12 Volt linear (not switching!) wall wart

random.path

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Sean Edwards

I use (2) 12v 17Ah batteries in series and avoid house AC completely.

-=Sean Edwards=-
AD0QG

On Aug 25, 2016 4:03 PM, "CStratton groups@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Don Wilhelm

Chip,

You might want to consider building your own. Start with an 18-0-18 volt transformer from MPJA (http://www.mpja.com/18V-2A-Center-Tapped-9-0-9-Transformer/productinfo/27843+TR/), a bridge rectifier and filter capacitors, then add a 7812 voltage regulator and you will have a good linear power supply rated at 1 amp (the max rating of the 7812 regulator). You should plan to add a heatsink for the regulator.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 8/25/2016 5:03 PM, CStratton groups@strattonfamily.us [4sqrp] wrote:
Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

helichuck@...

I have a few 18 volt transformers, 3 at 5 amps and 2 at 2.5 amps, these would make a great supply.

random.path

I know I can build one - and have done so, and I know "larger" linear power supplies are readily available, but I have several electronic devices scattered about the household that use 12 Volt wall warts that all radiate to some degree. I would like to have quiet, unobtrusive replacements for these.

73
Chip
AE5KA

On 8/25/2016 5:03 PM, CStratton groups@... [4sqrp] wrote:
Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

ag1p@...

I purchased several Radio Shack wall warts a while back to replace the noisy ones that came with electronics. Don't know if they are still available but they cut down my background noise substantially. Then we moved to OR coast where salt fog and transformer insulators don't play well together so QRM is back.

72 - Ron - AG1P

Dale Putnam

How many are you looing for Chip, I have a number of them.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Anthony DeStefano

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016, at 05:03 PM, CStratton groups@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Rick Bennett

Mouser electronics still has some also but slim pickin's and somewhat hard to find in their search engine.  Try this link.

http://www.mouser.com/Triad-Magnetics/Power/Power-Supplies/Plug-In-AC-Adapters/Wall-Mount-AC-Adapters/_/N-brwlv?P=1yx5k7vZ1yzv4u1Z1z0zldjZ1yxt7ffZ1yxt791Z1z0jcud

de KC0PET, Rick

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Rick Bennett

Looks like these are not regulated, so the Jameco option is probably best.

Rick

From: "Anthony DeStefano adx@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
To: "CStratton groups@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>, "CStratton" Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:42:48 PM

Jameco still sells them.

-Anthony WR3T

--
Anthony DeStefano
adx@...

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016, at 05:03 PM, CStratton groups@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

random.path

Thanks to all who have replied!

Dale thinks he has three he can supply me. Terry's solution would work too, but I can't find those GE wall warts for less than $10 each now. The Jameco product for $15.00 that Anthony shared looks like the perfect thing. Their data sheet shows good regulation between no load and 1 amp, and their schematic shows a voltage regulator IC that is supposed to be a linear device.

Looks like I should be good to go.

Chip
AE5KA

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM, CStratton <groups@...> wrote:
Anyone have a line on a 12 Volt linear wall warts? There used to be so many... Trying to cut down on the RFI in my house, and switching wall warts seem to be a big contributor and about all I can seem to find.

I'm looking for something that gives about 1 amp at 12 Volts and is regulated. Linearly! And is not terribly expensive so I can buy a few of them.

I suppose an alternative would be a very RF quiet switching wall wart if someone has first hand knowledge of one of those......

73
Chip Stratton
AE5KA

Dale Putnam

Hey Chip,

  Bad news.. they don't test out.. I have three 13.8v 1a .. but they make noise now.. sounds like the insulation on the transformers.. or possible caps issue.. they are sealed.. of course. So.. maybe Terry or Anthony would be a better choice at this point. Sorry.. guess I should a tested em first.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy