Topics

Antennas and equipment issues...

Wayne Dillon

Good afternoon all,
Well I set to to try and discover what had gone amiss with my (fairly) new 124'6" wahr and why I couldn't get it to go on 80/160. It used to, it really did. My G5RV Jr was still tuning up on 40m but was showing signs of not wanting to on anything other than 40/20m. I had a sinking feeling that my AT100ProII was giving trouble  so I decided to eliminate one component at a time. Where the antenna co-ax feeders come into the shack I have a 4 position co-ax switch. I disconnected the 124'6" wahr and bypassed the switch with a spare female to female connector. Selected 80m on the radio and hey presto, tuned right up. The same on all bands, works a treat. Performed the same bypass with the G5RV Jr and again it tuned on all bands 40-6 (as usual 15m was difficult). So the issue was with the 4 way antenna switch. Now for the kicker, it is an MFJ switch, big solid cast body, they are getting it back with a seriously ticked off note telling them that their product should last longer than about a year. I should have known, I have had trouble with every MFJ antenna switch I've ever used, you'd think I'd have known better than to get another. Lesson learned, I should have forked over the extra $10.00 and bought an Alpha-Delta, I've never heard anything bad about that product.
Bottom line, I'll help Paul out this week (and following weeks) with an extra 80m net, 40 doesn't look like improving anytime soon so we'll leave 40m alone for a while.
so, Wednesday evening, 19:30 local 3.564 and let's see if we can scare up a little action on 80. I hope Paul can call an 80m net at 20:00 local, it'll be interesting to see what shakes loose.
Blessings all es vy 72/3 de Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

David Wilcox

Just open your MFJ switch, clean the contacts, realign the parts, and reassemble.  Make sure everything is tight.  You will be good for another couple of years.  I won't buy anything but an alpha delta now but I still use my MFJs at home in the shack.  How did I find this out?  Was out in the field for communications for a cross country run when my reception started to be intermittent.  Did a quick fix in the field and finished the day.  There is a steel spring like finger with a contact at the end and if aggressively cranked you can bend the spring and disrupt the contact (at least on the two way antenna switch).  Some of my old B & W switches haven't failed me in 50 years.  They just don't look as pretty.

Dave K8WPE

On Jan 23, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Wayne Dillon wayne.dillon@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

What is a "Wahr?"

[...]

www.4sqrp.com
Welcome to the web home of the Four States QRP Group, devoted to low power (QRP) amateur radio building and operation. Club Call Sign WQ5RP
Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

David Wilcox

A "Wahr" is a type of wire us mostly in the South for antenna building.  It seems to hold up better in the tornadoes and hurricanes.  The Wharman sells it from N. Carolina.  I used to use it but it doesn't like the cold climate in N. michigan.

Dave K8WPE

On Jan 23, 2017, at 6:39 PM, Bry Carling af4k@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

What is a "Wahr?"

[...]

Jim Sheldon

That's Redneck speak for "Wire" - LOL

W0EB

On Jan 23, 2017, at 5:39 PM, Bry Carling af4k@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

What is a "Wahr?"

[...]

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Good explanation Dave.   Very creative.

Apparently  there is a latitude where north is too far north.

I say that because I think Terry WA0ITP has had some success using Whar antennas in Ottumwa Iowa.

NA1MH

On 1/23/2017 17:43, David Wilcox djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the mis-spelling, it should have been "Wahr".

On 1/23/2017 17:54, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Dale Putnam

I've had good luck with the wahr antennas ... mostly long ones. Like an double edz for 80m center fed with window line. If you want to hear it.. come listen to it on 14.0625 Tues afternoon at 4pm MT or about 4:20 on 7.0625 .. just listen for the RMRC net. (cw practice net, no Q signals, just at your speed cw.)

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"
1856 - Abraham Lincoln

[...]

WA0ITP

Roger on the Southern Iowa Wahr ants, they work FB here.  I hear that there are lots of them stored in Wahrhouses in MO, OK, AR, and KS in case of a Zombie Apocalypse.  :o)

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

[...]

Ken Talbott

Wahr rhymes with the fahr ants we now find at the Cleveland County Fairground, home of the Shelby, NC hamfest. Come on out Labor Day weekend, but if you camp watch out for the fahr ants – and extinguish your camp fahr!

Ken – ke4rg