NDBs Logged Tonight

WA0ITP

During the last hour I logged 25 beacons. They included some from IA, KS, MN, MO, CO, NE, ON. These were paper logged and I don't think there's any new one there for me. . I'm moving my logging program from an old XP machine to my new Win10 machine, and it's slow going so far.

One has to listen carefully, tune slow, and stop the dial at the first sound of anything that sounds like a morse character. Listen for 3 or 2 morse characters at 5 wpm. I call this listening deep. Chasing beacons will make you an expert in weak signal detection, and it's great fun.

I used to navigate around the Midwest using these beacons, so I have a special affinity for them. Ask me about my snow storm experience sometime.

If you are interested in logging them this winter, look here http://www.ve3gop.com/
Alex's logger is just excellent and he is, and has been for many years, very helpful and supportive.

Have fun.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Jim Sheldon

Just downloaded VE3GOP's logger and I find it's now $20 US to register
it. Terry, convince me this is a good choice pse.

Jim - W0EB

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: WA0ITP <wa0itp@mchsi.com>
------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

WA0ITP

GM Jim,

Didn't realize that it was $20 now, my copy was registered years ago when it was free.
It may or may not be a good choice for you, depends on how much logging you do, and how precise you want to be.  Suggest paper logging abt 20 stations, and then log them in your trial version for comparison.  Verifying the station info in a database and entering it into a list will be the big time difference.  The logger does that automatically.

btw all disclaimers apply

GL and have fun.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 12/22/2016 8:22 AM, 'Jim Sheldon' w0eb@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Just downloaded VE3GOP's logger and I find it's now $20 US to register
it. Terry, convince me this is a good choice pse.

Jim - W0EB

>During the last hour I logged 25 beacons. They included some from IA,
>KS, MN, MO, CO, NE, ON. These were paper logged and I don't think
>there's any new one there for me. . I'm moving my logging program from
>an old XP machine to my new Win10 machine, and it's slow going so far.
>
>One has to listen carefully, tune slow, and stop the dial at the first
>sound of anything that sounds like a morse character. Listen for 3 or
>2
>morse characters at 5 wpm. I call this listening deep. Chasing beacons
>will make you an expert in weak signal detection, and it's great fun.
>
>I used to navigate around the Midwest using these beacons, so I have a
>special affinity for them. Ask me about my snow storm experience
>sometime.
>
>If you are interested in logging them this winter, look here
>http://www.ve3gop.com/
>Alex's logger is just excellent and he is, and has been for many years,
>very helpful and supportive.
>
>Have fun.
>
>--
>72 WAØITP
>I love this radio stuff.
>www.wa0itp.com
>www.4sqrp.com
>

>------------------------------------
>Posted by: WA0ITP
>------------------------------------
>
>4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
>Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016
>View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
>------------------------------------
>
>Yahoo Groups Links

Dennis Gaskill

Here is a list of North American beacons

Just use the search function in your web browser to find the Call Sign you think you heard.

The noise is pretty bad .
I learned a little abut digging slow CW out of the noise.
I think I was approaching 50 beacons.

My QTH is close to Wichita, Ks so most beacons are I hear are ...........whadda you know , in the 4SQRP area.
Oklahoma, Kansas , Iowa, Texas, Missouri
The modulation or tone is kinda weird on many of them . You have to tune carefully and play with all
your filters. I am using a Kenwood 590SG and a 130 ft OFC for a antenna.

Dennis KC0IFQ

Sam Neal

What receivers/antennas are y'all using. I only hear HRD on about 423 kHz at
the Hardin County airport, Kountze Texas near Beaumont, about 40 miles away,
using a 40 meter dipole. Tomorrow I will try a different receiver.

Sam. Neal. N5AF

Here is a list of North American beacons

http://dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

Just use the search function in your web browser to find the Call Sign you
think you heard.

The noise is pretty bad .
I learned a little abut digging slow CW out of the noise.
I think I was approaching 50 beacons.

My QTH is close to Wichita, Ks so most beacons are I hear are
...........whadda you know , in the 4SQRP area.
Oklahoma, Kansas , Iowa, Texas, Missouri
The modulation or tone is kinda weird on many of them . You have to tune
carefully and play with all
your filters. I am using a Kenwood 590SG and a 130 ft OFC for a antenna.

Dennis KC0IFQ

Dennis Gaskill

I recounted the beacons, I had copied and I it was approaching 40 .......I only had 38 ......
You want to tune slowly , because the CW is so slow that there is a pretty good gap before the beacon starts over .
If you do PSK you can look for the signals on the waterfall as you sweep the band .

Dennis KC0IFQ

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Sam Neal <n5af@...> wrote:

[...]

Great fun.  I use an Icom 756 Pro III, LSB, and 1.8k filter setting.  It takes me about a half hour to scan the band, tuning slow and stopping often, i.e. listening deep. Some signals are right at the noise level.  I'm thinking that a low pass filter in front of the receiver to knock down the broadcast band would be useful. I'm getting some mixing products and overloading due to a BCB station about 2 miles away.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 12/26/2016 12:29 AM, Dennis Gaskill gaskilldg@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

John Raynsford

Thanks for the link Dennis, KC0IFQ. Rummaged through
some boxes and dug out my Palomar Engineers VLF
converter, listening to Dutch Harbor on 283 khz. Haven't
tuned through those frequencies in years !

72/73 to all  de AL7JK

On Monday, December 26, 2016 5:34 AM, "WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Many modern rigs made by Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom etc. will tune in those LF bands.

I used to log a LOT Of the LF beacons while listening on a SONY ICF-2010 which gave remarkably good reception at LF.

Bry AF4K

Thanks for the link Dennis, KC0IFQ. Rummaged through
some boxes and dug out my Palomar Engineers VLF
converter, listening to Dutch Harbor on 283 khz. Haven't
tuned through those frequencies in years !

72/73 to all  de AL7JK

On Monday, December 26, 2016 5:34 AM, "WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Great fun.  I use an Icom 756 Pro III, LSB, and 1.8k filter setting.  It takes me about a half hour to scan the band, tuning slow and stopping often, i.e. listening deep. Some signals are right at the noise level.  I'm thinking that a low pass filter in front of the receiver to knock down the broadcast band would be useful. I'm getting some mixing products and overloading due to a BCB station about 2 miles away.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
WAØITP's Ham Radio Web Site Devoted to QRP Operating.
[...]

Here's the low pass filter I am looking to build.
It's built in an Altoids can so it must be official QRP equipment !

Dennis KC0IFQ