3 more modern radios but
> when push comes to shove I can program the old girl from memory or at
> least figure it out after a few tries. The other ones I need the
> manual (Nifty manual is easiest) and the Chinese ones need a computer
> and cable to program. An old Radio Shack HT is similar.
>
> Dave K8WPE

Donald Sanders

I still use my IC 2ATs I bought when they first came out, circa 1981?.
I have the AA alkaline holders and have rebuilt several "dead" battery packs.
I like the BP-8.
I also have a ATI 600 dual bander I bought at Dayton 1997.
Those radios are simple to use and just keep-on-ticken.

But if your new I-phone needs company, I guess the Baofeng
is the way to go without losing sleep or making up a story for the XYL.

Dr. Don HC4/W4BWS

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

The FT-60 is a great radio, I have a couple of em here.  But I have to say that getting one of the Baofeng UV-5R radios for $30 from Amazon is probably better.  At this price point, they are truly a disposable radio!  I have 4 or 5 of em, and I don't mind loaning them out when it's necessary.  Yes, programming them by hand is a pain, but very easy to do with the computer - and well, with over 100 memory channels in them, you could probably program every single repeater in your area, all the simplex frequencies, and STILL have room to spare!  All my radios are programmed with the same template, and literally have every repeater in SEKS, plus a few in other areas.  I've even done programming for others on these (did a few last year at Brutus for people).  The CHIRP open-source software makes it REALLY easy, and works with a number of different radios (I program my FT-7800, V-71A, VX-8GR, FT-817, as well as my Baofeng and Wouxun HT's all from this single piece of software - I don't have cables yet for my FT-60's).  Just my 2 cents worth!

Jeremy, NQ0M

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Bill Cromwell wrcromwell@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I have an Icom 2AT and it's even easier to "program". Turn the
thumbwheel switches until they show the frequency you want and you're
there. I have one of the Baofeng gizmos. I *can* program it without a
computer and cable but for field use thats really useless. By the time
you get there you don't need to be there any more .

On 07/17/2015 03:25 PM, Dave djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] wrote:
> Doc,
>
> Get an old Icom 02AT or the like. I have 3 more modern radios but
> when push comes to shove I can program the old girl from memory or at
> least figure it out after a few tries. The other ones I need the
> manual (Nifty manual is easiest) and the Chinese ones need a computer
> and cable to program. An old Radio Shack HT is similar.
>
> Dave K8WPE

Todd K7TFC

​On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:  ​
The FT-60 is a great radio, I have a couple of em here.  But I have to say that getting one of the Baofeng UV-5R radios for $30 from Amazon is probably better.  At this price point, they are truly a disposable radio!  I have 4 or 5 of em, and I don't mind loaning them out when it's necessary.  Yes, programming them by hand is a pain, but very easy to do with the computer - and well, with over 100 memory channels in them, you could probably program every single repeater in your area, all the simplex frequencies, and STILL have room to spare!

I agree with NQ0M. A little card in your wallet is all the reference you need to field program a repeater on a Baofeng (and unless you program them frequently, you need a manual/reference card when you hand program *any* HT--unless you have a much better memory for arcane keystrokes that I do), but as Jeremy said there's plenty of memory in the UV-5R. You could program every repeater in a multi-state area using CHIRP and still have plenty of memory.

Without regard to brand, consider a dual-band model in any case since they're more versatile and you can use them for satellites, too.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-
7
 (P
​D
T)

Tim N9PUZ

I'll second the suggestion for a Baofeng UV-5R. My FT-60 recently had the battery go out and before Woody WD9F gave me a battery he still had I bough a UV-5R, high capacity battery, higher gain Nagoya antenna, and speaker microphone for around $50 delivered. I've had it about a month now and it's an amazing radio even if it were 3X the price. Over the air audio reports are good. The standard battery lasts for a couple of days with 9-10 hours a day RX and about 20-30 minutes TX. The high capacity battery, a whopping $11, will run the radio at the above typical usage for 4-5 days.

Best part? If the radio breaks you replace it for less than $30.

Tim N9PUZ

On 7/17/2015 2:11 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:
This might provoke some laughs, but I'm serious. I'm thinking about
getting a 2M HT for a goes anywhere" bag. I want someting small, rugged
and high signal quality.

Chuck Carpenter

Michael,

I have both the UV-82 and UV-5R. Both work well and program the same way. But I like the 82 a little better.

I use one at a "Typical" HT and the other as a 5 W mobile rig.

Good prices from places like Amazon for either one. Look for sales. I got the UV-5R for $25.

You can program them for lots of frequencies other than Amateur radio. Be careful about transmitting where its not allowed... ;-)

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

w2sh@...

Listen up, Doc.

The Kenwood TH-6F has been in continuous production for 18 years!  When you carefully investigate its wide-ranging capabilities, you'll see why.

I even use it to chase down rfi around the house and the neighborhood, or for casual listening anywhere to just about anything that's being radiated on almost any frequency, cell phone blocked of course, but there are people who probably can hack even that out.

Lots TH-6Fs are being sold, and by lots of competing suppliers, so bite the bullet, shop around and go for something you can and will use every day.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

To: 4sqrp@...; mcewenk5osa@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:32:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] 2M HT

[...]

Rick Bennett

I can also vouch for the Kenwood TH-F6.  I have an older version and it is a very well made radio and not too difficult to program (not as easy as say the IC-2AT, but I can figure it out without the manual).  The battery as a lithium ion and I have never had to replace it. The battery charging circuit is built in, so any 12 volt power source will charge it.  It is on high end price wise for an HT, but worth the money IMHO.

de KC0PET, Rick

From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:32:53 -0500

[...]

John Leonardelli <ve3ips@...>

I will throw my vote in for the THF6A as well

does sideband and cw on receive with extended coverage. just add about 10 feet of wire or even wrap it around the rubber duck
cheers
john ve3ips

KD4OBQ

weaselradio1@...

I bought mine on Amazon for under $30. There are a lot of issues with the software. I'm using Chirp now, and I had to go online for the instructions on getting the right drivers. It took a while to crack the code, but it works well.

Jeremy Utley

If you had driver problems, chances are you got a programming cable with one of the counterfeit Prolific serial chips in it.  I ended up buying a cable from Amazon with a FTDI chip in it, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.  CHIRP is a good piece of software, and I like how you can program multiple radios all at once with it - plus the fact it's cross-platform is great too!  I use it for nearly all of my programmable radios now!

Jeremy