Topics

Crystal spotting using the Crystal Across Antenna terminals method

Jim Sheldon

For those of you who still think the crystal spotting method AC0BQ, N5IB
and myself plus a few others have been talking about, here's info from a
completely unrelated website talking about Paraset crystal spotting --

Jim - W0EB

Paraset crystal spotting info can be found at the following URL. See
Item 22 in his report. I don't know if the first method mentioned can
be duplicated as the Bayou Jumper is a solid state rig, but he also
makes mention of putting the crystal in series with the antenna
(basically the same way we're saying to do it).

Here's proof that what Johnny, AC0BQ, myself and others have been saying
actually works and will work every time if the RX is working and the
crystal is good.,

Jim - W0EB

http://www.sm7ucz.se/a_www_paraset_co_uk/photo_gallery_w0rw.htm

From W0RW's Black Paraset Build Report Rev H.

22. Paraset Frequency Spotting...

Here is a way to spot your transmit frequency on your Paraset..

Just add a 0.5 Megohm resistor (1/2W) from Input B+ to the transmitter
B+ line.

(This can be done right across the T/R switch).

This keeps a small amount of B+ on the transmitter while you are in
receive and when you push the key down the oscillator should take off.

You will have to back off the regen a little (varying the regen control
changes the frequency so you have to keep it constant) and you might
have to trim the tank capacitor, but this will turn the oscillator on
and allow you to spot your transmit frequency on the receiver.

The 'spot' may just sound like a chirp but you will be able to spot the
frequency.

The resistance value will vary with your B+ value and the activity of
your oscillator circuit.

You can also put your crystal in series with your antenna and tune
around until you hear a pop.

Curt

I can certainly testify that it works as advertised.  But, I have a communications rcvr on the desk, so just use that listening for the regen oscillator.  The crystal on the antenna terminals would of course be very useful in the field.

72, Curt KB5JO

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Yes exactly Curt,

With another receiver in the shack, you can easily spot both the transmitter AND the regenerative receiver and see that they are on the same frequency.

Bry Carling.,

AFK Crystals Co.

I can certainly testify that it works as advertised.  But, I have a communications rcvr on the desk, so just use that listening for the regen oscillator.  The crystal on the antenna terminals would of course be very useful in the field.

72, Curt KB5JO

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Yes it will. Jim is right. Touching the antenna to the crystal produces a burst of wideband noise onto the terminals of the crystal, enough to excite it and pass some of that filtered noise burst into the antenna terminal and enable you to spot that receiver.

Bry Carling, AF4K

For those of you who still think the crystal spotting method AC0BQ, N5IB
and myself plus a few others have been talking about, here's info from a
completely unrelated website talking about Paraset crystal spotting --

Jim - W0EB

Paraset crystal spotting info can be found at the following URL. See
Item 22 in his report. I don't know if the first method mentioned can
be duplicated as the Bayou Jumper is a solid state rig, but he also
makes mention of putting the crystal in series with the antenna
(basically the same way we're saying to do it).

Here's proof that what Johnny, AC0BQ, myself and others have been saying
actually works and will work every time if the RX is working and the
crystal is good.,

Jim - W0EB

http://www.sm7ucz.se/a_www_paraset_co_uk/photo_gallery_w0rw.htm

From W0RW's Black Paraset Build Report Rev H.

[...]

Wayne Dillon

I have a question,
Does the "Crystal across the antenna terminals" method work for all (or most) regen receivers?
Thanks es God Bless de Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Wayne
It works in my Tube Type Paraset Replica.
That's how I discovered the idea!
Thanks to the paraset reflector.
72
Johnny