SSS Correction

John Lonigro

I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST, not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time" and then I'd never be wrong.

72,

John AA0VE

davemrtn

Or you could give Zulu time (GMT).

--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

John Lonigro

Dave:

Zulu time would be 0000-0200 during CDT and 0100-0300 CST. I'd probably screw that up as well (hi). On the other hand, those NOT in the central time zone might prefer Zulu time. Maybe I'll try that and see how many times I get it wrong in the coming year. If nothing else, it would be good practice for me.

72,
John AA0VE

On 11/8/2015 5:30 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST,
not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time"
and then I'd never be wrong.

72,

John AA0VE

--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.”
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another Bush for me, No Way !!

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Some of us need to see something like 'the little hand is on the seven and the big hand is the twelve..

For the rest of us Zulu works very well so long as we know where we are. Our neighbors to the south in Indiana don't use daylight saving time (can I move to Indiana?) but stay on CST year around. There are some others but I have not traveled there as much and can't recall which ones. If you want to include people outside your own locale then zulu is a wonderful tool.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 11/08/2015 07:04 AM, David Martin davemrtn@centurytel.net [4sqrp] wrote:

Or you could give Zulu time (GMT).

On 11/8/2015 5:30 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST,
not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time"
and then I'd never be wrong.

72,

John AA0VE
--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.”
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another Bush for me, No Way !!

Bill Cromwell

Hi John,

Sometimes we see schedules that give both zulu time the local time zone information. A few of us can determine our own time from either or both and would notice if they don't match. If you haven't had a reason to use time zone conversions you would probably not get an easy comfort using zulu time - aka Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) - aka Coordinated Universal Time (CUT). Then there is local time that gives us the time according the sun position and varies more or less uniformly around the world. My own local time is about 34 minutes later than Eastern Standard Time. Do you have a headache yet?

73,

Bill KU8H

On 11/08/2015 07:39 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

Dave:

Zulu time would be 0000-0200 during CDT and 0100-0300 CST. I'd probably
screw that up as well (hi). On the other hand, those NOT in the central
time zone might prefer Zulu time. Maybe I'll try that and see how many
times I get it wrong in the coming year. If nothing else, it would be
good practice for me.

72,
John AA0VE

davemrtn

At our local club, when we announce a time for an event, we always state time by where Mickey Mouse's hands will point.

On 11/08/2015 07:04 AM, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

> Or you could give Zulu time (GMT).
>
> On 11/8/2015 5:30 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@... [4sqrp] wrote:
>>
>> I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST,
>> not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time"
>> and then I'd never be wrong.
>>
>> 72,
>>
>> John AA0VE
>>

> --
> David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
> There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
> One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.”
> Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another Bush for me, No Way !!

--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.”
Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me.  Not another Bush for me, No Way !!

Bill Cromwell

Hi Dave,

One morning on the mess deck (Navy) we heard on armed forces radio the time is the zero seven hundred. For you Marines it's seven in the morning and for the officers the big hand..' etc. I have been using variations of that ever since.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 11/08/2015 08:00 AM, David Martin wrote:
At our local club, when we announce a time for an event, we always state time by where Mickey Mouse's hands will point.

dekle@...

My clock doesn't have hands on it.
No wonder I never know what time it starts.

KV6Z

wrote:

Or you could give Zulu time (GMT).

On 11/8/2015 5:30 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST,
not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time"
and then I'd never be wrong.

72,

John AA0VE
--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.�
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another
Bush for me, No Way !!

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

You are giving away your age <wink>.

73,

Bill KU8H

wrote:
Or you could give Zulu time (GMT).

On 11/8/2015 5:30 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:
I slipped up. As everyone should know, the SSS is from 7:00 - 9:00 CST,
not CDT, as CDT ended a week ago. I should simply say "central time"
and then I'd never be wrong.

72,

John AA0VE
--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.�
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another
Bush for me, No Way !!

W0IIT

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Not another
>> Bush for me, No Way !!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THE COUNTRY COULD NOT SURVIVE ANOTHER ONE!!!  PEOPLE ARE STILL DYING EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF THE LAST ONE!!

David,  Forgive the colors and the caps.  As you can tell, I feel a great deal about not getting another Bush in the Whitehouse.

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT

John Lonigro

As the song says, "Does anybody really know what time it is?"

If all the people who have sent replies to my "SSS Correction" email actually participate in the contest tonight (tomorrow if using UTC), then we should have a good turnout.

72,

John AA0VE

On 11/08/2015 06:58 AM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
[...]

.

David Wilcox K8WPE

I am not a Navy vet (my son is a LCDR in the supply corp) but isn't 0700 three bells?  I learned that from watching old navy movies growing up. (Probably opened up a can of worms with this one.)

Dave K8WPE

On Nov 8, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Bill Cromwell wrcromwell@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

One morning on the mess deck (Navy) we heard on armed forces radio the
time is the zero seven hundred. For you Marines it's seven in the
morning and for the officers the big hand..' etc. I have been using
variations of that ever since.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 11/08/2015 08:00 AM, David Martin wrote:
> At our local club, when we announce a time for an event, we always
> state time by where Mickey Mouse's hands will point.

Bill Cromwell

Hi Dave,

I don't know from bells. I knew once upon a time. After boot camp I was trained to work on propulsion and auxilliary machinery - all of which is located below decks. Hot. *NOISY*. Wimpy bells cannot be heard in that location. Those were for the traditionalists up on the conn.

If I knew there was going to be a test I would have studied harder <evil grin>. I got it right when it appeared on the test in boot camp all those years ago.

73,

Bill KU8H