What's going on around your shack?

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm all
Been a long Hot busy summer in SE KS!
Fall is trying to arrive, but summer temps keep pushing it back!!
It's going to be 70 dog here today, doesn't get any better than that!!

What's have you all got going on?
Building or adding antennas getting ready for the dark cold days of winter??
Piling kits up to build?
Cleaning up leaves?

We just got back from Eureka Springs AR for a fall break, wow was it ever nice down there this time of year, if I was retired, we would have been looking for a cabin to buy!!

Keep a eye on the reflector for the announcement
Of the "Bayou Jumper" kit which will be released in the next few weeks.
Dave and Jim have been working out the details on this exciting "paraset like" kit since we left Ozarkcon!
Here is the preview link:

Craig, AA0ZZ is wrapping up on his Internal version of the EK III.
It's a nice small internal Meyer that can be added to your Qrp rigs, very nice!

We're also looking at the SMD version of the same kit
For those of you that want try your hand at SMD building without breaking the bank!!!
Very, very small and low parts count!!
Keep an eye out for the release of this this sweet little kit.

Hope you guys are having a wonderful fall!

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

Ray Cadmus

How do you find time to do all that and work too?  I'm retired and don't get nearly that much done.

As far as antenna work - I'm still waiting for the chance to tell our HOA that we need to talk...

ray    W9EUM

--

On 11/03/2016 11:23 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Colin Evans

Wow, that kit is seriously cool!

I've even wanting to build a rig into a wooden box for a few years. I bought a box but never built a circuit to fit in it.

I haven't been this fired up about a kit release since Steve KD1JV's first MTR!

Waiting patiently.......

Colin M1BUU

Haworth, West Yorkshire, England

Wayne Dillon

Well, seeing as how you asked...
The one project I've been attempting to get done for quite a while is my 124'6" wahr so that I an get on 80 and top band. Finally got it up last weekend then I managed to mess up the coax connector at the shack end! Got replacements in yesterday and remade the PL259 to antenna switch connection. Got done and then had to call the early and late 40m nets (which I do using the G5RVjr) so no time to play 160/80 last night either, however.... the weekend is almost upon us so...
On another note, I've managed to juggle my other responsibiliteis to continue the Wednesday evening 40m nets so I guess I'm back in the saddle again. That's OK though, I'm kinda addicted to 40 and the nets anyway. Can't guarantee every Wednesday but I'll try and make more than I miss.
OK, back to work, See you all on the bands.
72/3 es God Bless all de Wayne - NQ0RP

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

AG1P Ron

During the last storm, the high winds sent my stealth 40M loop to the antenna-eating sand dune. Have gathered it up and will raise it yet again - hopefully later today or tomorrow.

As far as melting solder, am in the middle of two restorations - Hallicrafters SX-130 and S-38C.  Thought they would make good partners with my NS-40 and Magic Box.

72 - Ron - AG1P

Waldport, Oregon

[...]

Paul Smith

Hello All Hi Johnny

 We had a tornado sneak through here a while back. It took a 40 hunk of pecan tree and crushed our 6 month old travel trailer. In the process it took all my wires out too. We pick up the new camper tomorrow and I have put up a new doublet and a zepp for 80 meters. Anyhow the Jumper sounds great. I will have to have one. Thats all here cul de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

[...]

Glad all is Better Paul
Your new doublet sounds good on the air, but we are close!
Been getting ready for winter today.
Played around on 30 meters and rearranged the wood pile!
72
Johnny

On Thursday, November 3, 2016, Paul Smith psmith61@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

gary rheuark <garyk5qnm@...>

Hello all.....I have been spending time helping to design a 1 milliwatt A3 transmitter-receiver for 2445 MHZ.....Gary...K5QNM.

[...]

Cut in a permanent cable entrance early this year and installed a new
storm window since no cables were sneaking out under the main window any
more.

Put two new dual band 2m/70cm antennas up, one for voice and the other
for APRS on Memorial Day with runs of LMR-400 up the tower.

Dug in a pair of conduits between the cable entrance and the tower on
Independence Day and installed new runs of LMR-400 between the entrance
box and the tower box where there is a bulkhead bus grounding buss bar.
Connected to the shack cables in the entrance box with PolyPhasers, and
all of this is bonded to the ground system.

Built and put up a new doublet that I use primarily on 80 and 160m.
Used PE jacketed stranded CopperWeld from the Wireman for the flat top
as well as that style of 450 ohm window lead. I completed that just
prior to Field Day. The doublet is connected to an Array Solutions open
wire lighting protector.

Made up cables using LMR-240 from the shack to the PolyPhasers. The
extra shielding seems to have helped.

Worked the KS QSO Party.

Not a whole lot else!

Still have a Magic Box and Ozark Patrol to complete. Perhaps this
winter those will get done.

72, Nate

Chris Howard w0ep

I'm finally getting the SS-40TX put together.

I need to make a couple more jumpers and I can start
getting the RX and TX lashed up and in a box.

I was doing the tune-up as I went along with the parts placement,
as the instructions said. Things were sort of odd. I finally
figured out I had swapped 68 pf where 6.8 pf was supposed to be!

I hope to be able to use it this winter.

My cobbled up LCR meter is dying. I need to either rebuild
it on a new circuit board or just buy one of the ones
available on ebay for about $20 and put it in the same box.
I waited too long and never did buy the AADE one.

And, I'm running a 100 watt LPFM radio station out of
my radio shack / test bench / home office. The transmitter
is on 24x7 and the fan is noisy. I really need to either
buy a shed or build a small building here on the property
where I can put this LPFM stuff and get it out of the house.

Chris
w0ep
and www.wmfh-lp.org

http://4sqrp.com/kits/Bayou%20Jumper/bayoujumper.php
Craig, AA0ZZ is wrapping up on his Internal version of the EK III.
It's a nice small internal Meyer that can be added to your Qrp rigs, very nice!

We're also looking at the SMD version of the same kit
For those of you that want try your hand at SMD building without breaking the bank!!!
Very, very small and low parts count!!
Keep an eye out for the release of this this sweet little kit.

Hope you guys are having a wonderful fall!

QRP....."More smiles per Watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ ..

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Nate
Wow, you have been a busy beaver!!
Good to hear from u!

On Thursday, November 3, 2016, Nate Bargmann n0nb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

I had planned it for long enough that it was time to do it!

72, Nate

John Raynsford

 Howdy to all. Built the 20 & 40 mtr versions of the Universal 1 Watter
by W8DIZ. Having fun with that now that winter has arrived here.

72/73 de AL7JK, John

Tom Sevart

I hope to get my 40M "Frankenrig" completed soon. It's an NS-40 xmitter, VRX-1 receiver, Norcal keyer, and T/R switch copied from an MFJ-9015. I worked on making the front panel at the builder's meeting at Joe W0MQY's house Thursday evening, and today I'm painting it in between working on other projects.

Sometimes it's so hard to take time away from family to work on radio projects.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

davemrtn

Wow !

Looks like when you finish you will have a monster of a radio !!!

NA1MH

On 11/5/2016 14:31, Tom Sevart tmsevart@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I hope to get my 40M "Frankenrig" completed soon. It's an NS-40
xmitter, VRX-1 receiver, Norcal keyer, and T/R switch copied from an
MFJ-9015. I worked on making the front panel at the builder's meeting
at Joe W0MQY's house Thursday evening, and today I'm painting it in
between working on other projects.

Sometimes it's so hard to take time away from family to work on radio
projects.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

---

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar.

Not much here but I pulled out the old MFK 5 WATT CW rigs and went over them/
No fancy readout but now that the old FBS stations were shut down,there is 1 more pot that can be turned for better sensitivity
The 40 meter has both CW filter and  keyer installed and the 20 meter has the CW filter
APPX 6 watts under the MFJ Power supply
BOB AF2DX