To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500
Subject: [4sqrp] vertical antenna

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

John Lonigro

If it was a "cricket" antenna, I'll bet it produced a lot of chirping! Didn't we use Walter's antenna for several years?

72,

John AA0VE

On 04/24/2016 06:00 PM, Paul Smith psmith61@cox.net [4sqrp] wrote:
David,
Ill do some digging, I think they are made in Wichita and have seen one on the floor of the Radio Shack in Derby, just south of Wichita. If memory serves it was a good antenna.
de Paul N0NBD

________________________________
To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500
A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....
Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?
--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

WA0ITP

Hi David,

It was the "Grasshopper"  made an sold by Loops and More    http://loopsnmore.com/multi-band-hf-verticals-coming-soon-2/
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 4/24/2016 5:57 PM, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Dick Hammond

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 6:26 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi David,

It was the "Grasshopper"  made an sold by Loops and More    http://loopsnmore.com/multi-band-hf-verticals-coming-soon-2/

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 4/24/2016 5:57 PM, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

davemrtn

There we go, that's it.

I was wanting to look up the spec's on it.

Thanks Terry.

NA1MH

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Posted by: David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

.

davemrtn

Loops N More spec's on the grasshopper are rather sparse...
SWR <1.5 on most bands is not very informative !!

David Martin - NA1MH

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Jim Sheldon

It's a 21 foot untuned vertical.  Needs a good tuner and at least 4 fifteen foot radials, preferably 6 or even 8 or more.  With a good tuner and plenty of radials, it will work 80-6 meters.  It's not the best for portable as it only collapses down to about 6 feet.  It does work better than something like the PAC-12 or a mobile whip.  It must be used with a tuner and it really needs a fairly good radial field to work.  Speaking from experience because I own one.

Jim, W0EB

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 24, 2016, at 7:05 PM, davemrtn davemrtn@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Loops N More spec's on the grasshopper are rather sparse...
SWR <1.5 on most bands is not very informative !!

David Martin - NA1MH

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Sean Edwards

Was it the MFJ-1899t < http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1899T >?

I don't think this is manufactured by MFJ, I think they import it from the U.K.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 7:05 PM, davemrtn davemrtn@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Loops N More spec's on the grasshopper are rather sparse...
SWR <1.5 on most bands is not very informative !!

David Martin - NA1MH

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Dave
I bought one last year and I used it. /p in Dallas last year.
I grounded it to my truck body and it performed well.
I now have it mounted in the yard with a radial field.
It is a little more noisy than a dipole, but it hers very well

On Sunday, April 24, 2016, davemrtn davemrtn@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Loops N More spec's on the grasshopper are rather sparse...
SWR <1.5 on most bands is not very informative !!

David Martin - NA1MH

A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
cricket, or maybe nothing like that....

Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
for the person selling it ?

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.

Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

--
QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72

davemrtn

Johnny and Jim,
    From your experience, which bands did it tune up to <=1.5 ?

NA1MH

On 4/24/2016 7:28 PM, Johnny Matlock wrote:
[...]

cornhusker

I have one, too that I got at Ozarkcon.  The Grasshopper needs good grounding or radials.  73 DE K0NEB

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Jim Sheldon w0eb@... [4sqrp]
<4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

At OzarkCon and at home, with 6 radials, I got a 1:1 match on 80-6 with the K3 and KX3's internal tuners.  Your mileage will probably vary with number of radials and soil conductivity.  I don't have a manual tuner to test it with,
Jim

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 24, 2016, at 7:35 PM, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Johnny and Jim,
    From your experience, which bands did it tune up to <=1.5 ?

[...]

W0IIT

John,

If you were asking if we used Walter’s antenna for the K0N station the answer is, no.  We used “Loops and More” vertical for several years.  This year "Loops and More” were unable to attend and we used Bert’s “Buddy Pole” dipole.  Both antennas worked great for the dummy load contest and other "In house" contacts.  At the K0N table I was running 0.1 watt so wasn’t really trying to work outside stations.

Before using those two antennas I used a commercial wahr(Terry’s play on Okie talk) that was donated by Gene N0MQ (sk).  I can’t ever remember the name of that antenna.  It was made up of a length of twin lead with one element cut at !/2 the length and it came in a 10-40 length(which is what I was using) and a 10-80 model.  It also worked great and plugged right into the internal tuner of my K1, K2, or KX3 all of which I used over the years.

Looking forward to next year, I will likely use my KX-3 for the dummy load contest and also use my little “pig rig” which was build for me by Johnny AC0BQ and the enclosure by Terry WA0ITP for in house contact(the number of which is growing every year).  Also my KX-3 will be using a dummy load, so the dummy load contest, will be a real test of leaky dummy loads on both sides of the contacts!  I will probably use the dummy load designed by Terry WA0ITP — the construction details are available on his web page.  For the "pig rig” which is rock bound on the “4State Frequency” of 7.122 I’m not sure what I will use for an antenna.

I hope that OzarkCon attendees all bring a rig for “in house” and dummy load contacts.  It would make a good contest to see who could collect the most 4State numbers in a “24” hour time span while at Ocon.
I think Nick WA5BDU is planning on building a little transceiver for the very purpose of “in house” Ocon QSOs!!

I will run the idea of a contest like this becoming a part of Ocon by the BOD.  I would want the 24 hours to be ended before the forums start on Saturday morning.  So no member would be missing any of the presentations.

We will see.

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT
Pittsburg, KS
4Sqrp=#72, FP=#11, ARS=#568,
SKCC=1139, NAQCC=#588 FIST=#5819,
Zombie=#500, Geratol=#1000

On 04/24/2016 06:00 PM, Paul Smith psmith61@... [4sqrp] wrote:
> David,
> Ill do some digging, I think they are made in Wichita and have seen one on the floor of the Radio Shack in Derby, just south of Wichita. If memory serves it was a good antenna.
> de Paul N0NBD
>
> ________________________________
>> To: 4sqrp@...
>> From: 4sqrp@...
>> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500
>> Subject: [4sqrp] vertical antenna
>>

>> A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
>> antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
>> I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
>> cricket, or maybe nothing like that....
>>
>> Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
>> for the person selling it ?
>>
>> --
>> David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
>>
>> There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
>>
>> Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.
>>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
> Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
> View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Paul Smith

VERY GOOD IDEA Bart!
 I forgot about my PIG RIG languishing in the closet. I will have to get it out and use it again.
 A in house run sounds fun. This year I was tired enough I never even opened my radio bag. BAD ME! As one BOD I vote yes for a 24 hr in house and will pencil it in my notes for next year!

de Paul N0NBD

________________________________

To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com; jonigro@gmail.com
From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:29:29 -0500

jonigro@gmail.com<mailto:jonigro@gmail.com> [4sqrp]

To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com<mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com<mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com<http://4sqrp.com/>
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Curt

My own sparse antenna farm uses vertical antennas for the low bands, and I use one of them also on the warc bands.  There is no single untuned vertical that will match all bands fed by coax.  If you only have one unturned verticsl height then an autotuner at the base is in order.  A local friend when he downsized in retirement opted for a 32 foot vertical,  a decent radiator for 80 to12 meters.  Go taller and there is less low angle radiation on 12 and 15m.

Specs for one of these things?  Its a structure that holds a piece of wire.

I have not modeled this but it my case a 29 foot vertical matches easiIy thru coax on all the warc bands

73 curt

W0IIT

Thanks John.  I think it would be fun and tallying the contacts etc would keep me busy between forums.

Like I said, we will see!!

Yes, those neat “Pig Rig” should get some use!!

cu es 72, Bart

To: 4sqrp@...; jonigro@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:29:29 -0500

jonigro@...<mailto:jonigro@...> [4sqrp]

To: 4sqrp@...<mailto:4sqrp@...
From: 4sqrp@...<mailto:4sqrp@...
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   4sqrp-digest@...
   4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

James Rodenkirch

Curt is spot on re needing an auto tuner at the base if you feed the antenna with coax....see my qrz dot com page for a slight variation of a vertical antenna focused on the low bands (160/80/40/30) that works as well as a previously installed 43' vertical with top loading wires.

71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

My own sparse antenna farm uses vertical antennas for the low bands, and I use one of them also on the warc bands.  There is no single untuned vertical that will match all bands fed by coax.  If you only have one unturned verticsl height then an autotuner at the base is in order.  A local friend when he downsized in retirement opted for a 32 foot vertical,  a decent radiator for 80 to12 meters.  Go taller and there is less low angle radiation on 12 and 15m.

Specs for one of these things?  Its a structure that holds a piece of wire.

I have not modeled this but it my case a 29 foot vertical matches easiIy thru coax on all the warc bands

73 curt

Walter - K5EST

GM Bart, collecting the most 4State numbers in a “24” hour time span while at Ocon sounds great to me. More things to do and it just might make walking portable a new venture for some folks!

Let's see.....a 40 meter dummy load rubber duck antenna?

73,

:........Walter Dufrain - K5EST........:

On April 25, 2016, at 3:29 PM, "Bart Lawson blawson2@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

> [...]

> ________________________________
>> To: 4sqrp@...
>> From: 4sqrp@...
>> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:57:04 -0500
>> Subject: [4sqrp] vertical antenna
>>

>> A couple of years ago at OzarkCon, someone was selling a vertical
>> antenna and K0N was using one of the antennas.
>> I can't remember the name for sure, I think it was something like
>> cricket, or maybe nothing like that....
>>
>> Does anybody remember the name of the antenna and if there is a web page
>> for the person selling it ?
>>
>> --
>> David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
>>
>> There is no Grief as great as denying the Truth until it is too late.
>>
>> Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.

> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
> Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016

W0IIT

LOL, yes, I think it would be fun and ending  before the speakers start their forums would give me a chance to tally the logs and see who did the best.  One thing it would require would be that the participants making the “in house” contacts use some frequency other than 7.040 which in the past has be used for the “dummy load” activities.  I hope that 7.122 would be the frequency of choice.

Let me know the specs for that 40 meter rubber duck:-)

cu es 72, Bart w0iit
Pittsburg, KS