From: 4sqrp@... <4sqrp@...> on behalf of pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:17 AM
To: 4sqrp@...
Subject: [4sqrp] Bayou Jumper Regen setup

I got my Bayou Jumper up and running this evening...the transmit side is fine...although my crystals are both a bit low but that is not my problem...

My receiver side is working but I have no idea WHERE it is on the frequency spectrum...I can pick up allot of Spanish speaking stations but can't figure out what freq they are on...I tried using my General Coverage Receiver  but still can't figure out where they are.

Also, the spot function doesn't seem to be working BUT I presume that is because the tuning is way off...I have poured over the instructions but can't find a solution.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated....thanks

Ariel Jacala

Make the antenna shown in the photos section or as shown blow

Then drape it on the BJ

Hunt for where the tone is on the listening transceiver.  Make sure you are hearing the regen hiss. - move the pot from the high side to the low side and see where it is on both ends

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 4, 2017, at 01:17, pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I got my Bayou Jumper up and running this evening...the transmit side is fine...although my crystals are both a bit low but that is not my problem...

My receiver side is working but I have no idea WHERE it is on the frequency spectrum...I can pick up allot of Spanish speaking stations but can't figure out what freq they are on...I tried using my General Coverage Receiver  but still can't figure out where they are.

Also, the spot function doesn't seem to be working BUT I presume that is because the tuning is way off...I have poured over the instructions but can't find a solution.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated....thanks

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

There are a few Spanish stations that chat SSB in our 7100 - 7125 "Novice section."  That is what you are hearing.

Bry AF4K

I got my Bayou Jumper up and running this evening...the transmit side is fine...although my crystals are both a bit low but that is not my problem...

My receiver side is working but I have no idea WHERE it is on the frequency spectrum...I can pick up allot of Spanish speaking stations but can't figure out what freq they are on...I tried using my General Coverage Receiver  but still can't figure out where they are.

Also, the spot function doesn't seem to be working BUT I presume that is because the tuning is way off...I have poured over the instructions but can't find a solution.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated....thanks

Curt

Mine was receiving above 7250 when completed after adjusting the trimmer as much as possible.  Squeezing the turns on the coil brought the frequency down, it now tunes 7-7.15.  You will need to listen for the oscillator in a general coverage receiver or use a frequency counter to find the signal.

72, Curt KB5JO

Jim, N5IB

Check over on the Bayou Jumper Yahoo Group (it's a public group so quick sign-up if you're not yet joined
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BayouJumper/info> )

The are some more tips there from me and others about initial set up and getting the tuning range right. Also lots of photos, files, and links

Jim, N5IB

---In 4sqrp@..., <pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@...> wrote :
My receiver side is working but I have no idea WHERE it is on the frequency spectrum...I can pick up allot of Spanish speaking stations but can't figure out what freq they are on...I tried using my General Coverage Receiver  but still can't figure out where they are.

pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@...

Thanks to all for your suggestions...and the links...the information there was a big help and here is what I have done today...

Not wanting to fiddle with adjusting the trim capacitors yet I decided to play with the toroids windings....
I made up a short antenna as shown on the Bayou Jumper page and verified what I thought I already knew...the regen circuit was occilating  at 7.269088 Mhz...way too high...so I pulled the radio out of the box and the faceplate off and put the tuning knob and control knob back on...

Then I started moving the turns on the toroid...at first with my fingers but then started using one of those plastic flossing/toothpick tools you buy in big packages.
Anyway, after overshooting in both directions my target I finally got it to squeal at 7.000 Mhz...yea!...
I put the faceplate on and when I put the last screw in (the one closest to the toroid it jumped to 7.004...close enough for Guberment Work and me...whew! what a task...

Re-assembled the entire thing and then mapped out the tuner position to frequencies...it now tunes from 7.004 to 7.150...and I mapped a freq for each position including the 1/2 way points.

I put it on the air and verified my 2 crystals are 7.121 (7.112) and 7.028 {7.030)...no complaints there.  I also checked the Reverse Beacons and had spots from as far away as Canada (approx. 1600 miles) as well as spots from WA, AZ, UT and FL all on 3.2 to 4.4 watts and using an 8-pack of AA Batteries that produced not quite 12VDC so I presume that when I crank it up to 13.6 it should be pushing closer to that 5 watt target.

Now to the Regen positioning....presently it doesn't kick in until about the 9 o'clock position BUT seems to have plenty left all the way to fully clockwise...
This makes me wonder is there is much more to be gained by trying to readjust it back to the 6 o'clock position....

As before, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated...

---In 4sqrp@..., <n5ib@...> wrote :

Check over on the Bayou Jumper Yahoo Group (it's a public group so quick sign-up if you're not yet joined
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BayouJumper/info> )

The are some more tips there from me and others about initial set up and getting the tuning range right. Also lots of photos, files, and links

Jim, N5IB

---In 4sqrp@..., <pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@...> wrote :
My receiver side is working but I have no idea WHERE it is on the frequency spectrum...I can pick up allot of Spanish speaking stations but can't figure out what freq they are on...I tried using my General Coverage Receiver  but still can't figure out where they are.

Jim, N5IB

Glad to hear you got the tuning range sorted out. ...I had to grin diabolically when I read that you didn't want to fiddle with the trimmers.  I put them in the circuit because lots of folks hate to fiddle with toroids - hi

Concerning the regeneration. Let me be sure I'm interpreting you right. The fully CCW position is what I call 7 o'clock, mid scale is 12, and fully CW is about 5, right.

Since most of the time you'll be operating the Rx just past the onset of oscillation it only matters that you can go into and out of oscillation smoothly.. It does help to have a lot of regeneration available in reserve  if you have to deal with a strong signal that tries to pull or block the detector. The spotting function will do better also if regeneration is robust. That's why I like to set mine with the onset of oscillation at about 30% of the way up from fully CCW. I crank it full bore when spotting.

Jim, N5IB

Now to the Regen positioning....presently it doesn't kick in until about the 9 o'clock position BUT seems to have plenty left all the way to fully clockwise...
This makes me wonder is there is much more to be gained by trying to readjust it back to the 6 o'clock position....

Bill Noyce

Looking at the Tx schematic, I wonder if the intent was to have Rx mode provide power only to the xtal oscillator but not the IRF-510.  That would let you have a low-power 'spot' ... but as drawn that's not what happens.  Another diode like D1 would be needed to isolate the IRF-510, I think.
  -- Bill, AB1AV

Jim, N5IB

Dave says that Q4 needs to provide a little bit of gain or Q5 won't oscillate. Look at SW1a - notice that in Rx mode the source of Q4 is pulled to ground through R17 and the key, while it is directly grounded by the key in Tx mode.

Jim, N5IB

---In 4sqrp@..., <WBNoyce@...> wrote :
Looking at the Tx schematic, I wonder if the intent was to have Rx mode provide power only to the xtal oscillator but not the IRF-510.  That would let you have a low-power 'spot' ... but as drawn that's not what happens.  Another diode like D1 would be needed to isolate the IRF-510, I think.
  -- Bill, AB1AV

pkfspo2fvm3t4okbh2yd3tkzw6bblzcdrjoscwip@...

Well I think have the beast tamed or at least calm enough to be able to stand along side it in the coral.

As to the Regen Setup....Originally it wasn't kicking in until it reached the 3 o'clock position (Looking straight down on it)....SO...I tried adjusting the C21 trimmer...didn't have much luck so I play with the tickler windings...same result.

Mulled it over in my mind and decided that I should try installing the C31 capacitor...BINGO!....actually with C31 it went into ocsillations at the minimum setting.  SO, I turned it over and started adjusting the C21 again...Now we are getting somewhere.   Had it set to kick in at the 12 o'clock position but once I put it all back together it slipped back to the 9 'clock position. Which is fine for now.  At minimum no oscillation.  Start turning the Regen knob and she comes to life at about 9 o'clock.  If I decide to tweet it some more that will be easy enough....just pull 4 screws and adjust some more on C21...

Thanks to all for your help.  Fun little rig to play with.  72s   AF5AF

Tim

About same experience here adding C31 back in helped a lot!
Now to get SPOT working correct!
Tim W4YN

Thanks to the input of everyone, I have my BJ regen tweaked in. The
range is approximately 7.000 MHx to 7.138 MHz.

Initially the midway point on the dial was about 7.400 MHz and
compressing the 19 turns brought it close to 7.050 MHz. Then I found
the 0 point was well below the bottom of the band. So a bit more
tweaking with the turns and C30 it is where I want it for now. It helps
to have a K3 along with a P3 panadapter to figure out where the
oscillator is!

With just an alligator clip I was receiving several CW stations so this
is a hot receiver.

My regneration control is at around the 3 O'clock point when oscillation
begins but I haven't tried tweaking it per the manual yet.

I have a head cold as of this morning and I probably shouldn't have
fooled with it at all as I need to look for a white Sharpie to color in
a scratch I made. At least now it's personalized. Sigh...

72, Nate