Topics

Morse Over Internet - Project for the New Year ?

wa0itp yahoo <wa0itp@...>

I have a thought that CW over the internet might be fun and provide some cw enjoyment for those who are radio or antenna challenged. Challenging propagation figures into the equation also. It would be a good club benefit for members who can't participate in the on the air activites.

Is anyone in the Group familiar with doing this and could lead us in setting up a simple and inexpensive "station" ? I can envision nets and casual QSOs, and members monitoring the system to snag other members as they called CQ, etc. Key design goals would be simple, cheap, and easy to implement.

Any interest? Anyone with knowledge of it ? Can we do it? Should we do it?

TIA

--
----------------------------
I love this radio stuff!

Robert

I'm inrersted,

On Dec 24, 2015 1:21 PM, "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles W. Powell

The landline guys have set up just such a group on the internet, although their facilities either use or emulate sounders.  I’m not sure what the program for Windows is like - I think more flexible and able to superimpose a tone, tone with clicks, or just the clicks.  I have “version 3” and it is a java script that apparently is not as flexible as the Windows program (I’m a Mac user).  It apparently is possible to do your keying directly through a serial port or serial-USB adapter.  The Morse KOB guys are free.  I’ve looked into this but as of right now, I can’t really follow the sounder clicks, and I don’t know American Morse at all.

There is an online group for computer generated “radio”, but there is a charge for the service.

When I’m stuck in a hotel room with S9+20 noise on the radio it would be great to be able to do a little “CW” with just a key and a USB plug.  Unfortunately, I’m not the guy to write it.

72,

Chas NK8O

On Dec 24, 2015, at 12:20 PM, wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

AG1P Ron

Sounds interesting to me.  Maybe Echolink could provide a vehicle to accomplish?

Merry Christmas!!

72 de Ron - AG1P

[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

I'm interested as well.
I was thinking like Ron, possibly echo link?
Johnny AC0BQ

On Thursday, December 24, 2015, wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

wa0itp yahoo <wa0itp@...>

Ron, Johnny, and all,
Echolink may indeed be the tool we need.

Some food for thought:
Create a 4sqrp conference on Echolink
Key an audio oscillator plugged into the computer's mic jack.
Or use a computer mic laying next to the keyers sidetone.
May need to listen to the keyer's a sidetone.
Would break in be possible, or simplex only?

It isn't radio but it will be fun. Someone lead the charge.
----------------------------
I love this radio stuff!
72 73
WAØITP
http://www.wa0itp.com
http://www.4sqrp.com/
On 12/24/2015 1:54 PM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

sigcom1

CW over the Internet is fun. And it has already been done for us. IMNSHO, CW Communicator by MRX Software is the best Morse over Internet application, bar none. It was invented by a ham, John Samin VK1EME. There is no need to join EchoLink or any other system, the CW Comm. applications stands alone

<http://www.mrx.com.au/>; home page
<http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm>; download page
<http://morsecode.dyndns.org/index.html>; see all users active on system

The application is free, small and works w/ Windows only.

The input can be a key/paddle, the keyboard "down arrow", mouse buttons (iambic), keyboard alpha-numeric input or a text file.

The key/paddle interface is simple and designed for serial port. If you have USB only, a serial to usb convertor is necessary.

Reception is by audio tone (sine wave, variable frequency), blinking LED and/or PC monitor screen. The incomming code can be slowed down (or sped up) without having the sending operator QRS or QRQ.

Many hams and non-hams alike all over the globe are on the system. Plenty of 'room' is available for QSOs; there are 64000 'channels'. There is also code practice running almost continuously on several channels.

I'm certain I've left something out but the web site pretty much explains things.

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL

From: "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@yahoo.com [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
To: "4sqrp@yahoogroups.com" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:20:43 -0600

I have a thought that CW over the internet might be fun and provide some
cw enjoyment for those who are radio or antenna challenged. Challenging
propagation figures into the equation also. It would be a good club
benefit for members who can't participate in the on the air activites.

Is anyone in the Group familiar with doing this and could lead us in
setting up a simple and inexpensive "station" ? I can envision nets and
casual QSOs, and members monitoring the system to snag other members as
they called CQ, etc. Key design goals would be simple, cheap, and easy
to implement.

Any interest? Anyone with knowledge of it ? Can we do it? Should we do it?

TIA

Ally Bank, Member FDIC
Consistently competitive rates, 24/7 customer care, Member FDIC
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/567c780dac262780c656est04vuc

David Lininger

So what do you recommend for those of us who use Macs?

From: "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@yahoo.com [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
To: "4sqrp@yahoogroups.com" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:20:43 -0600

[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

- --
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10
kb0zke@gmail.com

sigcom1

I have no recommendation. I know it's distasteful to Mac users but possibly a Win. emulator(?). I don't own a Mac or I'd give it a try.

Getting it working on a Mac would make you a hero.

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL

So what do you recommend for those of us who use Macs?
Ally Bank, Member FDIC
Consistently competitive rates, 24/7 customer care, Member FDIC
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/567c81957b016195596bst04vuc

John Lonigro

I wonder if the software will run under WINE? If so, it would open it up to both Mac and Linux users.

John AA0VE

P.S. Merry Christmas to all.

From: "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@yahoo.com [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
To: "4sqrp@yahoogroups.com" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:20:43 -0600

[...]

WA0ITP

Thanks Steve, this sounds perfect. Could you write up a little list of baby steps to get us started? The CW Communicator sounds pretty good for roundtable chats, or a meeting place if I read. it right.

72 Terry WAØITP

From: "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@yahoo.com [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
To: "4sqrp@yahoogroups.com" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:20:43 -0600

[...]

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

I used to do some Morse via the web running this small program called CWCom available for free at
http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm It has different rooms or servers to enter to find someone to talk to which brings me to why I rarely used it. A lot of the time I couldn't find anyone else online to do code with. You can wire a key to use, but I never did because you can use the down arrow on the computer keyboard for a straight key.
There's also a website at http://internetcw.weebly.com/ that allows CW over the internet, You have to build a sound card interface or a sidetone generator to use with it. I like the easiest way which is why I liked CWCom by MRX Software the best. Food for thought!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Very 72 de KU4GW Cliff
4SQRP#536

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Steve, all:
The mrx software sounds interesting!
I have Windows, Linux and I phones/ iPads running.
Would be interesting to see how this software would run across the different platforms!
Looks like we're in for some experimentation.

From: "wa0itp yahoo wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
To: "4sqrp@..." <4sqrp@...>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:20:43 -0600

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

R. R. Robson

Another internet-based program is CQ100 (free for 30 days, $39 per year thereafter) - http://qsonet.com/index.html.

Its CW TX mode uses the keyboard (you actually type the words and letters) or audio from an external keyer via the line-in jack on the pc.

As expected, it uses speakers/headphones for RX - there is no decoding, although with something like VAX you can use one of the decoding programs out there.

It was designed as an internet-based emulation of a HF voice transceiver; many disabled hams use it to for voice QSOs.

From the help manual section on CW:

CW OPERATION

The CQ100 transceiver may be used to send and receive morse code.

Line In Method:

With this method, you will need a CW keyer, or code practice oscillator with audio output.
Plug the keyer sidetone into the "Line In" jack of your computer sound card.
Go to Transceiver Options and click Open Mixer under Audio Input. Select "Line In" and move the volume slider to a reasonable level.
Use the Push-To-Talk button or the VOX mode to turn transmit on, then send morse code.
Adjust the mixer slider and keyer volume until the S-Meter shows approximately S9 peaks.

Built In Keyer:

The CQ100 built in keyer allows you to type characters on your keyboard to generate morse code.

Set the MODE SWITCH to Keyer. The transmitter will come on when you start typing and turn off when you stop typing. The Push-To-Talk switch is not used in Keyer mode.

Use the CQ100 transceiver knobs to set the desired speed and pitch for your morse code.

Type your message using the letters on your keyboard. You can type ahead of the CW, but remember to enter spaces to seperate your words.

--
Cheers,

Richard R. (Robby) Robson
LTC USA (USA Retired)

"When we lack the will to see things as they really are, there is nothing so mystifying as the obvious" (Irving Kristol)

Tom Sevart

The only group I've heard of are the ones doing telegraphy over the internet using telegraph keys and sounders. I've never been able to copy clickety clack Morse code though.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

There is a high speed group that has been going for a number of
years.  These are the real high speed guys.

Some are doing over 90WPM!!

chuck, k7qo

On 12/25/2015 07:41 PM, Tom Sevart tmsevart@... [4sqrp] wrote:

The only group I've heard of are the ones doing telegraphy over the
internet using telegraph keys and sounders. I've never been able to
copy clickety clack Morse code though.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS