Topics

Jumper Crystal Strategy...

Curt

Just thinking about the strategy for using crystals in the Bayou Jumper.  If we modify the crystals or add capacitors etc, while we can achieve the marked frequency it will make it more difficult to contact other Jumpers.  Went down this road with the Rockmite, if want to QSO with other Rockmites, stock is the only way to go because they all pull the crystal about the same way.

Of course, suppose will mod one 7.122 to allow being right on the 7.122 frequency.

Thoughts?

72, Curt KB5JO

Cecil Bayona <cecil.bayona@...>

It used to be the norm that one would tune around to find another ham on a different frequency other than your own crystal frequency since all the novices were rock bound and often their crystals did not match. Since the receiver can tune around quite a ways it should not be a problem it crystals don't match, it would not hurt to relearn old skills that can come in handy.

On 12/27/2016 8:02 AM, rhulett1@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Just thinking about the strategy for using crystals in the Bayou
Jumper. If we modify the crystals or add capacitors etc, while we can
achieve the marked frequency it will make it more difficult to contact
other Jumpers. Went down this road with the Rockmite, if want to QSO
with other Rockmites, stock is the only way to go because they all pull
the crystal about the same way.

Of course, suppose will mod one 7.122 to allow being right on the 7.122
frequency.

Thoughts?

72, Curt KB5JO

Posted by: rhulett1@...

Curt

Curt

I was playing with my wheatstone bridge regen.  I have not measured its passband, but I would guess it may be a kHz or a little more (but I am speculating - read on).  so if the spread of everyone's supplied crystals is a few hundred Hz (likely it is much less), I suspect you may be chasing a rabbit here!

I imagine that Jim has likely measured the passband of his regen design - obviously it is operator dependent,  I have not ordered yet, but I could lash my WBR with my homebrew transmitter (actually it is nearly the same as that Jim used in his prototype - a tuna tin + a MOSFET PA) to join in, if I am brave enough.

when I was last playing with the WBR I tuned to a Caribbean DX station running split -- I could hear the signals up 1 kHz calling him also at the same time -- but they were weaker -- possibly mostly due to the propagation skip zone perhaps.

I am thinking that the Q of all the components in the regen oscillator may determine the sharpness in tuning (which is still rather broad) -- the toroid and the varactor may dominate.  likely it means my WBR may behave similar to the regen in the Bayou jumper.

meanwhile I have read your emails enough that you, like me, will enjoy nearly any rig placed in front of us to operate.  enjoy!  belated merry Christmas and upcoming new year.

Curt

John C. Demuth - K8CQA

For those not using the "Jumper", most modern rigs have an all-too-often-unused control marked "RIT" ... some may want to consult their manuals to learn the benefits (i.e., more contacts!) which can be gained by using this simple control.

72 de John - K8CQA

Curt

John

I imagine zero beat to ones regen is a challenge,  so indeed someone using a modern rig may need the RIT.  on the regen side, no real need for a RIT, as the passband is wide and the transmit has its own oscillator.  a lot happens when we use a superhet and regen in a qso.

I could integrate my regen, xtal xmtr and magic box.  this might acquaint me how much I really want a regen based rig!

73 curt

Curt

Added a trimmer to the 7.122 rock, mainly so could adjust transmit to 7.122.  Doubt if folks on a 4s net would be listening for or hear me down on 7.121.

Well recall 1963 with one crystal for 40M.  Call CQ and listen over several kilocycles for an answer from other novices with a different crystal.

72, Curt KB5JO

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

That is exactly right Curt - and that IS how we operate in the NRR. Tune around 7100 - 7125 and you will hear signals working each other on two different frequencies.

Listen especially FEB 18  -27 UTC. For the 2017 event, see:

http://NoviceRigRoundup.com

novicerigroundup.com
ANNOUNCING NOVICE RIG ROUNDUP 2017!!! The dates are 0000 UTC on FEB 18 through 0000 UTC on FEB 27, 2017 GOOD NEWS: THAT WILL COVER two full weekends!

Added a trimmer to the 7.122 rock, mainly so could adjust transmit to 7.122.  Doubt if folks on a 4s net would be listening for or hear me down on 7.121.

Well recall 1963 with one crystal for 40M.  Call CQ and listen over several kilocycles for an answer from other novices with a different crystal.

72, Curt KB5JO

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

What about the color burst frequency? I heard some CW activity there last night.

73,

Bill KU8H

<http://novicerigroundup.com/>

NOVICE RIG ROUNDUP 2017 <http://novicerigroundup.com/>