Possible scammer at work

This doesn't look right to me. The email "From" address is not the same
as that of the real KA3MTT shown on QRZ.com. Also telling is that most
hams don't sign a message with their full name and middle initial.

Beware, be aware.

72, Nate

Gm Nate
Yes,
It's the same one that bounced thru all the reflectors a few months ago!
Thanks for the Heads up.

On Monday, May 16, 2016, Nate Bargmann n0nb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

This doesn't look right to me. The email "From" address is not the same
as that of the real KA3MTT shown on QRZ.com. Also telling is that most
hams don't sign a message with their full name and middle initial.

Beware, be aware.

72, Nate

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

Tom Bewick, k2bew

This is at least the 4th time these messages have circulated through all the HAM groups in the past 6 months, and I have heard of at least one person that lost money to him. What I am surprised about is some people still question whether or not it is a scam on some lists. It is a bait and switch they tell you they moved and have an address other then the one listed with the FCC and try to get you to send them money to it.
73, Tom​

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Nate Bargmann n0nb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

This doesn't look right to me. The email "From" address is not the same
as that of the real KA3MTT shown on QRZ.com. Also telling is that most
hams don't sign a message with their full name and middle initial.

Beware, be aware.

72, Nate

Don Wilhelm

Bottom line for me - If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

When the email address or physical address of the seller is different from the address listed in QRZ.com or the FCC database, it should arouse suspicion.

I can't imagine any one ham would have that many rigs for sale at one time.
An estate sale, maybe, but that would normally be clearly stated.

THINK, and be safe out there in internet land!

73,
Don W3FPR

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Nate Bargmann n0nb@n0nb.us <mailto:n0nb@n0nb.us> [4sqrp] <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com <mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

This doesn't look right to me. The email "From" address is not the
same
as that of the real KA3MTT shown on QRZ.com. Also telling is that most
hams don't sign a message with their full name and middle initial.

Beware, be aware.

It has been so long since I signed up for the group/mailing list that I
don't recall if the membership must be approved for subscription. I
know some groups are somewhat restrictive, perhaps for this reason, and
require a personal note to the list/group owner for approval.

That said, while I don't want the tone of this group to become a clique
that is not welcoming to newcomers--in fact this group is exactly the
opposite--there should be a means to do a simple check to keep scammers
from just being able to blast their nonsense to several hundred of us at
once.

72, Nate

Don Wilhelm

Nate,

I would think it would be quite difficult to detect scammers when they sign up for a group like this. This is an "open group" rather than a "closed group" where everyone must be specifically invited by the moderator. As far as I know, there is no in-between ground.

What is important is that the moderator of the group has the ability to block anyone from posting. If this particular subscriber has not already been blocked, the administrator of this list is to blame. I have seen at least 2 posts (or maybe 3) from this particular scam on 4sqrp.

I have also seen this "offering" once on the KX3 Yahoo Group, and the moderator has blocked the scammer after the 1st post.

In this particular case, the address of the poster does not match the 'supposed' seller - that is an immediate clue that the post is a scam.

I cannot speak for those moderating QRZ.com and other "sell ham radio" sites, but as always it is "buyer beware". If it looks 'too good to be true', it likely is. Don't send money until you have checked it out - FCC database, QRZ.com, etc. If the seller demands a cash, bank transfer or USPS money order, be cautious. PayPal has resolution methods that work (I have personal experience, but only on minor amounts).

Most hams are honest, but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bushel. Practice "safe computing", whatever that may mean in the situation.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/16/2016 7:22 PM, Nate Bargmann n0nb@n0nb.us [4sqrp] wrote:

It has been so long since I signed up for the group/mailing list that I
don't recall if the membership must be approved for subscription. I
know some groups are somewhat restrictive, perhaps for this reason, and
require a personal note to the list/group owner for approval.

That said, while I don't want the tone of this group to become a clique
that is not welcoming to newcomers--in fact this group is exactly the
opposite--there should be a means to do a simple check to keep scammers
from just being able to blast their nonsense to several hundred of us at
once.

Tom Sevart

On 05/16/16 05:35, Nate Bargmann n0nb@n0nb.us [4sqrp] wrote:
This doesn't look right to me. The email "From" address is not the same
as that of the real KA3MTT shown on QRZ.com. Also telling is that most
hams don't sign a message with their full name and middle initial.

Beware, be aware.
This is the same equipment I've seen listed for sale under many different names & callsigns. It's a total scam.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom Sevart

This scammer also posted the same message on the UDXF list. It seems like the last time I saw it on the 4SQRP list it was also on the UDXF list. I warned the UDXF list of the scam.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS