Topics

WHAT IS ON YOUR BUCKET LIST? MOON BOUNCE?

Phil <w0xiphil@...>

HEY ALL,

GOT AROUND TO READING JULY QST TODAY AND RAN ACROSS A VERY NICE ARTICLE ON MOON-BOUNCE (EME), PAGE 67.
DENNIS, W5RZ, DID A NICE JOB ON “NATIONAL PARKS VIA THE MOON.”

After that, thought I ought to add a moon-bounce contact to my ham bucket list (just turned 75 last Thursday) .

Dennis noted that it doesn’t take that much:

1. Load up K1JT’s WSJT software (free download) for the moon bounce digital mode (known as JT65B), [  physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/j1jt/    ]
2. SSB Transceiver or 432 MHz...........he used an FT-857D at 20 watts......
3. He used a 22-element Yagi..........(K1FO),
4. Determine path of the moon  (day or night)......W7GJ makes an excellent planning program called GJTracker, available as a free download  from www.bigskyspaces.com/w7jg/.
5. He uses an iphone APP to point at the moon...........called Lunatic  (nice name for buck folks) .

Cool stuff.
w0xi, Phil
member, W0uk club, 4SQRP club.

Avast logo

Don Jackson

Correction to the link to W7GJ: his call has the two letters "gj" reversed in the link given.

On 07/03/2016 02:36 PM, 'Phil' w0xiphil@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

HEY ALL,
GOT AROUND TO READING JULY QST TODAY AND RAN ACROSS A VERY NICE ARTICLE
ON MOON-BOUNCE (EME), PAGE 67.
DENNIS, W5RZ, DID A NICE JOB ON “NATIONAL PARKS VIA THE MOON.”
After that, thought I ought to add a moon-bounce contact to my ham
bucket list (just turned 75 last Thursday) Smile.
Dennis noted that it doesn’t take that much:
1. Load up K1JT’s WSJT software (free download) for the moon bounce
digital mode (known as *JT65B*), [ physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/j1jt/ ]
2. SSB Transceiver or 432 MHz...........he used an FT-857D at 20 watts......
3. He used a 22-element Yagi..........(K1FO),
4. Determine path of the moon (day or night)......W7GJ makes an
excellent planning program called *GJTracker*, available as a free
download from www.bigskyspaces.com/w7jg/
<http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7jg/>;.
5. He uses an iphone APP to point at the moon...........called
*Lunatic* (nice name for buck folks) Smile.
Cool stuff.
w0xi, Phil

Johnny AC0BQ

Hmm Interesting Phil
We might get better return signals from
The moon than we do the ozone layer!!

Worked CA this am on 7.038, he was running
550 watts so I kicked the kx3 up to 12.
He asked if I had a rig that was qro??
72
Have a fun and safe 4th!!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Sunday, July 3, 2016, 'Phil' w0xiphil@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

w2sh@...

Johnny,

I've always thought the FCC's legal maximum on AM was four times the peak power of a 100-percent modulated Class C stage, or 375 Watts (times four = 1,500Watts).

Gosh, how silly of me.  Of course, the guy is in California where they play by their own rules.  Guess 550 Watts is QRP there.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

[...]

Dean LaClair

Phil the link to Princeton is broke.

Johnny, not an unreasonable request if QRO op was, say, S2, on your end and  you were near the noise level on his...

Just sayin
72
Dean K2WW

On Jul 3, 2016 4:49 PM, "Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Schaefer

Thanks, Phil.  It was fun, and if anyone wants any more info, I'd be glad to help.   Bear in mind that I'm not an "expert" and that was the point of the article.  I'll never rack up a big list of EME stations worked, but there are at least 10 big stations that I should be able to  work with minimal equipment.   The Essex DX Group guys in England are decoding some of the big stations using a 2 element yagi, and also a corner reflector made from a cardboard box covered with aluminum foil.   They have some good info on their Facebook page, if you are a Facebook participant.

My next project (which may or may not ever get finished) is a rope yagi that can be tied to a tree branch and steered manually.    I'll attempt an EME contact with an FT-817 and a 15 watt amplifier on 432 MHz.   I hope this will all be small enough to put in a backpack, although I don't intend to hike too far with it.   The battery requirements sholdn't be too stringent if a contact is made quickly.   All of these QRP EME efforts have one contact as the goal, and anything else is gravy.

QRP CW is still the best, but it's fun to try new things.

73,
Dennis, W5RZ

Dan Reynolds

What if you don't have QRO? Stop talking?