Topics

Tinning toroid leads

davemrtn

Sitting here tinning some toroid leads watching the coating boil off and the smoke.
I starting thinking they ought to make the magnet wire so it puts off a nice fruity smell when you are boiling the coating off !!!

--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.

Chuck Carpenter

David,

At 12:11 PM 8/19/2015, you wrote:
I starting thinking they ought to make the magnet wire so it puts off a
nice fruity smell when you are boiling the coating off !!!
That's why I prefer to scrape the insulation off rather than burn it... ;-)

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

Johnny AC0BQ

Ahhhhh!
The sweet smell of burnt insulation and smokin rosin core solder!
Almost as good as burnt components!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015, Chuck Carpenter w5usj@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

David,

At 12:11 PM 8/19/2015, you wrote:
>I starting thinking they ought to make the magnet wire so it puts off a
>nice fruity smell when you are boiling the coating off !!!

That's why I prefer to scrape the insulation off rather than burn it... ;-)

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

---

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

David Wilcox

I have an old solder extractor that I removed the screw in tip from and turned it upside down.  I fill it with solder, heat it up and dip my lead in it...... Sometimes still have to scrape the residue off as not all enamel disintegrates with the heat.  I plugged the end that had the bulb.

Wish I only had the kind of wire enamel that boils off with the heat.  When I buy magnet wire it never seems to be labelled as heat strippable.

Dave K8WPE

On Aug 19, 2015, at 2:40 PM, Chuck Carpenter w5usj@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

David,

At 12:11 PM 8/19/2015, you wrote:
>I starting thinking they ought to make the magnet wire so it puts off a
>nice fruity smell when you are boiling the coating off !!!

That's why I prefer to scrape the insulation off rather than burn it... ;-)

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

---

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Dave,

The key word is "Thermaleze" - although that may be a brand name or 'heat-strippable'.  Doug Hendricks, Bill Kelsey (KangaUSA) and Diz (Kitsandparts) have that type.

Don W3FPR

On 8/20/2015 5:02 AM, Dave djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I have an old solder extractor that I removed the screw in tip from and turned it upside down.  I fill it with solder, heat it up and dip my lead in it...... Sometimes still have to scrape the residue off as not all enamel disintegrates with the heat.  I plugged the end that had the bulb.

Wish I only had the kind of wire enamel that boils off with the heat.  When I buy magnet wire it never seems to be labelled as heat strippable.

David Wilcox

Don,

Thanks.  Will order some.

Dave K8WPE