Topics

looking for a simple pcb program and pcbs

Phil <w0xiphil@...>

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.”

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil

Avast logo

Tommy Gober

Check out Fritzing if you're just beginning. The price is right!

On Feb 28, 2016, at 10:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.”

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil

Avast logo

Jim Sheldon

Only problem with Fritzing, you can't download it until you run through the PayPal gauntlet and chose not to donate.  They really try to pressure you to send them money before you can download the file.  I don't give money to any of those sites until I have thoroughly tested their software and if it doesn't fit what I need, why should I donate and not be able to get a refund if it's not suitable?

W0EB

Check out Fritzing if you're just beginning. The price is right!

On Feb 28, 2016, at 10:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.”

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil

Avast logo

John Lonigro

Phil:

I use ExpressPCB.  The download is free.  I can send you a picture of a recent PCB I made if you are interested.  My boards aren't very dense, but that's my fault, not the software's.

The 2nd part of the equation is doing a good job transferring the image to a blank PCB.  You might look at www.pcbfx.com for a good product, which is NOT free.

The 3rd part is doing the etching itself, often using Ferric Chloride.  Be careful.  It will eat away the chrome plating on your drain (don't ask how I know this).  Another method uses Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar, with a dash of salt.  This method works, but is a lot slower than Ferric Chloride.

72,

John AA0VE

On 02/28/2016 10:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.”

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil

Avast logo

Chuck Carpenter

Phil,

I agree with ExpressPCB and ExpressSch.  Download the instructions and the programs and design away.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

At 10:53 AM 2/28/2016, you wrote:

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.�

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil
w0xiphil@...

Avast logo

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Unc Phil,
    Here's one answer to your second question....

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/645/usd/2312.pdf

On 2/28/2016 10:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hey All,

I’m looking for a cheap or no-cost and simple pcb layout program for fast projects. Nothing fancy.

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.”

Anybody?

Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Uncle Phil

Avast logo

David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
A Church can survive indefinitely without a Pastor, but definitely will not survive without members.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Jim Kortge

On 2/28/2016 11:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] wrote:

-snip-

�
Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.�
�
Anybody?

Would the 4 State QRP #1 Designer Dream Board fit your needs Phil?� Please check the web site; I think they are still available.

�
Looking forward the OZcon-2016!

Can't make it this year.......

72,

Jim, K8IQY

Bob Nelson

ExpressPCB is the way to go when you are serious about a board you want.
It will cost you about $100 for a pair of beautiful double-sided boards with plated-thru holes.
You lay out the board using their free schematic-drawing and pcb-layout software.
It's quite easy to learn their s/w, and when you have the pcb laid out the way you want it,
you simply email your design to them, and in about a week you get back your boards.

Now $100 may seem like a bit much for a board where you are still experimenting with the
circuit.  So you may be better served by using super-cheap "matrix-pc" boards until you have
the circuit at least 95% "proven".  These matrix boards are used by lots of professionals, too,
so they are available from a lot of suppliers, including Jameco, All-Electronics, Electronics
Goldmine, etc.  I have a pile of them, in different dimensions and formats, that I use all the time.
Some simply have holes on a 0.1 inch grid (each hole with a copper donut around it).  And some
have that same 0.1-grid of holes, but all holes in each row connected by strips of copper.  Some are
good for one thing, some another.  For complex circuits I often use some of both kinds of board.

Then when I know the circuit is "proven" I go to ExpressPCB.  Their product is great, and very much
worth the money IMHO.   I've never been sorry about the service I have gotten from them - especially
when their s/w is so prosfessional and so cheap.  For cheap, it's very hard to beat FREE.

For my money this process beats the snot out of designing and etching your own boards at home.

73 - Bob, K6KL

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 2:14 PM, "Jim Kortge jim.k8iqy@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

On 2/28/2016 11:53 AM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] wrote:

-snip-

Also looking for some ready-made pcbs that just have a pattern of holes and or pads on them to wire up “stuff.â€