Sockets

keith ford

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Ariel Jacala

Brian

I am interested

Ariel NY4G

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 12:30 PM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

RCWeeks <neotoxo54@...>

Keith,

Thanks for offering these sockets.

Please include me in the responces for the drawing.

RWeeks, AF5AF

On 12/29/2016 11:29 AM, Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Bob Nelson

Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house and socket
crystals worth the time and bother??
Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board, that can
generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters.  And do it from one
crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs to be plugged
in or out, so needs no socket.
Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand grinding,
and all the risk and bother that entails.

Just asking.  .  .
73 - Bob, K6KL

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Bob - it is more the fun factor. Hams love to experiment!

Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house and socket
crystals worth the time and bother??
Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board, that can
generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters.  And do it from one
crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs to be plugged
in or out, so needs no socket.
Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand grinding,
and all the risk and bother that entails.

Just asking.  .  .
73 - Bob, K6KL

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Bob Nelson

Bry, fun is fine.  But why not use the
same time and effort to build skills with lasting
value, that can be applied to other areas as well?

I did some xtal grinding back in the 1950's, when
I was a young Novice, and if I had had access to
the kind of digital products we have now, I'd have
been able to learn new things that could be applied
to other technical subjects.

One thing I believe I have learned about operating the
HF bands is that frequency diversity if far more productive
than being rockbound to a single freq for every xtal you
happen to own.

IMHO, it's a lot more valuable to build new tech skills
(and knowledge) than it is to learn that Bon Ami is the
best stuff to rub a wafer with.

73 - Bob, K6KL  (in frozen North Dakota)

[...]

Bob,

I am a neophyte to all this Ham stuff, only having my tickets for 14 months BUT IMHO is isn't so much about the effort as it is about the nostalgia AND learning both old and new stuff.

Your reference to a 'DDFS board' sent me searching to find out what that was...what I found was just as interesting as is this 'crystal' grinding/making information.

Just maybe another item to add to my ever growing skills list.

All this ham stuff just amazes me.� Good Luck, 73s

RWeeks, AF5AF

On 12/29/2016 12:04 PM, Bry Carling af4k@... [4sqrp] wrote:
�

[...]

Lon Shelton <lon.shelton@...>

Good Morning all,

Love reading the threads on this group.  Great information and wonderful exchange of ideas.  Name is Lon/N5DJY  4sqrp 1295.  If anyone is interested in trying to contact Washington State with their HB rigs, I will be on 7.122 for about half hour sending CQ.  Be gentle, I am relearning my CW so probably cannot keep up with most of you…

73

Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house and socket

crystals worth the time and bother??

Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board, that can

generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters.  And do it from one

crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs to be plugged

in or out, so needs no socket.

Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand grinding,

and all the risk and bother that entails.

Just asking.  .  .

73 - Bob, K6KL

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

I am sure that there is more to it than that. Some of us greatly enjoy the nostalgia factor too. that is why there are operating events and there is great popularity for running old tube gear.  Yes, some of us may learn lessons that seem redundant, or futile to others, when we operate or repair those older rigs. Why not ONLY run an HB1B or some other DDS gizmo? You will have to ask the guys that love old technology. I can't answer for them. I also won't try to argue with them that they should step in line.

The great thing about amateur radio is we have SO MANY avenues to explore! One man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

Some guys just like to do things that you or I may not understand. Let's leave it at that and let them enjoy themselves.

73 de AF4K, Bry

Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house and socket
crystals worth the time and bother??
Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board, that can
generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters.  And do it from one
crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs to be plugged
in or out, so needs no socket.
Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand grinding,
and all the risk and bother that entails.

Just asking.  .  .
73 - Bob, K6KL

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243 sockets.

Sam Neal

Hello Lon,

I am listening now ( 3 PM and will be in the shack until approximately 8 PM
CST. Hope we can make it.

73,

Sam Neal N5AF
4SQRP #82

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@yahoo.com
[4sqrp]" <mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com> <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw from the
response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6 of my ft-243
sockets.

Keith kf4tap

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad <https://yho.com/footer0>

Bill Cromwell

Hi Bob,

What Bry said. It's about enjoyment. Why bother to build a regen receiver when the effort and expense gets you a superhet? Why build a MOPA when the expense and effort get you a superhet design with SSB and etc. It's all about the fun factor. And...we get to hone some skills that apply across the board.

Whatever floats *your* boat - go for it! And tell us about it.

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

Ariel Jacala

Hi

Speaking for myself, I have built a K1, K2, KX1, KX3, various YouKits,  all very fine rigs with all the modern technologies and VFO but I get excited even more by building something out of the past to experience a little bit what it was like to be a radio man 70 years ago.  That is what this kit is all about.   I am a relatively new ham (licensed 7 years ago) and never experienced what it was like "in the old days".  Single crystal, the echo of the regen - all great stuff.   Thanks to the 4 State QRP guys for coming up with a great idea.  I can't wait.

Ariel NY4G

On 12/29/2016 12:52 PM, Bob Nelson rln37@... [4sqrp] wrote:
> Please excuse my skepticism, but is all this effort to re-grind, house
> and socket
> crystals worth the time and bother??
> Why not invest the same time and effort into building a DDFS board,
> that can
> generate almost any freq you might want on, say, 40 meters. And do it
> from one
> crystal that is readily available for a buck or two, and never needs
> to be plugged
> in or out, so needs no socket.
> Modern tech has eliminated the need to labor over crystals with hand
> grinding,
> and all the risk and bother that entails.
>
> Just asking. . .
> 73 - Bob, K6KL
>

> On Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:30 AM, "Brian Ford kf4tap@...
> [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:
>

> Since it is the holidays, I'll add to the give a way, I'll draw
> from the response's over the next 24 hours, and draw names, for 6
> of my ft-243 sockets.
>
> Keith kf4tap
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
bark less - wag more

Don Wilhelm

I can appreciate your efforts to re-create some of the gear that we worked with "way back when". However as a old-timer, I have done that a long time ago when I was learning what this hobby is all about.
I am hardware oriented, so the RasberryPi does not interest me much, but high performance gear constructed with modern parts does fit within my interests. In other words, I like modern designs that push the state of the art rather than things that are retro.

Yes, I have built the K1, K2, KX1 and all the options associated with those kits. I have a KX3 and a K3 and enjoy every minute with them. In fact, I enjoy a good business repairing those Elecraft legacy line kits.

So what am I saying? I enjoy hardware challenges, but I expect them to be state of the art designs. A regen receiver is fun to play with for a time, but the fun wears off after a short time. Making contacts with minimalist gear is just not my style.

Sorry if I have "rained on anyone's parade", but I do not see advancement of the communications art by constructing retro gear.

73,
Don W3FPR