From: "ad7gr@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date: 7/14/16 9:09 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: 4sqrp@...
Subject: [4sqrp] Low Cost 10W All Band Xcvr

Any suggestions for a dependable, economical (low cost), 10W, 40-10M portable transceiver for camping?   I tried taking my 100w rigs -pwr reduced to 10w- to the field but they are too power hungry.

Thanks,
Ed - ad7gr

Darryl J Kelly

Ed,
When you say multiple bands, 10 watts, low power consumption, I don't know anything in the economical range. The new Elecraft KX2 meets your first three requirements at $750 base, but well over $1000 with its extras. I had the same requirements for a base station QRP radio and ended up with a K2 at over $1000 when I had it set up like I wanted. No free lunch that I know of.
Darryl, KK5IB

davemrtn

Ed,

    Have you looked at the Yaesu FT-817 ?

    I have one and it is my favorite radio of all the ones I have or have owned previously.  You would have to pry it from my "cold dead hands".

NA1MH

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is a difference between a 'Hacker' and a "Cyber Criminal",

Darryl J Kelly

Good radio, but not 10 watts, Yaesu says Don't even try 10 watts.
Darryl, KK5IB

davemrtn

5W or 10W, isn't going to make any difference, perhaps other than battery usage.

Remember, from 5W to 100W only makes 2 'S-Units' difference on the receive and.

On 7/14/2016 11:54, kk5ib01@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Good radio, but not 10 watts, Yaesu says Don't even try 10 watts.
Darryl, KK5IB

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is a difference between a 'Hacker' and a "Cyber Criminal",
Seek to understand the difference.

davemrtn

Sorry, stupid fingers....   should say "receive end".

On 7/14/2016 12:30, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

5W or 10W, isn't going to make any difference, perhaps other than battery usage.

Remember, from 5W to 100W only makes 2 'S-Units' difference on the receive and.

On 7/14/2016 11:54, kk5ib01@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Good radio, but not 10 watts, Yaesu says Don't even try 10 watts.
Darryl, KK5IB

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is a difference between a 'Hacker' and a "Cyber Criminal",
Seek to understand the difference.

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.
There is a difference between a 'Hacker' and a "Cyber Criminal",
Seek to understand the difference.

Ken Talbott

The hb-1b mk3 represents great value for the $.  The internal battery option works well.  Use a resonant antenna (consider the LNR MTR) and no tuner is required.  Install one of the tiny touch keyers (on the corner) and you have a go anywhere/anytime, rugged little rig.  The filtering is a little wide, but the ability to listen-only to SSB is handy late at night when CW is dead.  Not for serious contesting, but a fun rig!

Ken – ke4rg

Date: 7/14/16 9:09 AM (GMT-06:00)

Any suggestions for a dependable, economical (low cost), 10W, 40-10M portable transceiver for camping?   I tried taking my 100w rigs -pwr reduced to 10w- to the field but they are too power hungry.

Thanks,
Ed - ad7gr

Sean Edwards

Take a look at qrpschool.com for ideas and reviews.

- Sean Edwards
AD0QG

On Jul 14, 2016 9:41 AM, "ad7gr@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Any suggestions for a dependable, economical (low cost), 10W, 40-10M portable transceiver for camping?   I tried taking my 100w rigs -pwr reduced to 10w- to the field but they are too power hungry.

Thanks,
Ed - ad7gr

Ed - ad7gr

Thanks Paul, but I have a KX1 (4 band, 4W) and want to find a 10W rig.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
skcc #30T
www.edliko.net

On 7/14/2016 7:55 AM, paul Bonham wrote:

I have been looking at the youkits hb-1b mk3.
It is a QRP 40,30,20,17,&15 meter transceiver.

Would not cover your 10 meter but at $299.00 usd might be worth lookingg at.

Paul Bonham
KG5NKW

Ed - ad7gr

I am considering it since finding that Icom discontinued the IC-703, but I would like to find a 10W rig. Lately I have been able to hold a QSO using 10W but lost it when dropping to 5W.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
skcc #30T
www.edliko.net

On 7/14/2016 9:09 AM, David Martin davemrtn@centurytel.net [4sqrp] wrote:

Ed,

Have you looked at the Yaesu FT-817 ?

I have one and it is my favorite radio of all the ones I have or have owned previously. You would have to pry it from my "cold dead hands".

NA1MH

Ed - ad7gr

Exactly.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
skcc #30T
www.edliko.net

On 7/14/2016 9:54 AM, kk5ib01@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

Good radio, but not 10 watts, Yaesu says Don't even try 10 watts.
Darryl, KK5IB

Ed - ad7gr

That seems to be the real issue... and the folks in GB have discussed this as well... not much out there for a 10W, multi-band rig with an economical price being manufactured. No free lunch expected but it would be nice to have dessert occasionally. ;-)

73,
Ed - ad7gr
skcc #30T
www.edliko.net

On 7/14/2016 9:00 AM, kk5ib01@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

Ed,
When you say multiple bands, 10 watts, low power consumption, I don't know anything in the economical range. The new Elecraft KX2 meets your first three requirements at $750 base, but well over $1000 with its extras. I had the same requirements for a base station QRP radio and ended up with a K2 at over $1000 when I had it set up like I wanted. No free lunch that I know of.
Darryl, KK5IB

Posted by: kk5ib01@gmail.com

Paul Ross <deadgoose@...>

My EK-1A (Youkits) covers 40 and 20 on CW, 5 watts. Standby/receive is less than 100 mA.

73 /paul W3FIS

Hi Paul,
The China CW rigs got me some very good DX and also I still have my 40 meter and 20 meter CW 5 watt rigs.
I use an external PICO keyer with a speed control pot on it so I can adjust fast to the hi or low speed sender.
BOB LECH  AF2DX

In a message dated 7/14/2016 6:39:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 4sqrp@... writes:
My EK-1A (Youkits) covers 40 and 20 on CW, 5 watts. Standby/receive is
less than 100 mA.

73 /paul W3FIS

Kenneth Ketner

Sounds like a Heathkit HW 9, 5 watts, most bands. They are around in the used markets.

Ken Ketner
KA5ELD
PO Box 65135
Lubbock, TX 79464-5135
Sent from my iPad

Curt

Ed

Likely you have many ideas from the group.  Battery friendly rigs tend not to be commercially available,  when you also seek low cost.  There are some 2 or 3 band rigs that come to mind, pfr3, youkits etc,  a couple bands in the middle of hf are plenty for vacation operation.  Even a couple of single band rigs would travel well.

73 curt

I remember building up the Ramsey 20 watt AMP and I used it for years.
Now the price went up to $49.99 but free shipping.
If my mind remembers correctly the power out can be knocked down with the AMP or feed just a watt or 2 into the AMP.

I guess when things get real bad I will take the SR8T out of the box
BOB LECH  AF2DX

In a message dated 7/14/2016 7:29:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 4sqrp@... writes:
Sounds like a Heathkit HW 9, 5 watts, most bands. They are around in the used markets.

Ken Ketner
KA5ELD
PO Box 65135
Lubbock, TX 79464-5135
Sent from my iPad

Ed - ad7gr

My thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions. You have given me much to consider and think on. I likely even have the solution at hand.

73,
Ed - ad7gr
skcc #30T
www.edliko.net

KE3KQ

Might as well throw in my 2 cents.  At Field Day I ran my Ten Tec Argonaut 6 off a battery quite successfully.  Very comfortable at 1 - 10 watts and a really great receiver.  It is not too picky on voltage either (9.5-14).  It does require a  battery with some capacity (3 amps draw at full transmit) but there are many options in that area.

If you want to have an amp along just in case then the Hard Rock 50 amp matches up nicely and gives you access to 50 watts in a smallish package at modest cost.  And the HR 50 is not too demanding as to SWR.

For 10 watts I like to use the Emtech ZM-2 tuner which handles 10 watts comfortably and it offers antenna flexibility.

The Argonaut also matches up nicely with the Ten Tec 1208 6 meter transverter which puts out a little less than 9 watts for some VHF fun on weekends like this when there is a VHF contest.

All this is for picnic table use as I see it.  If you want to hike and work off a rock along the trail etc then a smaller more rugged package is a better choice in my view but might not have 10 watts.

*** Ben KE3KQ